Brenda Mines Fire

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Brenda Mines Fire

Post by oneh2obabe »

oldtrucker wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 1:19 pm Ah....if it does destroy the power grid supplying West Kelowna they can just close a lane down on the bridge, run a big cord over and plug them in again. :smt045 [icon_lol2.gif]
GordonH wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 3:17 pm I just see it now... Fortis suppling BC Hydro customers with power for boat load of $$$$.
Interesting how they state either Alternative 2 or 3d would be confirmed in the fall but there's no date on the news release.
A new alternative, Alternative 3d, was identified for further study. It would connect our Westbank Substation to the FortisBC system. We're working with FortisBC to determine the feasibility of this alternative.
https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/projects/wktp.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I just found a BC Hydro announcement from May of 2020 telling us that they would be discussing with Fortis the idea of hooking up the Westbank substation with power from Fortis in Kelowna. Hmmm . . . I really have to wonder if there is any serious attempt at getting a backup source of power in here. Perhaps I'm being too cynical . . . but . . .

A friend of mine just told me that a friend of his, a Peachland volunteer firefighter, was supposed to be heading up to the fire this evening. Apparently he and his colleagues were told to wait until tomorrow because the winds up there are too strong this evening. So . . . get those candles ready and make sure you know where your flashlights are.

Once again, fingers crossed.
gottalot

Post by gottalot »

I live up Trepanier and the winds are really picking up here.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Urbane wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 7:16 pm I just found a BC Hydro announcement from May of 2020 telling us that they would be discussing with Fortis the idea of hooking up the Westbank substation with power from Fortis in Kelowna. Hmmm . . . I really have to wonder if there is any serious attempt at getting a backup source of power in here. Perhaps I'm being too cynical . . . but . . .

A friend of mine just told me that a friend of his, a Peachland volunteer firefighter, was supposed to be heading up to the fire this evening. Apparently he and his colleagues were told to wait until tomorrow because the winds up there are too strong this evening. So . . . get those candles ready and make sure you know where your flashlights are.

Once again, fingers crossed.
Canadian Armed Forces standby with your biggest electric generators you have... with plenty of diesel.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Urbane wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 7:16 pm I just found a BC Hydro announcement from May of 2020 telling us that they would be discussing with Fortis the idea of hooking up the Westbank substation with power from Fortis in Kelowna. Hmmm . . . I really have to wonder if there is any serious attempt at getting a backup source of power in here. Perhaps I'm being too cynical . . . but . . .
Hooking into Fortis is Alternative 3b. Alternative 2 that involves building a new transmission line from the Westbank Substation to the Nicola Substation using a different route than the existing transmission line remains the leading alternative.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 7:56 pm Hooking into Fortis is Alternative 3b. Alternative 2 that involves building a new transmission line from the Westbank Substation to the Nicola Substation using a different route than the existing transmission line remains the leading alternative.
Most logical one would be 3b.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Here's the Castanet article on the subject from April of last year:
Utilities discuss partnership for 2nd power source to the Westside
Hydro, Fortis could collaborate
Wayne Moore - Apr 22, 2020 / 6:00 pm | Story: 297999

In a time when dire headlines surrounding COVID-19 dominate the news, the City of West Kelowna was able to share some good news with its residents concerning a second power supply for the region.

The city has been battling with BC Hydro for more than a decade to have a second power line for an area servicing more than 70,000 people.

Recently, council has been frustrated with BC Hydro over the utility's desire to study resilience of the current power grid, rather than moving ahead with a second redundant power source.

Reading from a letter received from BC Hydro, Coun. Doug Findlater was pleased to hear it has "pulled its silly resiliency alternative off the table."

The letter further stated a second redundant line from the Nicola sub station in Merritt remains the Number 1 alternative.

"And, they're talking to Fortis about the most obvious solution that we've been talking all along, an underwater to the east side of the lake," said Findlater.

Mayor Gord Milsom said he was also pleased to see Hydro's confirmation the region does need a second, alternative power supply.

"BC Hydro's single transmission line provides power to about 70,000 people, and to many businesses on the Greater Westside," said Milsom.

"It's imperative that we have alternative power supply for the safety of our residents, and to allow for the continuance of business, health care and other facilities."
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

oneh2obabe wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 7:56 pm Hooking into Fortis is Alternative 3b. Alternative 2 that involves building a new transmission line from the Westbank Substation to the Nicola Substation using a different route than the existing transmission line remains the leading alternative.
GordonH wrote: Jul 16th, 2021, 8:08 pm Most logical one would be 3b.
Depends what Fortis wants to charge BC Hydro ff they decide to join forces. The Nicola Substation is part of BC Hydro.

Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Brenda-0716.jpg
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
roseridge
Board Meister

Post by roseridge »

The 230Kv transmission line from Vernon to Kelowna is nearing its capacity of 200MW - which feeds the Black Mountain and DG Bell substations - which connects to a 138Kv backup line from Penticton (Which was a 161kV line, before the Okanagan Transmission reinforcement project, but was downgraded to 138kV, because it is not a standard transmission voltage in North America). At any given moment, the line is running at close to 90% of its design capacity, and on the June 27, demand soared to 307MW, which is just short of the 325MW that would result in a circuit breaker trip. If a fire were to take out the transmission line to the westside, with option 3b, on a peak demand day, it would take power to the rest of Kelowna and Lake country too. The best option is to either bring a 500kV line to the westside, to feed Kelowna as well, or use alternative 2.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Can we start a new thread on second power line and keep this one on fire news guys? 🙂
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

From Castanet with the latest update:
The B.C. Wildfire Services says a fire burning in the Brenda Mines area off of Highway 97C is still 500 hectares in size.

“It doesn’t appear that we’ve had any updates for growth, so size is still 500 hectares estimated, and the fire is still classified as out of control,'' says Taylor Shantz of B.C. Wildfire Services.

There are also 6 firefighters and 3 helicopters fighting the flames. Shantz says there will be another update sometime later this afternoon.

Residents of West Kelowna, WFN, Peachland and rural areas are still being told to prepare for a possible power outage, as the fire is threatening the Greater Westside’s only link to BC Hydro’s grid which is running straight through the fire perimeter. Fortunately, none of their transmission lines have sustained damage.
If you want to go the BC Wildfire service for updates here's the link:

BC Wildfire updates: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScri ... asp?ID=847
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Urbane wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 9:43 am Residents of West Kelowna, WFN, Peachland and rural areas are still being told to prepare for a possible power outage, as the fire is threatening the Greater Westside’s only link to BC Hydro’s grid which is running straight through the fire perimeter. Fortunately, none of their transmission lines have sustained damage.
I'm good. Talked to my son in Kamloops this morning - he's having friends in K'town deliver a generator to me tomorrow. Will be hooked up and kept in fuel as long as it's needed.

binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Urbane wrote: Jul 17th, 2021, 9:43 am From Castanet with the latest update:
The B.C. Wildfire Services says a fire burning in the Brenda Mines area off of Highway 97C is still 500 hectares in size.

“It doesn’t appear that we’ve had any updates for growth, so size is still 500 hectares estimated, and the fire is still classified as out of control,'' says Taylor Shantz of B.C. Wildfire Services.

There are also 6 firefighters and 3 helicopters fighting the flames. Shantz says there will be another update sometime later this afternoon.

Residents of West Kelowna, WFN, Peachland and rural areas are still being told to prepare for a possible power outage, as the fire is threatening the Greater Westside’s only link to BC Hydro’s grid which is running straight through the fire perimeter. Fortunately, none of their transmission lines have sustained damage.
If you want to go the BC Wildfire service for updates here's the link:

BC Wildfire updates: http://bcfireinfo.for.gov.bc.ca/hprScri ... asp?ID=847

Gee maybe castanet should go to that link and update us. When I first read SIX firefighters on a fire that could devastate 60,000 people I was shocked. In that link it says 27 firefighters. This fire should take priority over ALL the others when it’s impact could affect 60,000 people. My thoughts are that they could hit this hard enough to put it out. With enough manpower that is, so do what you have to do to put 60,000 people at ease. But what do I know. Maybe it’s not that simple but to me it seems it could be.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^There are approximately 111 active fires in the Kamloops fire district. Do you really think it's acceptable to pull resources from all other fires to concentrate on Brenda Mines? Yes, there would be a lot of people SOL if the transmission line went down but how many people would be affected and buildings lost if all other fires were left to burn unattended?

Not sure, but I'd think there would be a few firefighters dedicated to the transmission line to ensure the fire doesn't damage it.

Return to “Fire Watch 2021”