Political signs

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Political signs

Post by GordonH »

With all the forms of coverage of each level of political elections, why do we still need these roadside signs.
impo political parties could save $$$ by all parties dropping them all together.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... rout-Creek
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Political signs

Post by Even Steven »

Hate them. I threw two into garbage already.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote:Hate them. I threw two into garbage already.

I don't like them either but unless these were put on your property without your permission you could get in trouble for doing that.
Mrmarvingardens
Board Meister

Post by Mrmarvingardens »

Lot and lots of signs at the Don O ray Farms for Renee Merrifield...
Does this mean the Basran family vote Liberal?.....Just asking
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Mrmarvingardens wrote:Lot and lots of signs at the Don O ray Farms for Renee Merrifield...
Does this mean the Basran family vote Liberal?.....Just asking

What it means, is that the campaign workers chose to place themselves at a location that is currently extremely busy, but I think you already knew that.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

A point of contention for me. There used to be a bylaw in Penticton, not uncommon to many municipalities I understand, that prohibited the placing of campaign signs on publicly owned property. That meant that a candidate had to have the support of a private property owner in order to display a sign. Voters could gauge the amount of support a candidate had by the number of signs you saw. Now, with signs being placed willy-nilly on public property, a relatively recent change, all a voter can assess is how many signs a candidate can afford. Which do you think is a better measure of a candidate ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

fluffy wrote:A point of contention for me. There used to be a bylaw in Penticton, not uncommon to many municipalities I understand, that prohibited the placing of campaign signs on publicly owned property. That meant that a candidate had to have the support of a private property owner in order to display a sign. Voters could gauge the amount of support a candidate had by the number of signs you saw. Now, with signs being placed willy-nilly on public property, a relatively recent change, all a voter can assess is how many signs a candidate can afford. Which do you think is a better measure of a candidate ?

I remember were I grew up each party sign person would come and ask my parents if they could put up a sign.
My parents would say yes with 1 rule, that all the candidates in riding get same size sign as well on our property.
I asked why, they said laughing secret ballot you know.

I find them just to be roadside trash/eyesore and unnecessary.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote:
fluffy wrote:A point of contention for me. There used to be a bylaw in Penticton, not uncommon to many municipalities I understand, that prohibited the placing of campaign signs on publicly owned property. That meant that a candidate had to have the support of a private property owner in order to display a sign. Voters could gauge the amount of support a candidate had by the number of signs you saw. Now, with signs being placed willy-nilly on public property, a relatively recent change, all a voter can assess is how many signs a candidate can afford. Which do you think is a better measure of a candidate ?

I remember were I grew up each party sign person would come and ask my parents if they could put up a sign.
My parents would say yes with 1 rule, that all the candidates in riding get same size sign as well on our property.
I asked why, they said laughing secret ballot you know.

I find them just to be roadside trash/eyesore and unnecessary.

I think allowing or offering a sign on your property is a good way to publicly show your support for a particular candidate or party, if you choose to do so. Whereas signs on public property show only that you have the time and money to put ups signs - in other words, they are pretty much meaningless. As you say - trash, an eyesore and unnecessary.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Bsuds wrote:
Even Steven wrote:Hate them. I threw two into garbage already.

I don't like them either but unless these were put on your property without your permission you could get in trouble for doing that.

Yeah, I know.

I've also contemplated on scratching off "N" in Amanda Poon's signs just for giggles but that sounds like too much work.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

I don't like them all over either. Does one candidate really need 6 signs at one intersection?

What I don't agree with, is the idiots who write rude things on people's signs.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

CanuckFan wrote:I don't like them all over either. Does one candidate really need 6 signs at one intersection?

What I don't agree with, is the idiots who write rude things on people's signs.

I also don't agree with the vandalism to any candidates signage.
Don't care what party - the signs are a part of the election process - even if I dislike them.

What I do find curious though is that NONE of the candidates have made a strong public statement against the vandals.
Not speaking against the damage is by omission condoning it.
removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 22nd, 2020, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic. Wrong country
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

There was a story in today's Morning Star, and they did have comments from Eric Foster - maybe others.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Renee had them placed within inches of each other nearly filling entire blocks ( City property) That alone would have changed my mind if I was voting her party. Which changes lol
I might be laid back but I can lean forward real quick
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Whilst out and about I couldn't help but think about optics, given that on the roads I drove the NDP and Liberal campaign signs were gone, but the Greens are still there. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “BC Provincial Elections 2020”