Predictions

Evan
Board Meister
Posts: 563
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Re: Predictions

Post by Evan »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Evan wrote:Let's just be real for a second... This popular vote narrative is nonsense.


It's nonsense only because the Conservatives had the highest of all other parties. If it was the Liberals, the Libs would be crowing about it.

Over 11 million people voted for parties other then the Conservatives. So yes, the Cons won the most votes for one individual party. But the majority of those votes came from landslides in specific regions.


So what? Why does that matter? Do those regions not have the same rights and freedoms as regions that voted for the Liberals?

The majority of Canadians voted for parties that want a cost on Carbon.


Why would people want a "cost on carbon"? What is that? Why do people hate "carbon" for some reason?

The majority of Canadians voted for parties that have a much stronger plan for Climate Change.


When you say "climate change" - are you referring to the unproven hypothesis that man is somehow affecting the climate? Or something else? Why did you capitalize this phrase?

The majority of Canadians voted for parties that have far more progressive social ideas.


What are "progressive" social ideas? Why would they be considered "progressive" exactly? Who came up with this phrase, and why would be it positive for Canada? Can you enlighten us?


Ive been a member of too many political forums to take the bait of your pop quiz. Everything I said is perfectly clear. Feel free to share how you disagree, but I in no way will participate in the pop quizzes so many members of the right like to give out.

But I’ll share this link, as I think he finally gets it. But do you?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... r-federal/
To be inspired.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60117
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Predictions

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Evan wrote:Everything I said is perfectly clear.


No, it was actually incredibly confusing. Assuming that you meant the unproven scientific hypothesis of man-made climate change - I am very curious - what do people think Canada can do about this? Given how we already are a massive carbon sink and so already do so much to combat the actual giant emitters out there like China and India. What is a tax going to do on this "carbon" you hate so much, other than hurt poor people? Is it just an urge to "do something", to fire up your warm tummy and feel "good" about things? Because on paper, none of this man-made climate change "fighting" that Lizzie and crew want to do makes any difference, and in fact, hurts a lot of people.

I'd also like to know what you meant by "progressive" - what does this mean, and are things that you feel are "progressive" really positive, or do they hurt people and don't deserve this positive-sounding name?
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
Jlabute
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3908
Joined: Jan 18th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Re: Predictions

Post by Jlabute »

Despite some parties in favor of a climate tax, many people in those parties would still prefer the carbon tax to be killed. The tax doesn't do anything. Emissions in BC were dropping per capita long before a tax was introduced in 2008. Governments are always looking for more revenue, and are using a tax that hurts the poor the most. Get rid of the tax and let Canadians invest in their own efficient living. Where do the billions go anyways? How will government live without a carbon tax once we are net-zero? You better believe it will never die, and it will only continue to increase.


https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/poll-significant-number-of-ndp-green-partisans-want-the-carbon-tax-killed-too
Huxley - "For him, skepticism is the highest of duties; blind faith the one unpardonable sin."
User avatar
SunnyWays
Fledgling
Posts: 113
Joined: Oct 13th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Re: Predictions

Post by SunnyWays »

Jlabute wrote:Despite some parties in favor of a climate tax, many people in those parties would still prefer the carbon tax to be killed. The tax doesn't do anything. Emissions in BC were dropping per capita long before a tax was introduced in 2008. Governments are always looking for more revenue, and are using a tax that hurts the poor the most. Get rid of the tax and let Canadians invest in their own efficient living. Where do the billions go anyways? How will government live without a carbon tax once we are net-zero? You better believe it will never die, and it will only continue to increase.


https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/poll-significant-number-of-ndp-green-partisans-want-the-carbon-tax-killed-too


Once government gets their hands on new tax revenue they find it extremely difficult (impossible really) to let it go. Here is a bit of the history of income tax in Canada...note the use of the word temporary.

‘Income tax was not imposed federally until 1917 when it was imposed as a temporary measure to help finance WWI. The legislation, which was embodied in the Income War Tax Act, was relatively simple document of some ten pages in length. The provisions were effective September 20, 1917 and implemented a 4% on all income of single men over $2,000. For others, the personal exemption was $3,000. For those Canadians with annual incomes of more than $6,000, the tax rate ranged from 2 to 25 per cent. Because of what were in fact high exemptions for the time, only about 2-8% of individuals had to file tax returns during this initial tax period.’
Evan
Board Meister
Posts: 563
Joined: Aug 7th, 2006, 10:06 pm

Re: Predictions

Post by Evan »

Hey if the majority wants to remove certain taxes... have at it... But I can assume many services will suffer and we as Canadians will suffer worse off financially and physically.
To be inspired.
Ranger66
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2337
Joined: Jul 5th, 2007, 11:42 am

Re: Predictions

Post by Ranger66 »

" Trudeau did not deserve another majority."

I agree.
To cool to live, to smart to die or no good deed should go unpunished
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60117
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Predictions

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Evan wrote:Hey if the majority wants to remove certain taxes... have at it... But I can assume many services will suffer and we as Canadians will suffer worse off financially and physically.


it's not just about removing taxes, especially insanely stupid ones like carbon taxes, it's about watching spending and matching inflows to outflows. Not just spending like drunken sailors because it gives everyone warm tummies. That's the road to ruin.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
Posts: 7638
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Predictions

Post by Omnitheo »

Thankfully Canada chose to remain with the liberals rather than going back to the party with a higher "drunken sailor" spending/gdp.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
1791
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2289
Joined: Jul 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Re: Predictions

Post by 1791 »

:topic: predictions.
User avatar
crookedmember
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2448
Joined: Jan 8th, 2011, 9:43 am

Re: Predictions

Post by crookedmember »

I guess if anyone had predicted two days after the election Scheer would still be bad-tempered and crying his eyes out while blaming Justin Trudeau, we'd have a winner.

It's time for you to shut up and put your big boy pants on, Andy.


Image
Conservatives are dumb-dumbs.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7519
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Predictions

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I predict that Scheer supporters will continue to cry in their beer, and complain until the next election rolls around.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
JagXKR
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2925
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am

Re: Predictions

Post by JagXKR »

Omnitheo wrote:Thankfully Canada chose to remain with the liberals rather than going back to the party with a higher "drunken sailor" spending/gdp.


A minority government result is at odds with your statement.
Also "Canada" is too general of a term considering the real seat distribution results.
But I predict that this government will not last 4 years. So it's not really that bad because JT will not be able to spend the children into horrible debt. The youth of today may just be able to inherit a country not saddled with an unmanageable debt. Maybe.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60117
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Predictions

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urban Cowboy wrote:I predict that Scheer supporters will continue to cry in their beer, and complain until the next election rolls around.


And I predict that Trudeau supporters will continue to cry in their beer, and complain until the next election rolls around.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60117
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Predictions

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Omnitheo wrote:Thankfully Canada chose to remain with the liberals rather than going back to the party with a higher "drunken sailor" spending/gdp.


Yes, that is some solace. At least the NDP didn't win. The Liberals are now beholden and subservient to the NDP, which is extremely scary.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60117
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Predictions

Post by The Green Barbarian »

crookedmember wrote:I guess if anyone had predicted two days after the election Scheer would still be bad-tempered and crying his eyes out while blaming Justin Trudeau, we'd have a winner.


But he's not crying his eyes out, he's just stating the obvious. I am glad that Althia Raj is at least not hiding her Liberal support. It was no accident that she was spotted, out with Tides Foundation slimeball Gerry Butts a few days before the debate.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”