Remains of 215 youth found

GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 7:16 pm Both my parents cultures are alive and well, no one came along and tried to beat it out them or grandparents or my great grandparents etc... etc.
DoDo1975 wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 7:52 pm I suspect that is not true.
You can suspect whatever you want, I know what’s true about my Family history (I’ve dug back so far to early 1800s)
“I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win a popularity contest.”
DoDo1975
Board Meister

Post by DoDo1975 »

GordonH wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:00 pm

You can suspect whatever you want, I know what’s true about my Family history (I’ve dug back so far to early 1800s)
I should have been more clear. Its wasn't suspect. Should have said its just plain false.

There are no peoples that have not been subjected to prejudice or persecution somewhere and sometime throughout history.

If you want to take a little 200 year snapshot in time in a constrained area, you have missed the whole point.

What cultures are we talking about.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:04 pm I should have been more clear. Its wasn't suspect. Should have said its just plain false.

There are no peoples that have not been subjected to prejudice or persecution somewhere and sometime throughout history.

If you want to take a little 200 year snapshot in time in a constrained area, you have missed the whole point.

So which other culture in Canada had their children ripped from their parents homes, never allowed to see each other. I will wait for your answer.
“I don't care whether people like me or dislike me. I'm not on earth to win a popularity contest.”
DoDo1975
Board Meister

Post by DoDo1975 »

GordonH wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:21 pm
Doukabours. Likely some others. I am not arguing that what happened in the past to FN with residential schools wasn't wrong. I don't think anyone is actually. But why are we constraining this to Canada and recent history.

You didn't enlighten me about these magical cultures that have sustained themselves throughout history without persecution and prejudice against them.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:36 pm Doukabours. Likely some others. I am not arguing that what happened in the past to FN with residential schools wasn't wrong. I don't think anyone is actually. But why are we constraining this to Canada and recent history.

You didn't enlighten me about these magical cultures that have sustained themselves throughout history without persecution and prejudice against them.
This thread is about Residential Schools & the children who were forced to attend. This all happened in Canada.

As for my Family like many idiots make comments, those comments are nothing like having ones culture ripped away.

Yes, Canada also placed Italians, Japanese and Ukrainians etc into camps out of stupid unfounded fears. At least the entire Families were together.
DoDo1975
Board Meister

Post by DoDo1975 »

GordonH wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:52 pm

This thread is about Residential Schools & the children who were forced to attend. This all happened in Canada.

As for my Family like many idiots make comments, those comments are nothing like having ones culture ripped away.

Yes, Canada also placed Italians, Japanese and Ukrainians etc into camps out of stupid unfounded fears. At least the entire Families were together.
I am not sure I understand what you are saying above.

You had said that the role of residential schools was to eliminate the FN culture and replace it. I merely attempted to point out that this has been the goal of most all civilizations throughout history. Some have tried to do it by force, some by influence.

The narrative that white colonialist settlers are some special breed of evil never before seen in the history of mankind is ignoring the history of the world and the flaws of mankind.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Deleted
sherashera
Fledgling

Post by sherashera »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:04 pm I should have been more clear. Its wasn't suspect. Should have said its just plain false.

So which other culture in Canada had their children ripped from their parents homes, never allowed to see each other. I will wait for your answer.
I highly doubt these children were ripped from their parents homes and never allowed to see eachother again. Sorry but you seem to be making outlandish claims. Not buying what you are selling. How much are wanting to get out of this settlment deal?
My word, doesn't the year fly by? One minute its Come All Yea Faithful, the next your flat on your back in the sand. Its hard to tell which one enjoys the most.
Silverstarqueen
Buddha of the Board

Post by Silverstarqueen »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:36 pm
Doukabours. Likely some others. I am not arguing that what happened in the past to FN with residential schools wasn't wrong. I don't think anyone is actually. But why are we constraining this to Canada and recent history.
because that's the topic of this thread. Not about whether other cultures ever were oppressed elsewhere in the history of the world .
Silverstarqueen
Buddha of the Board

Post by Silverstarqueen »

sherashera wrote: Jun 10th, 2021, 6:17 am
GordonH wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:21 pm So which other culture in Canada had their children ripped from their parents homes, never allowed to see each other. I will wait for your answer.
I highly doubt these children were ripped from their parents homes and never allowed to see eachother again. Sorry but you seem to be making outlandish claims. Not buying what you are selling. How much are wanting to get out of this settlment deal?
The express purpose of the residential schools was to beat the native culture out of the Natives. The methods were really no different that the mind-control brainwashing techniques used with capitive prisoners of war. The net effect of that was that most felt conflicted and avoided contact with their culture after that. Likely the dayschool kids were less affected, but many endured the same horrific abuse while attending the schools. It wasn't optional, parents had to send their kids into an abusive situation, which I would think was damaging for them as well.
I don't know what price could be put on it if someone took my children by force and abused them physically, emotionally, sexually, and turned them against me. the settlement is to help people recover from the abuse and attempt to mend their lives, and perhaps for some, to reconnect with their culture.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I simply don't understand why people think Residential Schools were to education the children. Their agenda was clear from the onset.

And for those who keep saying it is just a money grab
Yea, kinda like we took their Lands ..
can see why the Sentinelese make sure any people planning to visit are quickly discouraged from doing so.
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 7:52 pm
GordonH wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 7:16 pm Both my parents cultures are alive and well, no one came along and tried to beat it out them or grandparents or my great grandparents etc... etc.
I suspect that is not true.
Gordon is lucky. My ancestors had "it beat it out of them." My family was persecuted in Europe, but they weren't even Jewish. Jews have had it as bad as anyone.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 8:21 pm So which other culture in Canada had their children ripped from their parents homes, never allowed to see each other. I will wait for your answer.
sherashera wrote: Jun 10th, 2021, 6:17 am I highly doubt these children were ripped from their parents homes and never allowed to see eachother again. Sorry but you seem to be making outlandish claims. Not buying what you are selling. How much are wanting to get out of this settlment deal?
Someone isn’t actually paying attention to those who are survivors of the Residential School system.
Go do some research, okay.

btw I am not FN, if I want a big payout... I will have to win a lottery, I hear it’s currently at 70 million.
Catsumi

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:

Remains of 215 youth found
“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” - Mark Twain

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Edward Abbey
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Hurtlander wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 3:58 pm Why is it we only here the horror stories...
I think that you answered your own question.
"I was the guy who brought in the Indian Act for Canada. I was awful to Canadian Indigenous. But I was a Liberal, so no one throws paint on my statue. Ha ha John A.! Being Liberal means no one cares how racist you were!" - Alexander McKenzie

Return to “Kamloops”