General Fire side chat, bring your s'more's and sticks

Frisk
Guru

Re: General Fire side chat, bring your s'more's and sticks

Post by Frisk »

Over 350,000 hectares of land has already burned in the province this year, which is more than all of 2003. Most of it is in the northern areas around Fort St John and Fort Nelson. The donnie creek fire north of Fort St john is 230,000 hectares which is one of the largest in BC's recorded history.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The ONLY upside to that story ^^^^ is that mercifully, we haven’t been hit with the smoke. Yet.

When I flew to BC in 1969 the province was green with forests seen from both sides of the aircraft. Mile upon mile of lush forest.

Often wonder just how much is left after logging,fires and pine beetle.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

The Weather Channel just posted this on facebook:
352237321_1326208841324917_743911730991912172_n.jpg
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Catsumi wrote: Jun 2nd, 2023, 7:09 pm The ONLY upside to that story ^^^^ is that mercifully, we haven’t been hit with the smoke. Yet.

When I flew to BC in 1969 the province was green with forests seen from both sides of the aircraft. Mile upon mile of lush forest.

Often wonder just how much is left after logging,fires and pine beetle.
here you go: http://nfdp.ccfm.org/en/data/fires.php
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The highway to Tofino around the Port Alberni area is suffering greatly with road closures and detours on to logging roads. The I Love Vancouver Island facebook site is riff with information about the conditions.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Satellite image of the Donnie creek fire from yesterday. It's over 300,000 hectares and spans nearly 120 kilometers across.

Satellite_June8th .jpg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote: Jun 7th, 2023, 6:23 pm The highway to Tofino around the Port Alberni area is suffering greatly with road closures and detours on to logging roads. The I Love Vancouver Island facebook site is riff with information about the conditions.
Screenshot_20230608-220644-222.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Canada is burning up from East coast to west coast.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Donnie creek fire is 465,000 hectares, it's nearing the size of the 2017 plateau fire, the largest on record in BC.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

XT225 wrote: Apr 30th, 2023, 4:21 pm As I see it, a lot of these fires are started from so-called "Controlled burning" that gets of out control when winds come up. Too often the people doing these burns don't have the necessary gear on hand (ie: water source and pumps/hoses, etc) to stop a fire if it gets going. In the lower valleys, usually April 15 is the cut off date for controlled burning but on non fire-protected areas, Native lands or higher altitude areas it seems that it can go well into May. Maybe time to stop this and ONLY do burning in the winter time. What is happening now is not working.
That's incorrect. There are no controlled burns that have escalated into these infernos we are dealing with today.

Controlled burns are the number one defense we have at our disposal to prevent catastrophic fires that raze forests and burn people's homes.

Fire suppression has, in fact, caused these mega-fires that we're dealing with right now. We've taken away nature's ability to manage forest fuels and cleanse herself of the debris (cones, needles, branches, windthrow, standing dead, thick ingrowth) that result in massive fires.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Just curious, are there really more forest fires than a few decades ago, or has the reporting of these become hyper-reporting to perpetuate modern hyper-news?

I recall many big forest fires in 60’s, with smoke drifting all the way to Europe from Canada. In those days we had two black & white TV channels and two AM radio stations, and forest fires hardly made the news.

Also, population has expanded into forest interface areas and there are nominally more human caused events. Maybe global warming plays a part too, but don’t know for certain.
Nowadays worried young people might think the world has drastically changed, but much of the change is modern hyper-media.
:swear:
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Central part of the province is getting hit again this year. This is a satellite image from yesterday afternoon. I'm surprised there's even anything left there after 2017/18.

SatelliteJuly11th.png
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Hopefully this smoke doesn't drift south towards us. The number of fires is staggering

BCsatellite.jpg
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Wow! It looks like it's going to drift south though.

https://firesmoke.ca/forecasts/current/ ... rTXXRU4NaI
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

I live in Vanderhoof and I've been watching the evac alert creep closer to the town. Saik'uz is definitely under an evac alert (I work with people from there) and the smoke up here is honestly brutal. :cuss: :swear:

Return to “Fire Watch”