Divided country

User avatar
Omnitheo
Guru
Posts: 7638
Joined: Jul 19th, 2011, 10:10 am

Re: Divided country

Post by Omnitheo »

Jonrox wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:At this point, the federal government doesn't have any incentive to do what's best for Albertans, Saskatoon, Rural BC, Kelowna etc. They will focus on what is best for Canada as a whole.

Omnitheo, I agree with a whole lot of the things you say but I strongly, strongly disagree with this statement. This statement is exactly what's wrong with politics these days.

Although Conservative voters didn't vote for PM Trudeau he is still their PM, is still their leader, and is responsible for their well-being. He's not just the leader and PM for Liberal voters. He has a responsibility to look out for the best interests of all Canadians. His incentive to do what's best for Albertans, Saskatoon, Kelowna etc... is that he's the Prime Minister and is responsible and accountable to all of us. It comes with the job.

At the same time, I believe all Canadians who voted for parties other than the Liberals also need to support PM Trudeau as the leader of the country. However, support does not mean "follow blindly" and comes in different forms. Support includes constructive criticism and pushing him to be a better leader.

To say he doesn't have an incentive to do what's best for all Canadians is the sort of divisive politics and rhetoric that has no place in our country. We aren't the United States.


Oh don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying how I feel. I agree completely that the PM needs to stand for all Canadians. Unfortunately the political reality tends to be quite different, and for examples we need only look to the south. Or for past examples of this mentality.

I saw the sign in Regina. "Send Trudeau a message". And they did. Unfortunately the message looks like "it doesn’t matter what you do for us, we won’t support you or anyone who stands by you". The entire conservative campaign was less about what is best for the country, and was more about "send Trudeau a message’. The message seems loud and clear. Alberta is gonna Alberta,(or priaries) and it doesn’t matter what you do.

This is again why I’d drastically prefer proportional representation, we would end up with MP’s from all parties from all parts of the countries. Priorities could be less about pandering to swing ridings and focusing on small regional battles, and rather what is best for everyone, regardless of where in the country you are.

In the end, I’m happy with the results, I didn’t Liberals to have a minority, I want them to have to work with other parties, be it conservative or NDP. I just would have preferred to see a bit more variety in the results, and representation in largest party be from all parts of the country.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
User avatar
crookedmember
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2450
Joined: Jan 8th, 2011, 9:43 am

Re: Divided country

Post by crookedmember »

These so-called conservatives were able to do well in the prairies due to a well-funded (and likely American-funded) social media campaign by the likes of Canada Proud and the Manning Centre that was able to convince throngs of unsophisticated, ill-educated and elderly voters to hate Justin Trudeau.

It didn't work in Ontario this time because they have Doug Ford and it's a lot harder to fool people twice.
Conservatives are dumb-dumbs.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60300
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Divided country

Post by The Green Barbarian »

crookedmember wrote:These so-called conservatives were able to do well in the prairies due to a well-funded (and likely American-funded) social media campaign by the likes of Canada Proud and the Manning Centre that was able to convince throngs of unsophisticated, ill-educated and elderly voters to hate Justin Trudeau.


Yes, it was because of social media that people in the West are tired of being ignored by their government. Good grief, how ridiculous is that.

It didn't work in Ontario this time because they have Doug Ford and it's a lot harder to fool people twice.


And yet Ontario was fooled twice. They are responsible yet again for inflicting JT on the rest of Canada. Thank you foolish Ontario.
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.
User avatar
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33714
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Divided country

Post by Glacier »

crookedmember wrote:These so-called conservatives were able to do well in the prairies due to a well-funded (and likely American-funded) social media campaign by the likes of Canada Proud and the Manning Centre that was able to convince throngs of unsophisticated, ill-educated and elderly voters to hate Justin Trudeau.

It didn't work in Ontario this time because they have Doug Ford and it's a lot harder to fool people twice.

According to Bob Rae, that was a horrible strategic blunder by the Cons to lock Ford in the basement for the entire campaign. Ford has an energized base and many stayed home yesterday.
The worst part about a 7 day lockdown is the first 4 months.
User avatar
Ka-El
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12745
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Divided country

Post by Ka-El »

Glacier wrote: According to Bob Rae, that was a horrible strategic blunder by the Cons to lock Ford in the basement for the entire campaign.

Just one of many. Their candidate and his platform also sucked.
Stop hate: don't feed the alt-right troll
User avatar
SunnyWays
Fledgling
Posts: 113
Joined: Oct 13th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Re: Divided country

Post by SunnyWays »

crookedmember wrote:These so-called conservatives were able to do well in the prairies due to a well-funded (and likely American-funded) social media campaign by the likes of Canada Proud and the Manning Centre that was able to convince throngs of unsophisticated, ill-educated and elderly voters to hate Justin Trudeau.

It didn't work in Ontario this time because they have Doug Ford and it's a lot harder to fool people twice.


Your characterization of a Conservative voter in Canada is not only twisted but falls on the wrong side of the racist fence and if your comment is evidence of who a non-conservative voter is, well that is concerning. I am offended and need to go to my safe space now.
User avatar
crookedmember
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2450
Joined: Jan 8th, 2011, 9:43 am

Re: Divided country

Post by crookedmember »

Some of the few Conservative adults weigh in.

Premier Brian Pallister on separation: "I have no time for that."

https://twitter.com/CTVNews/status/1186 ... 23874?s=20


Premier Blaine Higgs: "Higgs may create his own carbon tax in wake of federal Liberal win."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brun ... -1.5330765
Conservatives are dumb-dumbs.
Catri
Übergod
Posts: 1897
Joined: Jul 13th, 2012, 7:18 am

Re: Divided country

Post by Catri »

I think the idea that we're more divided than ever is a bit of hyperbole. When I was a kid in the late 1970s, the whole west was alienated (as opposed to Alberta/Saskatchewan and die hard Interior BC Tories today) and Quebec was afire with seperatist sentiment. Truly most of us are still, and always will be, proud to be Canadians. The grown ups among us aren't throwing tantrums and realise that any of the mainstream parties are competent to govern the country we love, even when they're not our chosen team.
User avatar
crookedmember
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2450
Joined: Jan 8th, 2011, 9:43 am

Re: Divided country

Post by crookedmember »

Alberta's and Saskatchewan's problem is the worldwide oil glut and the low prices the glut has spawned. That's not Trudeau's fault, but the devious and dishonest so-called conservatives have used this to create unrest and hate in the West.

So it's fake division created by politicians like Harper and Scheer who know the only way to win is to divide us.

Sure it's disgusting, but that's just the type of lowlife Conservatives are these days. They're all Trumpkins now.
Conservatives are dumb-dumbs.
User avatar
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2318
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Re: Divided country

Post by vegas1500 »

2x4eyes wrote:All this 'infighting' between the provinces is nothing short of ridiculous...It's worse than being in a schoolyard because these people are supposed to be 'adults' in a democratic society.

I am so tired of hearing all this talk, I'm beginning to think if provinces want to separate from Canada, let them...Don't give them any federal money or assistance for anything and let them have to shell out their own money for whatever it is they want/need...Then we can watch them squirm when they can't afford to keep their province afloat...


Best do some research on how much money Alberta or any other province contributes to be part of Canada. With what AB pays, we would be just fine.....in fact much better off.
User avatar
crookedmember
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2450
Joined: Jan 8th, 2011, 9:43 am

Re: Divided country

Post by crookedmember »

vegas1500 wrote:
Best do some research on how much money Alberta or any other province contributes to be part of Canada. With what AB pays, we would be just fine.....in fact much better off.


Alberta contributes zip to be part of Canada.

The only contribution residents of Alberta--like residents of all other provinces--make is the Federal income tax.

Where Alberta's oil wealth went is a bit of a mystery. But much of the industry is US-owned and Kenney did just give them a $4.5 billion tax cut, so that's a good place to start.

Residents paying their income taxes didn't hobble Alberta. 44 years of wasteful conservative rule did.
Conservatives are dumb-dumbs.
User avatar
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2318
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Re: Divided country

Post by vegas1500 »

crookedmember wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:
Best do some research on how much money Alberta or any other province contributes to be part of Canada. With what AB pays, we would be just fine.....in fact much better off.


Alberta contributes zip to be part of Canada.

The only contribution residents of Alberta--like residents of all other provinces--make is the Federal income tax.

Where Alberta's oil wealth went is a bit of a mystery. But much of the industry is US-owned and Kenney did just give them a $4.5 billion tax cut, so that's a good place to start.

Residents paying their income taxes didn't hobble Alberta. 44 years of wasteful conservative rule did.


Right, still technically paying to be in Canada. The return on our taxes is approx 22 billion to the negative (2018). If that money stayed in house, it would fund many programs.
User avatar
Drip_Torch
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4032
Joined: Aug 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

Re: Divided country

Post by Drip_Torch »

vegas1500 wrote:The return on our taxes is approx 22 billion to the negative (2018). If that money stayed in house, it would fund many programs.


I've got the same problem as Alberta. If my taxes stayed in house I could have bought a brand new F-350.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
User avatar
SunnyWays
Fledgling
Posts: 113
Joined: Oct 13th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Re: Divided country

Post by SunnyWays »

crookedmember wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:
Best do some research on how much money Alberta or any other province contributes to be part of Canada. With what AB pays, we would be just fine.....in fact much better off.


Alberta contributes zip to be part of Canada.

The only contribution residents of Alberta--like residents of all other provinces--make is the Federal income tax.

Where Alberta's oil wealth went is a bit of a mystery. But much of the industry is US-owned and Kenney did just give them a $4.5 billion tax cut, so that's a good place to start.

Residents paying their income taxes didn't hobble Alberta. 44 years of wasteful conservative rule did.


Hoping these charts aren’t too sophisticated or technical to understand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 60300
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Divided country

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Drip_Torch wrote:
I've got the same problem as Alberta. If my taxes stayed in house I could have bought a brand new F-350.


Imagine how much you would have if environmentalist nutjobs allowed you to sell your product for $30 per unit more than you get now, by simply building a pipeline to the ocean! Imagine that! Imagine a world where Canada isn't controlled by brainless communist idiots! Can you?
LET'S GO BRANDON!

Justin Trudeau is a blight on our once great country.

Return to “Federal Election 2019”