Wow

tantor
Board Meister

Wow

Post by tantor »

So looking at the Castanet poll Canadians are once again going to vote for one of the big 2. What goes through your minds? How many times do you have to touch a hot stove? Almost a century of these parties ruling and it is the same thing over and over again. Oh maybe this time it will be a different outcome right? Neither one of these parties deserve to even have a platform anymore. Canadians just can't seem to get enough of ever increasing taxes and unfettered government intrusion into every aspect of their lives. Well I can make a very solid prediction right now! A year after this next election everyone is going to be crying about the exact same thing that they have been the last time their choice of these two parties were in power. The same the next election cycle and the same the one after that. Canadian's just can't seem to jump off of the hamster wheel of history so you are doomed to repeat it again and again. Lol have fun trapped in your endless circle. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
jimmy4321
Guru

Re: Wow

Post by jimmy4321 »

While I appreciate Castanets allowing this forum to exist. Castanet polls on who'll you'll vote for in this election is kinda like asking who in church believes in sin.
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

jimmy4321 wrote:While I appreciate Castanets allowing this forum to exist. Castanet polls on who'll you'll vote for in this election is kinda like asking who in church believes in sin.

I pray you are right, all I have to go on is this poll and the last century of Canadian's voting habits. Looking back over my shoulder as far as the eye can see, I fail see where we have driven off the beaten path.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Since Castanet does not require a login to vote anyone can vote. Also the vote is once per device not user. If I vote on my phone then I can also vote on my computer and tablet. 3 votes.
And if you are savvy enough you will know what "cookie" was placed into your device and be able to delete it and vote again. The only way for Castanet to have a more accurate poll is to have a vote tied to a user name. Otherwise the vote result can be highly skewed. As I believe this latest one is.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think parties evolve move further left or right, even cover a wider swath when they see where the "win" is.
So 3rd ,4th, 5th place parties face a bleek future, as something like the "Orange Wave" was probably comparable to a 100yr flood and did nothing but made the Liberals aware. So in my uneducated opinion for GREENS, NDP or PPC is to get candidates in the main two big parties and influence within. I mean even a slightly successful protest vote will get you a gov in power that's polar opposite
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

jimmy4321 wrote:I think parties evolve move further left or right, even cover a wider swath when they see where the "win" is.
So 3rd ,4th, 5th place parties face a bleek future, as something like the "Orange Wave" was probably comparable to a 100yr flood and did nothing but made the Liberals aware. So in my uneducated opinion for GREENS, NDP or PPC is to get candidates in the main two big parties and influence within. I mean even a slightly successful protest vote will get you a gov in power that's polar opposite

It's interesting to me that after fracturing the Conservatives have rebuilt their party relatively recently to better represent the center right.

Now their party has fractured again, with the PPC seeming to think there are enough Canadians from further right than the Conservatives for them to form government, which is highly illogical IMO. Despite the campaign rhetoric coming from the left, Canadians en masse don't roll that way. All the PPC has really done is postponed the election of a majority government that is center-right.

Meanwhile the Liberals as a unit have always simply moved their branding further left to follow the votes.

It seems to me that with no reason to do more than a makeover, the Liberals have been rotting from within.
:topic:

Even if the Castanet poll tracked individual "voters" they would need also to track soft vs hard support. In Canada, it's typically the soft support that decides the outcome of any election, and the soft support often shifts massively in the last few days of a campaign based on emotional reaction to something one of the leaders says or does or is caught doing. Last time it was disaffection with the current PM coupled with starry-eyed buy-in of idealism over pragmatism.

There's every reason to believe trying to control this "last minute shift" is why the Liberal party isn't releasing their platform costing until the last minute. They want to craft their messaging around it to "trump" whatever the other parties have promised, and they don't want to allow time for thorough analysis. Perhaps they'll prove me wrong and release it in the next couple of days.

Exit polls show most elections are won or lost more because of political strategizing and game playing than because of policy or performance while on the job.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I think the Liberals covers a wider swath which makes it incredibly more difficult to run. The Liberals really need the ask their potential voters Isn't a little bit of something you want if you vote Liberal, better than a whole lot of nothing if you vote NDP/Green?
Because if your not in power or at least a close opposition, you will have ZERO influence-What did Jack Laytons NDP get out of their success?
Even coalitions are wonkey and much of the electorate see politicians as traitors when its suggested.

Also that question needs to be asked of potential PPC voters from the Conservatives also
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

JagXKR wrote:Since Castanet does not require a login to vote anyone can vote. Also the vote is once per device not user. If I vote on my phone then I can also vote on my computer and tablet.

If you use an incognito tab you can vote unlimitedly on the same device. Just open a tab, vote, close tab and repeat. Requiring a log in is not a bad idea, it'd probably make it more accurate.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Canadians aren't willing, yet, to support the radical changes that the Greens are talking about.

The NDP has lost so much credibility with the voters, and now have a leader who's from an ethnic minority. Dislike it or not, some voters will make their choice based on race/religion. Even with Pharmacare as their main plank, they're struggling.

The Conservatives have a leader who dodges and hesitates when asked questions about his views on re-opening the abortion debate, stripping gays of their rights, and even the gun lobby behind him. Brad Trost of Saskatchewan delivered a lot of delegate votes to get Scheer elected Conservative leader and he expects changing abortion rights, reducing gay rights, and increasing gun rights to be on the agenda if Scheer becomes PM.

Against this pathetic lot, Justin looks like he could return as PM, even with the blackface thing and the hatred in the west for his father.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

bob vernon wrote: Against this pathetic lot, Justin looks like he could return as PM, even with the blackface thing and the hatred in the west for his father.

It should have been a no-brainer. Andy is working hard to even it out.
(Elizabeth and Jagmeet are really both non-starters)
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

bob vernon wrote:
The Conservatives have a leader who dodges and hesitates when asked questions about his views on re-opening the abortion debate,

Not true.

stripping gays of their rights, [/quote[

Horse *bleep*.

and even the gun lobby behind him.

OH NO!

Against this pathetic lot, Justin looks like he could return as PM, even with the blackface thing

The pathetic lot includes Justin.

and the hatred in the west for his father.

Yes, because Justin has done SO MUCH to engender any support in the West. Give your head a shake.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Federal Election 2019”