Kelowna farmer says extensive flooding of Mission Creek becoming too common

ferri
Forum Administrator

Kelowna farmer says extensive flooding of Mission Creek becoming too common

Post by ferri »

It's warming up and there is still a lot of snow in the mountains. This weekend could get interesting.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... mon#423259
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Kelowna farmer says extensive flooding of Mission Creek becoming too common

Post by Glacier »

2018 and 2022 were the worst on record for flooding on Mission Creek. But on the upside, 2019, 2015, and 2021 had the least amount of flooding on record.
flowrate2.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Lake level is lowest I've seen in recent years so hopefully the flooding will be at a manageable level.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Fancy wrote: Apr 26th, 2023, 10:42 am Lake level is lowest I've seen in recent years so hopefully the flooding will be at a manageable level.
The last time the lake was lower than this year 2004. All time record low was set in 1974.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I’m basing it on where our boat sits at the dock. Big difference from last year and it doesn’t take much to make a difference and a day can make a difference as well.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Post by Hornswoggle »

I foresee major flood damage this year. Just south of East kelowna Road is a huge cliff eroding. Its pretty cool
Each day more rocks fall and when Mission Creek, looks so little now gets flowing, its going to carve into that
like a hot knife threw butter. That will divert the creek down Hollywood road south and wipe out 100 homes.
There is no flood protection unless a bmx park is considered that.
The land is bone dry down deep and fragile. Its loose.
City of Kelowna may want to look at that. The entire property above could collapse into Mission creek
Look at Merritt and Princeton.
Even a landslide up joe rich way could cause a jam and send a torrent down that channel and wipe out a lot more than street.
swamp1967

Post by swamp1967 »

Hornswoggle wrote: Apr 26th, 2023, 8:58 pm I foresee major flood damage this year. Just south of East kelowna Road is a huge cliff eroding. Its pretty cool
Each day more rocks fall and when Mission Creek, looks so little now gets flowing, its going to carve into that
like a hot knife threw butter. That will divert the creek down Hollywood road south and wipe out 100 homes.
There is no flood protection unless a bmx park is considered that.
The land is bone dry down deep and fragile. Its loose.
City of Kelowna may want to look at that. The entire property above could collapse into Mission creek
Look at Merritt and Princeton.
Even a landslide up joe rich way could cause a jam and send a torrent down that channel and wipe out a lot more than street.
That wall i believe collapsed before in 1948 and forced mission creek to jump the banks and flood the hollywood Road/Springfield area and down towards where Costco is. I believe 1948 copy of the Daily Courier had the story at that time and City of Kelowna had to dispatch crews to fix the unfolding emergency, while i think that was outside city limits at the time. That wall will collapse, just a mater of when.

Return to “Flood Watch 2023”