Just another reason for a pipeline

bb49
Guru

Just another reason for a pipeline

Post by bb49 »

I saw traffic tied up this afternoon on the TCH, east side of Kamloops.
This was why.
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/K ... ain#329544

Now if that had been a semi and had hit that train, which had dozens of cars of various petrochemical products, that would have been interesting. :200:

I happened to see that train earlier, it was long, at least 2.5 km long and more than half the cars were tankers, all heading for the coast, along the Thompson and Fraser rivers.

I see these trains on the CPR line regularly. The longest I've been able to measure was 3 km long. Many have placards on the side, 1202 diesel, 1203 gasoline plus others.

Those opposed to the pipelines should take a drive into the interior, checking out the trains on the CPR and CNR lines.

One incident on a line and things will be ugly.

Does anyone think rail transport of oil is better than pipeline?
I_am_a_Canadian
typhoon44
Übergod

Re: Just another reason for a pipeline

Post by typhoon44 »

bb49 wrote:I saw traffic tied up this afternoon on the TCH, east side of Kamloops.
This was why.
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/K ... ain#329544

Now if that had been a semi and had hit that train, which had dozens of cars of various petrochemical products, that would have been interesting. :200:

I happened to see that train earlier, it was long, at least 2.5 km long and more than half the cars were tankers, all heading for the coast, along the Thompson and Fraser rivers.

I see these trains on the CPR line regularly. The longest I've been able to measure was 3 km long. Many have placards on the side, 1202 diesel, 1203 gasoline plus others.

Those opposed to the pipelines should take a drive into the interior, checking out the trains on the CPR and CNR lines.

One incident on a line and things will be ugly.

Does anyone think rail transport of oil is better than pipeline?
So you'd rather have a leak? Could you imagine 100,000 litres dumped in a residential area (or in Burrard Inlet)?

100,000 litres of ‘sour emulsion’ spilled from northern Alberta pipeline leak
https://globalnews.ca/news/7726992/nort ... -emulsion/
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

Was listening to the CBC yesterday morning and they had a prof from SFU on talking about how it's only going to cost money but provide no benefit if the Transmountain pipeline is built to completion.

A lot of the reasoning is that with Enbridge and other projects moving forward the TransX project will only be overkill.

Ever noticed how other participants left the project?
In 2020, three insurance companies, that had previously supported the project, withdrew their support, including Zurich Insurance Group the leading insurer. The company that is advancing the project, says that it still have enough insurance coverage.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Mountain_pipeline
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

typhoon44 wrote: 100,000 litres of ‘sour emulsion’ spilled from northern Alberta pipeline leak
One rail tanker hold just under 114,000 liters of oil.

That's just ONE!

Imagine a train derailing with hundreds of these. I know they wont all leak but it would only take a few to be a real problem.

I would rather see pipelines.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
Sparki55
Lord of the Board

Post by Sparki55 »

anyone who reads data supports pipelines over rail transport of oil:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoo ... -1.5461371
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Don't confuse the issue with facts! :biggrin:
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
liisgo
Übergod

Post by liisgo »

And this is how brain dead so many have become. They believe, because of the powers to be and their media abilities, that deleting the use of pipelines is the way to the future. To fly the flag of "im important" over ones head, with out having any idea what they have actually done.
This pipeline issue was just used in the US election and now thousand more worth of oil tankers for the railroads were purchased by guess who? Gates and Buffet, who just happens to own the largest railroads. They also have acknowledged they supported Biden and the Dem's. Go figure. So now all that same amount of oil is being shipped via railroad and the rich that supported the Dem's to get it to happen.
And people still feel they supported something meaningful.
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

But if we reduce our reliance on oil to safer energy sources don't we reduce the risks of spill from either pipeline or rail?
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

typhoon44 wrote: May 29th, 2021, 12:36 pm But if we reduce our reliance on oil to safer energy sources don't we reduce the risks of spill from either pipeline or rail?
Of course we do. But the key words here are if and when.

"Safer" energy sources. I'm sure they gave been discussed elsewhere. The mining of rare earth minerals are a classic example.
There are many pros and cons of these "safer" energy sources.
I_am_a_Canadian
smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

Would be interesting to know exactly how much oil production is required to build solar and wind generators. And how much diesel is used to mine the metals used for building them. The machinery used in mining will never be solar powered, not enough efficiency for the energy needed to run them. And.....
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Never say never...

This Elektro eDumper produces more power going down hill to the mill than it takes to get back up the hill to get another load. Never needs a recharge, in fact it produces 10 Kwh of extra energy every round trip.

https://youtu.be/7ikxdFeOQZE?t=8
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Kroynon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Kroynon »

Drip_Torch wrote: Jun 7th, 2021, 10:42 pm Never say never...

This Elektro eDumper produces more power going down hill to the mill than it takes to get back up the hill to get another load. Never needs a recharge, in fact it produces 10 Kwh of extra energy every round trip.

Didn't watch the vid but that sounds suspiciously like a perpetual motion machine to me...
Insert random quote here to try and make yourself appear of superior intelligence.
spooker
Lord of the Board

Post by spooker »

Kroynon wrote: Jun 8th, 2021, 8:44 pm
Drip_Torch wrote: Jun 7th, 2021, 10:42 pm Never say never...

Didn't watch the vid but that sounds suspiciously like a perpetual motion machine to me...
Nope, quite understandable in that it drives uphill using the batteries, gets a load of ore, coasts downhill engaging regenerative braking to recharge the energy used to get up the hill ... while I wouldn't expect it to last forever it's a pretty powerful cycle, unfortunately nothing made by man can fight entropy perfectly ... but mainly it would work as advertised
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

It gets more energy than it uses because of gravity and mass. More mass equals more force.
Very few mining operations take ore from higher and bring it lower. It's usually the other way.
So in this instance it's a good idea. In most operations it would not work.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Return to “Kamloops”