Coulson Aviation Released by BC MOF

OldIslander
Board Meister

Coulson Aviation Released by BC MOF

Post by OldIslander »

Coulson Aviation just posted the following on Facebook:

Coulson Aviation - Next Gen Firefighting

BC Wildfire Service released S-61 Type 1 Helicopter C-FXEC on Wednesday as it was no longer required in the province and it's headed to Montana with the USFS to support Initial Attack and multiple complex fires in the area.
We would like to thank the BCWS for a very productive 5 days and Coulson was proud to support the people of BC!

There have been rumours for years that Coulson has alienated upper MOF management. But you'd think that at a time like this, with multiple campaign fires burning, the bush tinder dry, and more fires starting every day, that they'd overlook past hostilities and throw everything available at the problem.

Apparently, Coulson is well liked and appreciated by numerous American wildfire agencies. It would sure be interesting to know what's going on between Coulson and the deep thinkers in our MOF.

Edit: the original photo link disappeared... the above was subbed...
Last edited by OldIslander on Aug 6th, 2021, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Coulson Aviation Released by BC MOF

Post by JagXKR »

Cost of this expensive company is probably the main reason. If the dollar was on par you may see Coulson go under.
This is all 3rd hand info but my understanding is Coulson prices themselves out of Cdn markets and goes where the exchange rate makes them competitive.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

That's one expensive helicopter. My guess is 10 million. Can it do 4 times the work as a $3 million dollar machine? If not, better to fire the lower cost ones.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

JagXKR wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 10:39 am Cost of this expensive company is probably the main reason. If the dollar was on par you may see Coulson go under.
This is all 3rd hand info but my understanding is Coulson prices themselves out of Cdn markets and goes where the exchange rate makes them competitive.
:up: Exactly I suspect. Coulson is paid in US dollars down south and parts are priced in US dollars.
Perhaps Wayne wanted the same rates up here and BCFS balked and so off they go...again.
Glacier wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 11:53 am That's one expensive helicopter. My guess is 10 million. Can it do 4 times the work as a $3 million dollar machine? If not, better to fire the lower cost ones.
Yea, an S-61 like this is old technology but is cost effective because of it. 10,000 pound lift capacity but I suspect because of fuel load and temps, it might carry 7500-8000 pounds of water.
Coulson has used these for rap-attack in the States and I think are try to get night vision approved down there as well for these heli's. They have NVG approval for the S-70(Blackhawk) they use down there I think.
Good-ol logging rockets..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

There are other 61's & Super Puma helicopters available. It's just Coulson playing games as usual.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

canuck500 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 1:03 pm There are other 61's & Super Puma helicopters available. It's just Coulson playing games as usual.
^^likes x 10 :up:
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

I know at least one of Coldstream Helicopters Super Puma's has been working on fires.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

canuck500 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 1:03 pm There are other 61's & Super Puma helicopters available. It's just Coulson playing games as usual.
Should they be fighting fires for free? The costs of maintaining a fleet of fire fighting aircraft will not be cheap
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
canuck500
Fledgling

Post by canuck500 »

I'm referring to Coulson complaining every time he doesn't get used. You don't hear any other operator go running to the media if their aircraft aren't being used.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

:up:
Good to hear people on here that appear to know what they are talking about. Jumping in before the armchair generals do.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Boosted632 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 1:47 pm Should they be fighting fires for free? The costs of maintaining a fleet of fire fighting aircraft will not be cheap
They are gougers. My opinion, from what I've heard.
They do not represent good honest hardworking businesses of BC.
Let them go to the States or elsewhere and gouge those that are needing help during an emergency.
No morals.
Again my opinion, for years, which I have not seen ANY reason to change.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Maybe Coulson should take note of the Alberta governments request of nurses. Maybe is the company lowered their sub contract costs to MOF - they would be kept more busy. Obviously this is a company that is only interested in high prices and less utilization. Rather than lower prices and longer use of their equipment. In the end the company has been proven over and over to not be essential in BC fire fighting. Its one company of hundreds. No big deal.
Raven1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Raven1 »

When you have a look at Coulson’s history with the forestry industry in a greater context than putting out wildfires….there lies your truth.

Coulson is very good at what they do and recognized world wide for their abilities, equipment and innovation.

Forestry in British Columbia, and dare I say Canada, has many skeletons lurking and Coulson doesn’t need to lower his standards.
deedub
Fledgling

Post by deedub »

meanwhile the province burns .
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Province is ready past the point of ever paying off its debt, may as well borrow more and hire Coulson to help put out BC.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Fire Watch 2021”