Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 32630
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by normaM »

Gordon has a point, build near the water hardly shocking it may flood
The fish need to be protected ( and I don't eat fish... loved watching the salmon runs tho
I identify as a threat. My pronouns are try / me
User avatar
Gone_Fishin
Guru
Posts: 9514
Joined: Sep 6th, 2006, 7:43 am

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by Gone_Fishin »

The family in the news story has complained for years about their property being flooded when Mission Creek rises during freshet.

Build on a floodplain where the creek historically flowed for hundreds of years, and you too may just get wet.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Why did Canadian government officials meet with neo-Nazis from the Azov Batalion in 2018?
swamp1967
Newbie
Posts: 89
Joined: Nov 13th, 2010, 10:10 am

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by swamp1967 »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Jun 17th, 2022, 10:07 am The family in the news story has complained for years about their property being flooded when Mission Creek rises during freshet.

Build on a floodplain where the creek historically flowed for hundreds of years, and you too may just get wet.
I think you missed the point that they said. The didn't say floods don't happen, but the scale has changed and that's the issue as it now has potential to destroy a bridge you may cross, a road you drive on, or flood the crop that someone grows to feed you.
User avatar
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 15195
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by Catsumi »

I listened to that chap being interviewed on a morning CBC local station, wherein he said that those responsible for doing dredging and cleanup had been neglecting to do so. When melt and rains combine large amounts of water shift downed trees where they jam up against the bridge that causes the flooding. The water backs up onto his land as it just can’t get thru the bottleneck.

That’s what I got from the i/v.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” - Mark Twain

“"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -W. Churchill
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23856
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by alanjh595 »

Catsumi wrote: Jun 17th, 2022, 5:00 pm I listened to that chap being interviewed on a morning CBC local station, wherein he said that those responsible for doing dredging and cleanup had been neglecting to do so. When melt and rains combine large amounts of water shift downed trees where they jam up against the bridge that causes the flooding. The water backs up onto his land as it just can’t get thru the bottleneck.

That’s what I got from the i/v.
So therefore: the problem is not with the bottom of the creek, it's with what is floating on the top of the creek. Maybe, just remove all the trees from the banks and prevent them from falling into the creek in the 1st place?
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by captkirkcanada »

alanjh595 wrote: Jun 18th, 2022, 12:03 pm
Catsumi wrote: Jun 17th, 2022, 5:00 pm I listened to that chap being interviewed on a morning CBC local station, wherein he said that those responsible for doing dredging and cleanup had been neglecting to do so. When melt and rains combine large amounts of water shift downed trees where they jam up against the bridge that causes the flooding. The water backs up onto his land as it just can’t get thru the bottleneck.

That’s what I got from the i/v.
So therefore: the problem is not with the bottom of the creek, it's with what is floating on the top of the creek. Maybe, just remove all the trees from the banks and prevent them from falling into the creek in the 1st place?
might as well turn the lake into a septic field then cause once you dredge a creek and remove trees from bank its a dead lake.
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
User avatar
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 23856
Joined: Oct 20th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by alanjh595 »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 18th, 2022, 2:21 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Jun 18th, 2022, 12:03 pm

So therefore: the problem is not with the bottom of the creek, it's with what is floating on the top of the creek. Maybe, just remove all the trees from the banks and prevent them from falling into the creek in the 1st place?
might as well turn the lake into a septic field then cause once you dredge a creek and remove trees from bank its a dead lake.
Remove the trees from any waterway and what is left? ........A beach.
Bring back the LIKE button.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 34889
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by GordonH »

Purchasing in a floodplain is pure foolishness, then :swear: and complaining when it floods is hilarious.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
swamp1967
Newbie
Posts: 89
Joined: Nov 13th, 2010, 10:10 am

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by swamp1967 »

Interesting presentation from Mission Creek Restoration Initiative to City Council on June 20, 2022. Dredging IS one of the steps required to help with restoration....

https://video.isilive.ca/play/kelowna/e ... -01-08.mp4
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 36999
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by Glacier »

bob vernon wrote: Jun 16th, 2022, 5:48 pm I loved hearing the rant by a guy from Lumby the other day. His million dollar home near a creek had flooded and he was mad because the creek hadn't been dredged. He said "fish don't pay taxes". But I think that the people who harvest the fish sure do.

Would dredging the creeks help stop flooding? Maybe not building on the flood plain would help stop flooding. ALL of us pay with higher insurance premiums when development takes place near the water and it floods.
There are million dollar homes in Lumby? Most by the creek are trailers and such.

No, we don't pay higher insurance because those of us with an IQ over 95 know to buy where there's zero percent chance of flooding and therefore don't purchase flood insurance.

But I do get your point that people (and governments) need to stop development of any kind where it floods.

Dredging the creek is off the table because there are salmon in the creek. DFO says no.

Diking is also off the table because if a dike fails, the village of Lumby is responsible. They tore the dikes down because they wanted the homeowners to have the risk if another flood happened.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by captkirkcanada »

swamp1967 wrote: Jun 21st, 2022, 7:06 am Interesting presentation from Mission Creek Restoration Initiative to City Council on June 20, 2022. Dredging IS one of the steps required to help with restoration....

https://video.isilive.ca/play/kelowna/e ... -01-08.mp4

https://watershedwatch.ca/restoring-hab ... e-to-home/ no mention of dredging
https://oaec.org/projects/salmon-creek- ... n-program/ no dredging used .
For a salmon on its spawning run, though, a neat and tidy stream is a dead end. There’s little place to rest on the long journey to the sea. There are few places to lay eggs. A lack of pools means less space for juvenile salmon that spend a year or more in freshwater.

As such, survival of young salmon drops.

No: salmon don’t need neat and tidy. They need dead trees. They need debris. They need variety.
https://blog.nature.org/science/2013/08 ... storation/

i disagree dredging is needed to restore the creek, in fact dredging will kill the creek . :smt045 :D
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
swamp1967
Newbie
Posts: 89
Joined: Nov 13th, 2010, 10:10 am

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by swamp1967 »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 21st, 2022, 3:52 pm
swamp1967 wrote: Jun 21st, 2022, 7:06 am Interesting presentation from Mission Creek Restoration Initiative to City Council on June 20, 2022. Dredging IS one of the steps required to help with restoration....

https://video.isilive.ca/play/kelowna/e ... -01-08.mp4

https://watershedwatch.ca/restoring-hab ... e-to-home/ no mention of dredging
https://oaec.org/projects/salmon-creek- ... n-program/ no dredging used .
For a salmon on its spawning run, though, a neat and tidy stream is a dead end. There’s little place to rest on the long journey to the sea. There are few places to lay eggs. A lack of pools means less space for juvenile salmon that spend a year or more in freshwater.

As such, survival of young salmon drops.

No: salmon don’t need neat and tidy. They need dead trees. They need debris. They need variety.
https://blog.nature.org/science/2013/08 ... storation/

i disagree dredging is needed to restore the creek, in fact dredging will kill the creek . :smt045 :D
When you walk along Mission Creek between KLO and Casorso bridges, when the Kokanee should be spawning, you will see almost nothing. The smaller gravel is what they are looking for to lay their eggs and there is none as the bed is like hard pavement with bigger rocks. When you compare to 2021 with it's low, low, low numbers to about 300,000 Kokanee in the 1970's, it's almost dead. Doing nothing hasn't worked.
User avatar
captkirkcanada
Banned
Posts: 4164
Joined: Dec 17th, 2021, 11:07 am

Re: Would dredging Mission Creek help stop flooding?

Post by captkirkcanada »

swamp1967 wrote: Jun 23rd, 2022, 7:24 am
captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 21st, 2022, 3:52 pm


https://watershedwatch.ca/restoring-hab ... e-to-home/ no mention of dredging
https://oaec.org/projects/salmon-creek- ... n-program/ no dredging used .


https://blog.nature.org/science/2013/08 ... storation/

i disagree dredging is needed to restore the creek, in fact dredging will kill the creek . :smt045 :D
When you walk along Mission Creek between KLO and Casorso bridges, when the Kokanee should be spawning, you will see almost nothing. The smaller gravel is what they are looking for to lay their eggs and there is none as the bed is like hard pavement with bigger rocks. When you compare to 2021 with it's low, low, low numbers to about 300,000 Kokanee in the 1970's, it's almost dead. Doing nothing hasn't worked.
i agree with your assessment that there may be problems with how the stream bed is now. all im saying is dredging the creek so its low enough to not flood anymore will end any chance the fish had. if it takes disturbing the creek bed to make it more attractive for spawning then that's fine. just that in my mind dredging for depth and what you are saying are worlds apart in effect .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .

Return to “Flood Watch 2022”