Healing a Holiday Hangover

A potpourri of off-topics.
BriTer
Guru

Healing a Holiday Hangover

Post by BriTer »

What's your cure?
Anyone for a good cup of tea? :)

It's that time again, where we celebrate the new year by suffering through a hangover from the old.

The predictable, yet ever-painful, process of recovery so many endure on New Year's Day has attracted a litany of remedies from the common to the queer. Author Nicholas Pashley, who penned "Notes on a Beermat: Drinking and Why It's Necessary," shared some of his favourites with the CBC on Tuesday.

The Symptoms

These don't change much from year to year: pounding head, churning stomach and a mouth that is very, very dry. Paraphrasing Kingsley Amis from his first novel, Lucky Jim, Pashley described the sensation as: "His mouth had been used as a latrine by some small creature of the night, and then, a mausoleum." In short: unpleasant.

Most of the symptoms are due to dehydration, as it is said that for every pint consumed, a pint and a third of water is lost. Headaches result from swollen blood vessels that can be soothed by the caffeine in coffee or tea, but be warned — caffeine is also a diuretic that can cause further dehydration.

The Solutions

Pashley categorized the cures to holiday hangovers into two groups: the Protestant and the Catholic approaches.

The latter, he said, is slightly more humane, providing suggestions on how to heal from a hangover while the former posits that bad behaviour (read: drinking too much) be punished by its attending consequences. Here, cures are meant to make the sufferer feel worse because they deserve it. Doses of chilled sauerkraut and diving into ice-cold water, also known as the Canadian tradition of the polar bear swim, fall into this category.

"I don't really see the need for that, but of course, we've been having hangovers for 10,000 years so different people have found different responses," Pashley said.

Indeed, ancient Greeks were said to have worn a crown of parsley on their heads to ward off hangovers, while one medieval hangover cure combined raw eels and bitter almonds. "Wild West" cowboys made a tea of dried rabbit turds, Pashley said.

One of the most popular remedies is the morning-after Bloody Mary, which provides a shot of alcohol along with the vitamins and minerals found in tomato and celery. The trick, also known as hair of the dog, helps jog your brain back to a few hours earlier when it was high, and not hung, on alcohol.

And then, Pashley said, there's sex.

"Ideally what you want to do is get back to bed. In fact, some people swear by sex as a hangover cure … [but] for a lot of people, finding somebody who would be willing to have sex with you the following morning, who's going to do that?"

http://www.cbc.ca/story/health/national ... cures.html
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:200: i can make you a cup of tea, let me know how it is honey!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

ferri wrote::200: i can make you a cup of tea, let me know how it is honey!

I'M not the one that needs it! HONEY! :-X
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

me either. now! so just shup.
― Albert Einstein
hotchip99
Lord of the Board

Post by hotchip99 »

ferri wrote:me either. now! so just shup.

Ummm...ferri?.. :smt075
I think he's implying the last solution on the list...
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

oh! well that's different!!! :D
― Albert Einstein
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've not looked at the website provided (yet) but I've found shantys a wonderful cureall (beer and ginger ale) or a clameye - and put a little music on OR put your head under the covers and feel sorry for yourself. I prefer the party mode and going for a short walk in the bitter cold with an energetic dog!!
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Re: Healing a Holiday Hangover

Post by Baba O'Riley »

BriTer wrote:What's your cure?

One of the most popular remedies is the morning-after Bloody Mary, which provides a shot of alcohol along with the vitamins and minerals found in tomato and celery. The trick, also known as hair of the dog, helps jog your brain back to a few hours earlier when it was high, and not hung, on alcohol.

McDonalds - 1/4lb burger, large cola and loadsa fries!! =P~
All those carbs get my sugar levels back - ready for a 'hair of the dog' that bit me!! :130:

:smt078
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Only sure fire cure I know is DON'T DRINK. :12077:
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

LoneWolf wrote:Only sure fire cure I know is DON'T DRINK. :12077:

A life deprived...!! :smt107

hic... :130:
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

I usually just drink more... :P
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

When I did drink :140: I'd use one of the Seltzers and maybe a big feed of bacon and slimey eggs :) Or just suffer through it.
trapp
Übergod

Post by trapp »

I found that cure over 20 years ago now and swear by it :smt023

We used to pick up fire crews from one of the native communities in the Cariboo after "Stampede" weekend. Some were a bit hung over from the weekend celebrations, not unlike our traditional New Years Eve tradition. We always stopped the bus at the nearby store. Those suffering the dreaded "too much to drink" cleared the shelf of canned clams from which they drank the juice. A couple cans of clam juice, a nap on the bus, and they were ready for work when we arrived at our destination.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts."
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

trapp wrote:

I found that cure over 20 years ago now and swear by it :smt023

We used to pick up fire crews from one of the native communities in the Cariboo after "Stampede" weekend. Some were a bit hung over from the weekend celebrations, not unlike our traditional New Years Eve tradition. We always stopped the bus at the nearby store. Those suffering the dreaded "too much to drink" cleared the shelf of canned clams from which they drank the juice. A couple cans of clam juice, a nap on the bus, and they were ready for work when we arrived at our destination.

The problem I had to get to the point of eating anythig was just the thought of throwing anything at all on top of what was there. It worked though. After barfing at the thought of eating. blech
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

My step mom swore by this cure:

1C milk
1 tbsp paprika
1 egg (raw)
1 tbsp coffee grounds

I never had the guts to try it (the thought of it made my stomach turn when I wasn't even hung over!), but she said it cured hang overs, the flu, a cold, etc etc etc.

Return to “Grab Bag”