Will public approve Kamloops PAC at $120M after rejecting at $49M??

WideLens

Will public approve Kamloops PAC at $120M after rejecting at $49M??

Post by WideLens »

The Kamloops city council approved borrowing $7 million towards the proposed Performing Arts Centre. However, after the public voted against it when it was budgeted at $49M in 2015, why does council think the taxpayers will approve of it at $120M?
As per this Rothenburger article https://cfjctoday.com/2024/02/10/rothen ... tough-gig/ , when the Mayor questioned some of the details he was met with inflammatory remarks from some councillors. I am concerned that while the council is willing to spend $7m of taxpayers dollars, they are unable to provide the most basic info on what it will be spent on. Instead, they resort to unprofessional personal attacks.
With the city debt currently around $60M I think this may not be the right time to be taking such a large debt, especially with interest rates at 20 years highs.
Thoughts?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Will public approve Kamloops PAC at $120M after rejecting at $49M??

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

This present council, like do many others is quite happy to spend other people's money and increase the debt.
They don't give two hoots about other people's money
And interest rates are currently...... :200:

The PAC. How about those wanting it giving taxpayers a business plan on this centre.
What's the cash flow going to be?
What will the net annual loss be, money taxpayers need to come up with annually?
There's no way this proposed PAC can break even, so what will it cost us?

This same council is also eager to blow $10 MILLION on a foot bridge for TRU students, 100 to 200 meters from a crosswalk.
What kind of message is this for semi-educated students. "oh, we'll safe you walking a hundred metres with our taxpayer supplied $10 MILLION bridge."

And they want to put in an outdoor skating rink in the park.

And possibly a new curling rink.

And possibly another aquatics centre.

And on and on it goes. Was this council educated at the same school as the federal Liberal party?

How about a referendum on the PAC?

Anyone living in Kamloops should budget for some HUGE tax increase over the next 15 to 20 years.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Every year that passes the cost of replacement goes upwards… never downwards.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

One more thing. There's plenty of big spenders living up in Sun Rivers who want it but fortunately they can't vote on it. (And they won't contribute a cent to it.)
You live in reserve land. [icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by Babba_not_Gump on Feb 23rd, 2024, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Curious Al

Post by Curious Al »

Thanks for the post @widelens. I agree, given the PAC didn’t pass the first time, it is concerning that it is continuing to be pushed forward on the taxpayer’s dime. If private interests want to push these types of vanity projects when there is not the community appetite, then they should be encouraged to fund and OPERATE it themselves. It is not just getting these amenities built, it is the ongoing operating costs that will make the capital costs look like a pittance. Given the multitude of unknown impacts of the provincial changes to housing density and related infrastructure costs to support the added density - roads, sewer, water, electric, drainage, sidewalks, schools, etc., we could be in for a rocky ride the next several years just trying to pay for taxes and maintaining the infrastructure we have. I would rather see our Council rally together to lobby the provincial government to take back responsibility on treating, rehabilitating, and housing those needing intensive mental health services that would have benefitted from facilities like Riverview and Tranquille. How can we grow a vibrant community that is socially and economically healthy when we have people using business areas as toilets? We definitely have bigger issues to address than a PAC. Bard on the Beach is super successful in a tent …!

Return to “Kamloops”