Its time for Mayor Basran to go

Jonrox

Re: Its time for Mayor Basran to go

Post by Jonrox »

I'll be voting for both Mayor Basran and Ron Cannan.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

That’s what Democracy is all about. Get out and vote for the people you want.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
kutan

Post by kutan »

Blaker wrote: Oct 2nd, 2022, 8:56 pm You are obviously very at odds with conservative viewpoints...fair enough. I'm right of centre but agree so often with left of centre views...some friends call me a waffle iron.

Two things (my opinion) on your post. I thought Dyas thoughts on truth and reconciliation were honest and spot on. He doesn't know or understand because he is a white male. He essentially admitted what he doesn't know but says as Mayor he would thoughtfully engage. personally I appreciate his honesty rather than a canned response.

Second...I appreciate your left leaning beliefs...they are important when we are talking federal politics....But municipally not so much. I'm working on my list of candidates who I'm voting for and two so far (Charlie and Loyal) are far more left leaning than I am when it would come to federal politics. But I trust them to run our city even if I don't agree with ever decision they make. We need balance there...
Well no, being a white male does not have anything to do with whether you can understand truth and reconciliation. BIPOC people are specifically asking us to understand this and to make things right. Anti-racism is a painful process of uncovering our racial biases. It's painful because it is shocking to realize that we are each a part of the problem. Racism is not a word, a label, an abstract idea... It's generations of conditioning from politicians, church leaders, teachers, parents, police, militaries, who all used racist concepts to divide and conquer, to achieve their objectives. We are a part of that whether we want to be or not. For many people, their first go-to jokes are racist jokes and the first people they blame when anything goes wrong are the others, the immigrants, the BIPOC people. Indigenous people are asking, praying, and begging for us to understand that this is the harsh reality they face today, in 2022, and to take part in a healing process that will result in the rejection of racism and the unity of all people.

For me it's also not really about Left vs Right. I have voted for Conservatives in the past. I went on a roadtrip to the US just to see a Ron Paul speech during his 2012 campaign, and I got to shake his hand. I currently vote most often for the NDP. I vote for who I truly believe is sharing good ideas, and I would love to see Conservative candidates in our area be brave enough to reject bigotry and share good ideas but I see none. They really are focused on bigotry these days.
Awaken to the depth of nonconceptual being,
where problems cannot exist. There is no past
or future. There is no here or there. This is the teaching of the masters.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

kutan wrote: Oct 5th, 2022, 4:40 pm
Blaker wrote: Oct 2nd, 2022, 8:56 pm You are obviously very at odds with conservative viewpoints...fair enough. I'm right of centre but agree so often with left of centre views...some friends call me a waffle iron.

Two things (my opinion) on your post. I thought Dyas thoughts on truth and reconciliation were honest and spot on. He doesn't know or understand because he is a white male. He essentially admitted what he doesn't know but says as Mayor he would thoughtfully engage. personally I appreciate his honesty rather than a canned response.

Second...I appreciate your left leaning beliefs...they are important when we are talking federal politics....But municipally not so much. I'm working on my list of candidates who I'm voting for and two so far (Charlie and Loyal) are far more left leaning than I am when it would come to federal politics. But I trust them to run our city even if I don't agree with ever decision they make. We need balance there...
Well no, being a white male does not have anything to do with whether you can understand truth and reconciliation. BIPOC people are specifically asking us to understand this and to make things right. Anti-racism is a painful process of uncovering our racial biases. It's painful because it is shocking to realize that we are each a part of the problem. Racism is not a word, a label, an abstract idea... It's generations of conditioning from politicians, church leaders, teachers, parents, police, militaries, who all used racist concepts to divide and conquer, to achieve their objectives. We are a part of that whether we want to be or not. For many people, their first go-to jokes are racist jokes and the first people they blame when anything goes wrong are the others, the immigrants, the BIPOC people. Indigenous people are asking, praying, and begging for us to understand that this is the harsh reality they face today, in 2022, and to take part in a healing process that will result in the rejection of racism and the unity of all people.

For me it's also not really about Left vs Right. I have voted for Conservatives in the past. I went on a roadtrip to the US just to see a Ron Paul speech during his 2012 campaign, and I got to shake his hand. I currently vote most often for the NDP. I vote for who I truly believe is sharing good ideas, and I would love to see Conservative candidates in our area be brave enough to reject bigotry and share good ideas but I see none. They really are focused on bigotry these days.
............and then you woke up from your dream.
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Nice to see Tom Dyas is leading in the Castanet poll. Different story on Reddit where the majority of people are planning to vote for Basran. Large amount of people on Reddit plan on voting for Silverado Socrates as well. One poster says downtown Kelowna has never been in better shape :135: and under Basran's term we have added a vibrant brewery district and awesome bike lanes. Yup those are the main issues for the Reddit crowd, breweries and bike lanes.

I'll be voting for Tom Dyas. Maybe he wont be any better than Colin Basran, but at least he will be different.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
kutan

Post by kutan »

lesliepaul wrote: Oct 5th, 2022, 8:03 pm ............and then you woke up from your dream.
I dream of Canada having a reconciled, multi-cultural society and I'm not waking up from that dream any time soon. We can make this happen by recognizing the effects of racist trauma/conditioning on generations of both BIPOC and white people. One gateway is to listen to their stories.
I found this recent recital of the poem "Monster" by Dennis Saddleman about the Kamloops residential school to be pretty evocative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2ysbp8708
There is an FB group named "Anti-Racism Kelowna" that I put together a while ago as a safe space to talk about racism / anti-racism if you want to help make this more than a dream.
Awaken to the depth of nonconceptual being,
where problems cannot exist. There is no past
or future. There is no here or there. This is the teaching of the masters.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bigtimeoperations wrote: Oct 5th, 2022, 8:12 pm Nice to see Tom Dyas is leading in the Castanet poll. Different story on Reddit where the majority of people are planning to vote for Basran. Large amount of people on Reddit plan on voting for Silverado Socrates as well. One poster says downtown Kelowna has never been in better shape :135: and under Basran's term we have added a vibrant brewery district and awesome bike lanes. Yup those are the main issues for the Reddit crowd, breweries and bike lanes.

I'll be voting for Tom Dyas. Maybe he wont be any better than Colin Basran, but at least he will be different.
x2 :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Sol316
Fledgling

Post by Sol316 »

Basran was mentioned a few times in today's Castanet letter:

Many more questions to ask
Oct 7, 2022
https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/3 ... ons-to-ask

18. From Mayor Basran's 2022 campaign flyer: "I will not make unrealistic promises to win votes." Over his eight years as mayor, are there any promises he made that are still unfulfilled?

Questions for candidates
Sep 20, 2022
https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/3 ... candidates
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Basran turned Kelowna into a giant real estate developer orgy. Everything else he does is just dealing with the aftermath of the mess he made in a poor fashion and making BS excuses for how the problems came about.

Our city overrun with druggies and homeless, traffic cluster @#$%, total unaffordability, businesses can't bring in employees because a one bedroom costs the same as Vancouver, neighbourhoods destroyed, virtue signaling 24/7.
lsj777
Fledgling

Post by lsj777 »

kutan wrote: Oct 5th, 2022, 10:07 pm
lesliepaul wrote: Oct 5th, 2022, 8:03 pm ............and then you woke up from your dream.
I dream of Canada having a reconciled, multi-cultural society and I'm not waking up from that dream any time soon. We can make this happen by recognizing the effects of racist trauma/conditioning on generations of both BIPOC and white people. One gateway is to listen to their stories.
I found this recent recital of the poem "Monster" by Dennis Saddleman about the Kamloops residential school to be pretty evocative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2ysbp8708
There is an FB group named "Anti-Racism Kelowna" that I put together a while ago as a safe space to talk about racism / anti-racism if you want to help make this more than a dream.
If you want to see that type of Canada, then all Canadians regardless of your skin color should read a new book that just came out called White Fear by Roland Martin and he addresses what we all need to do in order to see changes take place for future generations .
SheilaO
Board Meister

Post by SheilaO »

Basran has to go! He's too cozy with big business like the Mission Group, and he doesn't care about small business. Tom Dyas seems to have a good platform. As for city councillors, I would re-elect Ron Canaan, and consider Brian Rogers, and Noel Wentworth.
Re-electing Trudeau means higher costs of living, spiralling inflation, and soaring interest rates.
Lynn K
Fledgling

Post by Lynn K »

I won't vote for Brian Rogers.
He ran for the ppc party a year ago. He had no valid opinion of his own, and would only parrot the opinion of Maxime Bernier. He claims he's studied the Canadian constitution for 30 years, yet when he opens his mouth he demonstrates he knows little about it.
Imo he's just another anti vaxxer who wants to push the conspiracy theories and platform of the ppc party.
He's the last guy I want to see on council.
Thank god that bruce guy stopped running too.
Imagine a city council filled with people like that.
Alex05

Post by Alex05 »

I see Jillian Harris and her property developing partner Justin Potato have come out with fancy endorsements of Basran. Again two figures who gain to prosper under Basran and have done. Why would they want to see him go. Jillian Harris is a total hypocrite and her endorsement only gives me another reason not to vote for Basran. We need a change in this Town. Have you been downtown lately. It’s rotten and the Mayor and his councillors are partly to blame for it.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

Alex05 wrote: Oct 15th, 2022, 10:14 am I see Jillian Harris and her property developing partner Justin Potato have come out with fancy endorsements of Basran. Again two figures who gain to prosper under Basran and have done. Why would they want to see him go. Jillian Harris is a total hypocrite and her endorsement only gives me another reason not to vote for Basran. We need a change in this Town. Have you been downtown lately. It’s rotten and the Mayor and his councillors are partly to blame for it.
:up: one needs to just look at Vancouver under that Mayor and Council and what a horrible crime ridden, addiction mess it's become and Kelowna is mirroring the exact same thing. There's so much more than just constant Development in a city to keep it vibrant and healthy
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Alex05 wrote: Oct 15th, 2022, 10:14 am I see Jillian Harris and her property developing partner Justin Potato have come out with fancy endorsements of Basran. Again two figures who gain to prosper under Basran and have done. Why would they want to see him go. Jillian Harris is a total hypocrite and her endorsement only gives me another reason not to vote for Basran. We need a change in this Town. Have you been downtown lately. It’s rotten and the Mayor and his councillors are partly to blame for it.
Jillian Harris........."vote for Basran or I will pout and cry until I get my way"...........hubby Potato head........."whatever you say dear..........don't want to see you pout"

...........TWO :cuss: ing IDIOTS!

Return to “Civic Elections 2022”