Canadian Wildfire Season - 2023

Drip_Torch
Guru

Canadian Wildfire Season - 2023

Post by Drip_Torch »

Before this regional topic gets packed up and carted off to the archives in the basement, I thought I'd add an overview of the fire season that was 2023.

Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Frisk
Guru

Re: Canadian Wildfire Season - 2023

Post by Frisk »

Useful video, it really helps to illustrate the magnitude of the damage.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Frisk wrote: Nov 3rd, 2023, 6:22 pm Useful video, it really helps to illustrate the magnitude of the damage.
I thought so too. It shows how weather played a significant role and it wasn't any kind of institutional failure. Australia is now showing the same kind of fire weather and behaviour early in their season. Overall, that last frame seems to confirm the math and it looks like between 5.11% and 5.33% of Canada's forested areas burned in one season.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Alberta has contracted a BC helicopter to fight forest fires at night.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.7024619
Talon, the Richmond, B.C., company that Alberta Wildfire is contracting with, said it previously did a night firefighting trial with B.C. Wildfire in 2020 for two nights but it has not done any further operations with the province of B.C.
Been used in California for years now.

Time to pull up your socks BC....
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I heard some interesting news today regarding this year and past year's fire seasons, sitting with some loggers and supervisors.
Without going into detail, it boils down to the MOF setting up little empires and excluding knowledgeable and available firefighting sources other than their own.
Then when fires get out of control, who do they blame? Climate change.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Nov 17th, 2023, 6:47 pm I heard some interesting news today regarding this year and past year's fire seasons, sitting with some loggers and supervisors.
Without going into detail, it boils down to the MOF setting up little empires and excluding knowledgeable and available firefighting sources other than their own.
Then when fires get out of control, who do they blame? Climate change.

The severity of Canada's fire season this year is primarily the result of coast-to-coast drought and above average temperatures, and human-caused climate change almost certainly influenced those conditions at least to some degree. Human caused fires and forest management policies obviously played a role as well, but it's a role that is largely the same year-to-year and therefore doesn't explain, on its own, why this year was so particularly extreme.

Humans altering the chemical composition of earth's atmosphere will end up affecting its ecosystems, it's just a basic fact.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

While I don't support the campaign behind this one bit, I can't help but be a little shocked at some of the information coming forward.

7.jpg

Seven fire crew leaders with four or more years experience. 7 - In a Province of 5 million people, covering approximately 60 million hectares of forested land.

:200:

*smh* Great job on that succession planning Victoria! *slow clap*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Nov 20th, 2023, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

When the Ross Moore Lake fire started it was close to where a TMX crew was working. They called it in a said they had the equipment and crew to get on it immediately. The MOF refused that request as the TMX crew weren't trained.
Or so a contractor told me.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Nov 20th, 2023, 9:02 pm When the Ross Moore Lake fire started it was close to where a TMX crew was working. They called it in a said they had the equipment and crew to get on it immediately. The MOF refused that request as the TMX crew weren't trained.
If MOF allows a private and untrained crew to fight a fire, MOF accepts liability for injury to any of the crew. This is why they don't allow people to walk up and say "I wanna fight fire". They have to pass a fitness test and have some instruction first. Organized private crews do this before the start of the fire season and are on call during the summer. The liability issue is the reason that the RCMP doesn't clear out the bars and send unprepared people out to fires anymore like they did in the good old days.
"My back and knee hurt bad, real bad. It happened when I was fighting that fire. I need compensation. Lots of it."
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

bob vernon wrote: Nov 21st, 2023, 8:48 am
Babba_not_Gump wrote: Nov 20th, 2023, 9:02 pm When the Ross Moore Lake fire started it was close to where a TMX crew was working. They called it in a said they had the equipment and crew to get on it immediately. The MOF refused that request as the TMX crew weren't trained.
If MOF allows a private and untrained crew to fight a fire, MOF accepts liability for injury to any of the crew. This is why they don't allow people to walk up and say "I wanna fight fire". They have to pass a fitness test and have some instruction first. Organized private crews do this before the start of the fire season and are on call during the summer. The liability issue is the reason that the RCMP doesn't clear out the bars and send unprepared people out to fires anymore like they did in the good old days.
"My back and knee hurt bad, real bad. It happened when I was fighting that fire. I need compensation. Lots of it."
And meanwhile the fire continues to burn.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

This is another video that belongs in 2023 Wildfire Season wrap up before this topic get's put in the box and shuffled down to the basement for storage.

Tip of the hat to BC Wildfire for this one. They really did an outstanding job on this video.

I'll echo their advisory. This video deals with the huge cost to BCWS this year and I'm not talking about the dollars. If you make it to the end, please take a moment and think about what you personally could do to take some of the pressure off them next season.

---> https://firesmartbc.ca/ <---

Return to “Fire Watch 2023”