A Disgusting Example of Pigs at the Trough.

bb49
Guru

A Disgusting Example of Pigs at the Trough.

Post by bb49 »

For those that aren't aware, the CAO of the Thompson-Nicola Regional District Sukh Gill, left rather suddenly a year ago.
Nobody really knows if he was fired (not likely as he received a nice good-bye package), or he retired or....?

Since then, a Kamloops newspaper has dug deep into this guys transgressions with his expense account.
Btw, his good-bye package package was +$500,000.

Now his expenses are public and they are disgraceful to say the least. Criminal? Probably not, but who ever was overseeing his spending should be shown the door.

An example of his high living out of the taxpayer's trough:
Gill’s TNRD credit card expenses, from 2015 to 2020, including receipts that show $174,000 in that time spent at coffee shops and restaurants using public money — on average, once every other day for five years. A total of $165,000 was expensed at restaurants on more than 522 occasions,

Sept. 13, 2018, nearly $8,000 was spent at the Bearfoot Bistro in Whistler

a $125 liquor store purchase in Revelstoke

$24,000 was spent on Gill’s TNRD credit card over five years at Nandi’s Flavours of India and Goldie’s Flavours of India

$22,000 was spent at the high-end Terra Restaurant

And on and on and on it goes.
For a complete breakdown of what he ate at the trough, it's all here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

There's a summary here,
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/K ... d-spending
And a more complete breakdown here,
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/s ... 1.24283227

What really ticks me off is that he got away with it, and he got away with $500,000 for being an inconsiderate :cuss: when it comes to taxpayers.

And where else is this complete disregard for taxpayer happening? This is just a Regional District, then we have municipal, provincial and federal governments.

Let's all have a :130: to Sukh Gill and the life he lived, but it has to be water. I'm taxed out.
I_am_a_Canadian
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: A Disgusting Example of Pigs at the Trough.

Post by common_sense_guy »

bb49 wrote:For those that aren't aware, the CAO of the Thompson-Nicola Regional District Sukh Gill, left rather suddenly a year ago.
Nobody really knows if he was fired (not likely as he received a nice good-bye package), or he retired or....?

Since then, a Kamloops newspaper has dug deep into this guys transgressions with his expense account.
Btw, his good-bye package package was +$500,000.

Now his expenses are public and they are disgraceful to say the least. Criminal? Probably not, but who ever was overseeing his spending should be shown the door.

An example of his high living out of the taxpayer's trough:
Gill’s TNRD credit card expenses, from 2015 to 2020, including receipts that show $174,000 in that time spent at coffee shops and restaurants using public money — on average, once every other day for five years. A total of $165,000 was expensed at restaurants on more than 522 occasions,

Sept. 13, 2018, nearly $8,000 was spent at the Bearfoot Bistro in Whistler

a $125 liquor store purchase in Revelstoke

$24,000 was spent on Gill’s TNRD credit card over five years at Nandi’s Flavours of India and Goldie’s Flavours of India

$22,000 was spent at the high-end Terra Restaurant

And on and on and on it goes.
For a complete breakdown of what he ate at the trough, it's all here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

There's a summary here,
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/K ... d-spending
And a more complete breakdown here,
https://www.kamloopsthisweek.com/news/s ... 1.24283227

What really ticks me off is that he got away with it, and he got away with $500,000 for being an inconsiderate :cuss: when it comes to taxpayers.

And where else is this complete disregard for taxpayer happening? This is just a Regional District, then we have municipal, provincial and federal governments.

Let's all have a :130: to Sukh Gill and the life he lived, but it has to be water. I'm taxed out.
I read what you said and I don't understand why you are blaming him. According to the article it was all within policy. If you have a bone to pick why don't you pick it with the people who made the policy what it is to allow him to do what he did. Doesn't seem like he did anything illegal. If your boss gave you a credit card and said here you go this is part of your job do what you want. Are you saying you wouldn't spend frivolously if it was up to you and you weren't doing anything wrong by doing so? I got a feeling you would buy whatever you wanted if it was within the rules. That's What I Call hypocritical because I don't think a single person would not buy things that they want if it's within policy.
I think your time would be better spent going after the people that made the policy. Sounds like he just did what most anybody would do in that same situation
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
bb49
Guru

Re: A Disgusting Example of Pigs at the Trough.

Post by bb49 »

common_sense_guy wrote: I read what you said and I don't understand why you are blaming him. According to the article it was all within policy. If you have a bone to pick why don't you pick it with the people who made the policy what it is to allow him to do what he did. Doesn't seem like he did anything illegal.

What you are doing is deflecting the blame.
Unfortunately too many were more than happy to join this scum at the trough. And yes, they are no better than him.
This guy's immoral but legal actions were no different than stealing from taxpayers. He should have known better. Why he didn't only he knows. Now I hope his working career is over.
If your boss gave you a credit card and said here you go this is part of your job do what you want. Are you saying you wouldn't spend frivolously if it was up to you and you weren't doing anything wrong by doing so? I got a feeling you would buy whatever you wanted if it was within the rules. That's What I Call hypocritical because I don't think a single person would not buy things that they want if it's within policy.
I absolutely would not abuse any policy where I worked. Why? Common sense!
And I was given expense accounts and company trucks pretty well everywhere I worked, but no boss ever said
"here you go this is part of your job do what you want."

By reading your comments am I to assume you would spend frivolously?
I can guarantee that pretty well any work place would have you in the boss's office within minutes of your first flagrant abuse of this privilege.
Second time it happened, Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

You will see very little of this type of abuse in business, maybe with the occasional higher-up, but unfortunately it is all too common in the political world, and there too is is almost always with the higher-ups.

As for the board members at the TNRD, if they have any morals, they will forgo their salaries for one year.
The last numbers I could come up with for remuneration for board members is 2019, and they were paid $607,000.
That would go along ways to repaying the public and instilling trust in elected officials. There is no trust there now.
But too many of the board members have been silent and don't have the balls to take this action.

https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/K ... s-released
I_am_a_Canadian

Return to “Kamloops”