Kamloops Tk'emlups to construct healing centre

DarbyD
Übergod

Kamloops Tk'emlups to construct healing centre

Post by DarbyD »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... ing-centre

Tk'emlups gets $12.5M from Ottawa to construct healing centre

Kukpi7 Rosanne Casimir said it was “truly a monumental day” for Tk'emlups members and survivors of the Kamloops Indian Residential School.

“This announcement of a healing house will provide a culturally safe and relevant support along with the capacity to contribute to the current and future well being of our people who've been impacted,” she said.

Casimir said the funds will flow through the First Nations Health Authority, who will work together with TteS to implement the project.

“This is supporting our survivors. This is supporting our intergenerational survivors, these resources are going to be there to create that forward thinking, holistic approach of a healthier, future generation,” she said.

Casimir was joined by Patty Hadju, minister of Indigenous Services, Colleen Erickson, First Nations Health Authority board chair, former Tk'emlups Kukpi7 Fred Seymour and former councillor Jeanette Jules to make the announcement.

Casimir said planning for a healing centre has involved collaboration and dialogue which has considered the unique healing needs of residential school survivors.

She said the space will be designed to be welcoming, safe and non-colonial, honouring traditional culture and history, with an architecture firm working with the band to develop a design incorporating Secwepemc values.
Personally I welcome this, it will go a long way to helping multi generational families who are survivors of residential schools and who have lived with those memories for years. In some cases the survivors have passed on the dysfunction and abuse they learned at these schools. Hopefully this truly will be a safe place of healing.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Re: Kamloops Tk'emlups to construct healing centre

Post by northglenmore2012 »

While I agree that the addition of a healing centre for the Kamloops Band in needed because of the past history. I think credit should be given where credit is due. Actually, the hard working taxpayers are the ones who are financing and building this centre. At least the Band could publicly recognize this and thank us. Reconciliation should/is a 2 way street. No???
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

I have to agree. May as well get used to saying that. To disagree in the future will probably mean 10 years in the colonial gulag.
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

northglenmore2012 wrote: Mar 29th, 2023, 6:35 pmAt least the Band could publicly recognize this and thank us. Reconciliation should/is a 2 way street. No???
What exactly do you or taxpayers need to reconcile with? Taxes are imposed by the government.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

Brass Monkey wrote: Apr 3rd, 2023, 2:19 pm What exactly do you or taxpayers need to reconcile with? Taxes are imposed by the government.
That everyone has problems and it's getting expensive just to live.

I'm sure the people who struggle to afford to food, heat and shelter, the ones who barely afford life appreciate a healing place is being constructed with their tax dollars that they won't have access to.

It's not fair what happened to the First Nations. It's also not fair to hold generations who had nothing to to with the injustices responsible for healing the injustices with their pocket book. How much more funding is required before everything is reconciled? I suspect it's indefinite...

Plenty of kids grown up in terrible conditions and have terrible things happen to them, yet their isn't much funding for their issues. Just look at the growing homeless problem...
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

countmeout wrote: Apr 3rd, 2023, 8:00 pm
Brass Monkey wrote: Apr 3rd, 2023, 2:19 pm What exactly do you or taxpayers need to reconcile with? Taxes are imposed by the government.

I'm sure the people who struggle to afford to food, heat and shelter, the ones who barely afford life appreciate a healing place is being constructed with their tax dollars that they won't have access to.

It's not fair what happened to the First Nations. It's also not fair to hold generations who had nothing to to with the injustices responsible for healing the injustices with their pocket book. How much more funding is required before everything is reconciled? I suspect it's indefinite...

Plenty of kids grown up in terrible conditions and have terrible things happen to them, yet their isn't much funding for their issues. Just look at the growing homeless problem...
:up: :up: :up:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Interesting how the healing centre gets coin and this happens (Thompson Region Family Obstetrics (TRFO) )
Like a ping pong game in Kamloops Health Authority...!!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... octor-says
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

northglenmore2012 wrote: Mar 29th, 2023, 6:35 pm While I agree that the addition of a healing centre for the Kamloops Band in needed because of the past history. I think credit should be given where credit is due. Actually, the hard working taxpayers are the ones who are financing and building this centre. At least the Band could publicly recognize this and thank us. Reconciliation should/is a 2 way street. No???
indeed :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bidwell2 wrote: Apr 1st, 2023, 10:36 am I have to agree. May as well get used to saying that. To disagree in the future will probably mean 10 years in the colonial gulag.
sad but true
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

govt is not interested in the real truth. :up:
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

Along with reconciliation there should be forgiveness. That goes along way in the healing process. We are doing our part maybe the Indians should step up and do theirs. We all have to live together, you know.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

northglenmore2012 wrote: Apr 14th, 2023, 6:55 am Along with reconciliation there should be forgiveness. That goes along way in the healing process. We are doing our part maybe the Indians should step up and do theirs. We all have to live together, you know.
you would think so
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

100% correct.

Return to “Kamloops”