Toni Boot NDP candidate in next provincial election

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Toni Boot NDP candidate in next provincial election

Post by LANDM »

fluffy wrote:
gordon_as wrote:It's a solidly Liberal riding. Who the NDP runs is kind of irrelevant.

There is a possibility that the powers that be within the NDP party share that feeling and that running a woman/minority member is just window dressing. It has been stated that one of the forces driving their choice was to show diversity within their slate of candidates.

It makes for a good group pic. :D
You and 71 others Like this post
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

Black lives matter. Wondering why this battle cry has not surfaced yet. *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 23rd, 2020, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This should to be done by private message.
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

When Toni first ran for Council, her signs were targeted and spray painted with racist attacks on her. She was raised in Summerland as was Dan Ashton. Toni was raised in a working family and not in a silver spoon family as Dan Ashton was. Dan never worked blue collar as he had a family business to attend to.
I have knowledge of something Dan did when he graduated from someone that knew him back then. His family owned Ashton's Ladies Wear, small chain. He got a Corvette for graduating. He told his parents to send it back, why? because it didn't have leather seats. You say he has done alot for the riding...can someone post what he HAS done. Other than seeing a weekly column and him bashing the opposition - what has he actually done...can someone post on that please. Toni is a 1/2 black and yes the racism on her signs got her to fight more. When the bandana thing happened, Horgan even said he was proud of her for standing up to the racism in Summerland. I don't live there and she isn't in my riding. But for sure I wouldn't vote for Dan. What politician wouldn't go for a photo op if they an audience.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

The difference is she did it maliciously right in front of the store. Her photo op could have been done anywhere else but she chose the location.
If I were a business owner in Summerland I would be seriously looking at whether my mayor supports businesses or whether she would turn on them in a hissy fit. I can't imagine any business owner supporting her actions towards the owner of the store.
Does not matter anyway, she has zero chance of winning.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

DebSS wrote:When Toni first ran for Council, her signs were targeted and spray painted with racist attacks on her. She was raised in Summerland as was Dan Ashton. Toni was raised in a working family and not in a silver spoon family as Dan Ashton was. Dan never worked blue collar as he had a family business to attend to.
I have knowledge of something Dan did when he graduated from someone that knew him back then. His family owned Ashton's Ladies Wear, small chain. He got a Corvette for graduating. He told his parents to send it back, why? because it didn't have leather seats. You say he has done alot for the riding...can someone post what he HAS done. Other than seeing a weekly column and him bashing the opposition - what has he actually done...can someone post on that please. Toni is a 1/2 black and yes the racism on her signs got her to fight more. When the bandana thing happened, Horgan even said he was proud of her for standing up to the racism in Summerland. I don't live there and she isn't in my riding. But for sure I wouldn't vote for Dan. What politician wouldn't go for a photo op if they an audience.

You're suggesting we determine which candidate best deserves our vote by
  • feeling sympathy for Boot because she was raised by a family with less wealth than Ashton's
  • feeling sympathy for Boot because some of the graffiti tagging some of her campaign signs may have been done by idiots with racist views
  • comparing what Boot did to a local shop owner while an elected official for her own self-aggrandizement to what Ashton allegedly did when he was 18 years old
  • considering what Ashton has done for this riding other than a weekly column for his own self-aggrandizement at the expense of opposition politicians, while downplaying what Boot did at the expense of a constituent who is not a politician for her own self-aggrandizement
If this was all I had to go on - sympathy for Boot plus a nod from Horgan for "standing up to the racism in Summerland" when what she was actually doing was using her office as mayor inappropriately to play with identity politics at the expense of her constituents - I would absolutely be voting for someone else, not Boot.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

The most mud this person could come up with is a kid wanting leather seats? Priceless! [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I've nothing against folks with money, but it seems to me that our political system is top heavy with folks like that, and I'd like to see more representation from the working classes in order to provide "balance". Unfortunately though, not enough working class people are willing to run for office, which is why we often end up with folks in Government who mean well, but have no clue how some of their decisions actually impact those at the lower end of the financial scale in "real life" situations.

That said, elected officials have a responsibility to "do no harm" to their constituents in order to further their own political careers. And that applies to municipal politicians just as much as it does to politicians in other levels of Government.

This lady used the bandana issue as a publicity stunt, and gave absolutely no consideration to how her actions might negatively impact a local business. It's quite possible the business owner hadn't even realized the scarfs were printed with the Confederate flag (not everyone automatically recognizes that particular symbol), and would have voluntarily removed them had someone quietly pointed out the symbolism to him. Was he ever given that opportunity? We don't know but, as the Mayor of the town his business was in, and whose wages were paid in part by taxes received from that business owner, Ms Boot ought to have found a way to handle this quietly.

In addition to "doing no harm" to that particular business, Ms Boot ought to have also considered the harm she was inflicting on Summerland's public image. Municipalities spend a tidy sum each year promoting their communities to tourists and potential new residents, and actions such as Ms Boots can undo all that in one fell swoop. Which is certainly not something one expects the Mayor of a community to do.

This lady does not deserve to be re-elected to public office, at ANY level of Government, because she clearly lacks the good judgement necessary for the job.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

A person with the desire to run for office, provincially, federally or in some large cities have to receive the nomination from a political party, or they are on their own running as an independent.

Running as an independent in elections where political parties are involved is an uphill climb. Can be done, but the candidate must have some financial backing, deep pockets or have A LOT of community support.

That's the big difference in most municipal elections (excepting large cities) as everyone is basically running as an independent.

Two recent notable independents who ran federally and were elected are Chuck Cadman and Jody Wilson-Raybould. It should be noted that each of them were first elected as party members but then each wasn't supported by their party for re-election. Having a former affiliation to a political party when running as an independent is very common.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
dv7834

Post by dv7834 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:The most mud this person could come up with is a kid wanting leather seats? Priceless! [icon_lol2.gif]

There's more dirt: Apparently he also wanted heated seats.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

68 posts on someone everyone professes to not like tells me the majority of people are worried she will win . :smt045
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

indianlarry66 wrote:68 posts on someone everyone professes to not like tells me the majority of people are worried she will win . :smt045

Perhaps you aren't aware, but, in general, on all topics more people are likely to voice an opinion or protest something when they are against the subject of the opinion or protest than if they support it.

I would be very surprised if Boot got half the votes Ashton gets.

Last vote, the NDP candidate rec'd 7,874, Ashton 14,470 and there wasn't a negative backlash against that NDP candidate.

The only "if" in the equation is the support the electorate have for the NDP in general, not Boot in particular.

If a really well liked, high profile, candidate with fantastic credentials ran for the NDP in this riding this election, I'd still put my money on Ashton but it would be much closer.

The last time the NDP won this seat was in 1991. Since the 1996 election the Liberals have held this seat. The closest the NDP have come since then is in 2013, when new candidate Dan Ashton, being the mayor of Penticton, ran against Richard Cannings. Ashton won with 45.85% of the votes, 11,536 to 10,154.

Reminder... NDP formed government from Nov '91 til defeated by the Liberals in Jun 2001.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

my5cents wrote:
indianlarry66 wrote:68 posts on someone everyone professes to not like tells me the majority of people are worried she will win . :smt045

Perhaps you aren't aware, but, in general, on all topics more people are likely to voice an opinion or protest something when they are against the subject of the opinion or protest than if they support it.

I would be very surprised if Boot got half the votes Ashton gets.

Last vote, the NDP candidate rec'd 7,874, Ashton 14,470 and there wasn't a negative backlash against that NDP candidate.

The only "if" in the equation is the support the electorate have for the NDP in general, not Boot in particular.

If a really well liked, high profile, candidate with fantastic credentials ran for the NDP in this riding this election, I'd still put my money on Ashton but it would be much closer.

The last time the NDP won this seat was in 1991. Since the 1996 election the Liberals have held this seat. The closest the NDP have come since then is in 2013, when new candidate Dan Ashton, being the mayor of Penticton, ran against Richard Cannings. Ashton won with 45.85% of the votes, 11,536 to 10,154.

Reminder... NDP formed government from Nov '91 til defeated by the Liberals in Jun 2001.

I would say speak for yourself , not everyone is a pessimist . It still makes zero sense to give free publicity to someone you do not want to win .
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The NDP’s current popularity along with the Libs’ move with the PST have made this not quite so much of a sure thing for Dan. Don’t forget as much as this riding has been a Liberal stronghold for years, locals weren’t shy about electing an NDP federally. However, as much as I view the PST move as cheap politics, it wasn’t enough to move me into the Boot camp.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

indianlarry66 wrote: I would say speak for yourself , not everyone is a pessimist . It still makes zero sense to give free publicity to someone you do not want to win .

I provided facts and my personal projection based on facts.

I'm at a lost to understand how pessimism factors into this.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The Greens and NDP have decided once again to go with perennial losers in the Okanagan, conceding the seats to the BC Liberals. Basically, Horgan doesn't care about this area so he just finds whatever union thug or social activist he can and sends them out to get embarrassed in the election. Sad.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”