Things to think about this election

User avatar
Gone_Fishin
Guru
Posts: 8252
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 7:43 am

Things to think about this election

Post by Gone_Fishin »

ICBA:

Day 1 of our 30 Things to Think About This Election

Before the 2017 election, work started on a new Massey Bridge -- all approvals complete, and a contract that was coming in $900 million UNDER budget. But it was the BC Liberals who approved it -- and as soon as the Horgan NDP got in, they killed it. They wasted $100 million in actual spending, years of approval work, and an incredibly competitive bid.

Now, three years later, we're no closer to a replacement for the aging, failing Massey Tunnel.


Image
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Biden to yell “C’mon Man” repeatedly until oil imports increase.
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7688
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by Urban Cowboy »

They'll just keep doing what they've always done, as in delay delay delay, study study study, and then pass the problem on to the next government once they get the boot.

That approach is hard coded into their DNA.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7688
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Another thing to think about this election is how Horgan is lying about the reason for a snap election call.

Since Covid-19 hit all the party's have actually been working together and even agreed on some measures unanimously.

Horgan on the other hand attempted to pull off a sly one by introducing Bill 22 that everyone but the NDP is against.

The NDP had an agreement to govern with the Green party since the 2017 election, but Horgan said the deal started showing signs of instability in the legislature this summer.

He said the government had to set aside proposed mental health legislation that would have permitted officials to place youth with substance abuse issues involuntarily into care for a week.

Horgan said the government was not able to secure the Green votes needed to pass the legislation, which was also publicly opposed by the coroners' service, the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs and the representative for children and youth.

Green Leader Sonia Furstenau said Horgan is using the failed attempt to introduce controversial legislation as a cover to call an early election.


The Green leader Furstenau had this to say in a statement Wednesday...
“When the NDP use Bill 22 to mislead B.C. about the need for an election, despite all the groups opposed to it, you're getting a glimpse of how they will govern as a majority,".


So basically Horgan's "signs of instability in the legislature" is John speak for "I didn't get my way, so I'll throw a hissy fit by calling an election".

Sonia is right about one thing, this is but a tiny glimpse of what we can expect from an NDP majority government, and I for one don't need a glimpse, since I well recall their previous performance when a majority was bestowed upon them.

Johnny wants a dictatorship I have to conclude, and that's a dangerous thing to hand the grinning fool.

Apparently he thinks with four years of a majority government he can fix everything wrong in BC, while in three and a half years he's fixed nothing, unless you want to count buying motels for drug addicts, and that to the detriment of businesses affected by that decision, who have already had to lay off employees and may well not survive these times.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3953
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by bob vernon »

Charisma shouldn't count as much as it does in politics. Substance and platform should. But, geez, this Wilkinson guy has zero personality.
dg3
Board Meister
Posts: 454
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2011, 9:37 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by dg3 »

bob vernon wrote:Charisma shouldn't count as much as it does in politics. Substance and platform should. But, geez, this Wilkinson guy has zero personality.

they install party leaders who cant win,
so the person they control, wins.
enjoy the show.
User avatar
GenesisGT
Guru
Posts: 5254
Joined: Jun 19th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by GenesisGT »

In a year when government revenues are down, and expenses increased the last thing that is needed is the additional expense of an election, for no other apparent reason then to satisfy the ego of the NDP party leader.
Ladies and gentlemen, the future lies in the future!
User avatar
Urban Cowboy
Guru
Posts: 7688
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 3:47 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by Urban Cowboy »

It just dawned on me that the best part of this election call, is that at this moment Johnny is no longer Premier. :biggrin:
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
gordon_as
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3061
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by gordon_as »

I keep thinking about how boring it is with the NDP in power. Used to be you could turn on the TV almost any day and hear about questionable government contracts , fundraising , ineptitude etc. Good old corruption was good entertainment.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 65996
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by The Green Barbarian »

gordon_as wrote:I keep thinking about how boring it is with the NDP in power. Used to be you could turn on the TV almost any day and hear about questionable government contracts , fundraising , ineptitude etc. Good old corruption was good entertainment.


Governments usually need majorities to cause scandals, though the our current Federal government is proving me wrong. I fully expect a constant flow of scandals, should this province be dumb enough to give Horgan a majority.
Justin Trudeau- racist, elitist, liar. What a sick piece of garbage.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 7799
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by oldtrucker »

From a party leaders perspective this is the best time to call a election. Horgan has a majority almost in the bag, but he shouldn't have gone against his word to the Greens to not call one. If there was no other agreement discussed with the Greens then we may have a character flaw here. If there was another agreement then no, no character flaw. I understand putting the needs of his party ahead of everything, but when a man goes back on his word....
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 7799
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by oldtrucker »

dg3 wrote:they install party leaders who cant win,
so the person they control, wins.


Who is 'they'?
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3061
Joined: Feb 16th, 2008, 8:12 am

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by gordon_as »

oldtrucker wrote:From a party leaders perspective this is the best time to call a election. Horgan has a majority almost in the bag, but he shouldn't have gone against his word to the Greens to not call one. If there was no other agreement discussed with the Greens then we may have a character flaw here. If there was another agreement then no, no character flaw. I understand putting the needs of his party ahead of everything, but when a man goes back on his word....


It's not the same "greens" as he made the deal with anymore. Dr. Weaver left the Green Party and is sitting as an independent. I get the impression that Mr. Horgan and Ms. Furstenau are not best buds.
User avatar
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific
Posts: 65996
Joined: Sep 16th, 2010, 9:13 am

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by The Green Barbarian »

gordon_as wrote:
It's not the same "greens" as he made the deal with anymore. Dr. Weaver left the Green Party and is sitting as an independent. I get the impression that Mr. Horgan and Ms. Furstenau are not best buds.


Yes, it sounds like she's not willing to just let Hulk Horgan get away with everything, so that didn't sit well with the big dummy Horgan and he threw a temper tantrum. What else is new.
Justin Trudeau- racist, elitist, liar. What a sick piece of garbage.

"Mr. Trudeau, you are a disgrace to any democracy. Please spare us your presence" - European Union addressing the sad sack of **** that is currently our PM.
butcher99
Guru
Posts: 5822
Joined: Mar 6th, 2005, 8:52 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by butcher99 »

You may like the proposal the Liberals put forward but not a single one of the municipalities liked it.
And how can you say it is 800 milion under budget when it has not even started? Look at site C. 6 billion, then 12 billion, now some estimates have that at 20 billion plus. No, don't want to get into that. I am just saying mega projects tend to come in WAY over budget. Over and over.
It is not under budget as no budget was ever put forward for it. Was that not the estimated cost before proposals?
rustled
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15935
Joined: Dec 26th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Re: Things to think about this election

Post by rustled »

butcher99 wrote:You may like the proposal the Liberals put forward but not a single one of the municipalities liked it.
And how can you say it is 800 milion under budget when it has not even started? Look at site C. 6 billion, then 12 billion, now some estimates have that at 20 billion plus. No, don't want to get into that. I am just saying mega projects tend to come in WAY over budget. Over and over.
It is not under budget as no budget was ever put forward for it. Was that not the estimated cost before proposals?

I always find it a bit rich when a project is impeded by political roadblock after roadblock after roadblock, and those supporting those impediments complain about the rising costs of the project they've been impeding with roadblock after roadblock after roadblock.
Ideology...gives evil-doing its long-sought justification and gives the evildoer the necessary steadfastness and determination...[it] is the social theory which helps to make his actions seem good instead of bad in his own and others' eyes...
-Solzhenitsyn

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”