May and June rain missing this year

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

May and June rain missing this year

Post by bob vernon »

We are setting up for a huge fire season. May and June are usually wet months and July and August are dry. In years when we miss the May and June rains, we have a lot more fires and big ones, too. It's looking like we might see some June temperature records fall in the next week. And no significant rain in sight.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... -for-weeks
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: May and June rain missing this year

Post by XT225 »

bob vernon wrote: Jun 22nd, 2021, 11:13 am We are setting up for a huge fire season. May and June are usually wet months and July and August are dry. In years when we miss the May and June rains, we have a lot more fires and big ones, too. It's looking like we might see some June temperature records fall in the next week. And no significant rain in sight.

I am very surprised that Forestry has not banned all fires, even campfires in B.C. Enough people have propane campfires/stoves now that most folks would not mind at all. We can't stop lightning from starting fires but they CAN help the cause by banning all man-made fires presently.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Carbon is the culprit.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

2017 was the last time we had a June this dry, mind you there was more rain in May of 2017 alone than there has been this whole year so far. It's very dry.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

bob vernon wrote: Jun 22nd, 2021, 11:13 am We are setting up for a huge fire season. May and June are usually wet months and July and August are dry. In years when we miss the May and June rains, we have a lot more fires and big ones, too. It's looking like we might see some June temperature records fall in the next week. And no significant rain in sight.

The fire danger rating this year is nothing like 2017...
dr-june222021.png
dr-July06-2017.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Glacier wrote: Jun 22nd, 2021, 1:51 pm The fire danger rating this year is nothing like 2017...
Do you have the map for June 22nd 2017 saved?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote: Jun 22nd, 2021, 2:29 pm
Glacier wrote: Jun 22nd, 2021, 1:51 pm The fire danger rating this year is nothing like 2017...
Do you have the map for June 22nd 2017 saved?
No, but remember that 2018 ended up being worse than 2017, and yet, there was no fire danger rating to speak of until mid-July....
36554227_10156181260386628_7664682912842776576_n.jpg
Just for fun, here is the comparison between 2017 and last year...
106988437_10158077519691628_7426220435955984660_n.jpg
106613135_10158091253736628_8789483184924553469_n.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

It's all hype?
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

There was little to no growth of the underbrush this year. No rain no growth.
That makes the fire risk less.
If this had been a wet spring followed by a dry summer I would be worried.
That being said there is no way to truly predict weather, climate or number of fires.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

JagXKR wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 8:03 pm There was little to no growth of the underbrush this year. No rain no growth.
That being said there is no way to truly predict weather, climate or number of fires.
How do you know there's been little to no underbrush growth?
WW
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

tsayta wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 8:49 pm How do you know there's been little to no underbrush growth?
Oh I forgot, underbrush doesn't need moisture to grow. It uses fairy dust.
Again, no rain no growth.
Watch any plant that gets no water. No growth.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

What I meant was have you observed this first hand in the forest? I have been out quite a bit and hadn't noticed. You have a good point though. I shall check it out next time I'm out
WW
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

JagXKR wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 8:03 pm There was little to no growth of the underbrush this year. No rain no growth.
Generally speaking I'd agree with you, but there was plenty of moisture, and a very robust green up, last year. Don't think anyone went out and weed wacked the works - it's still there. If this were the third or forth year of significant drought I'd agree with you 100%, but it's not.

Once this heat bubble is done, I'd expect it will go out with a bang, boom, the occasional sizzle and thunderous crash. We can hope there's some significant moisture that pushes in with it, because the wildfire service will probably need some time to get a handle on things at the end of this.

Enjoy the heat, but buckle up - we're in it. Get your summer photos now, so you can fill the facebook pages later.

:130:
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Drip_Torch wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 11:03 pm Generally speaking I'd agree with you, but there was plenty of moisture, and a very robust green up, last year. Don't think anyone went out and weed wacked the works - it's still there. If this were the third or forth year of significant drought I'd agree with you 100%, but it's not.
I forgot about last years growth. DOH!
I recant my previous assertion.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

2017 was an extremely dry summer. June through to August had something like a third of a mm of rain each month.

Right now we are looking at a week or more of extreme heat then a week of just hot weather. No rain in sight.
So the next couple of weeks could get pretty ugly.

We already have a couple of pet carriers available and will keep other necessities close by.
I'm not concerned about our yard, but one neighbour has hoards of lumber, firewood, junk and weeds several feet high.
Another neighbour has a couple of large spruce trees that he never waters. They would explode if a spark hit them.

Otherwise, all we can do is hope for the best.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Fire Watch 2021”