Nova Scotia & Coffee Canuck?

A potpourri of off-topics.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Re: Nova Scotia & Coffee Canuck?

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:I miss thunderstorms, Kelowna doesn't get very many, and I love em!
2 Acres of land, a nice garden and big garage would suit me fine.
But, I'd have to live close enough to a big city that groceries wouldn't be a problem.
As well, a good reputable Hardware store is also a must.

And, the lack of traffic, noisy cars and druggies would be the best part.
I could have my sanity back!

We got quite a few rip snorting thunderstorms this past summer. They were incredible! There is plenty of affordable homes on acreage here. Funny thing about garages, or should I say lack of. So many homes don't have garages here. It was explained to me that because the Scots first settled the area, they of course are known for being 'thrifty', felt it was a waste of money to build garages. That is apparently why most older homes don't have them. Even with many new homes, I've noticed many still choose not to put on a garage. There are two main hardware stores here, Central and Kent. I think in the Halifax and Dartmouth area there is Home Depot and Rona.

As for your issue with noisy vehicles, that is what I love about this area. Peace and quiet. Even with the young kids, I haven't notices those really noisy mufflers. I don't know, but I'm thinking that because you have to get your vehicle inspected yearly, they wont pass it with those big mufflers. :smt102

~D
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

Sorry for asking, but are you working anywhere CC?
How many years were you here in Kelowna, and how big is your family?
Do you have relatives near where you live?
How's the home property taxes there?
What does a typical winter months heating cost amount to?
What town or City are you in? Whats the Population?
Have you found a nicer, better location to want to live at?
Are there Beaches close to your house, or 15 Minutes away, and what are they like?
What is the average age of people in your area, that you have seen or have gotten to know?
Do they have retirement Lodges there for those who can't live on their own?
Hows the Hospitals, Medical and Dental Offices there?
Whats the Biggest things in your Local news?

Sorry for being a pest, but I think its a great learning experience! :lol:
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:Sorry for asking, but are you working anywhere CC? I'm not working yet as I'm on an extended vacation. I'm in health care, so not too worried about finding a job.

How many years were you here in Kelowna, and how big is your family? I grew up in Kelowna and lived there for 35 very long years.

Do you have relatives near where you live? Not a one, and I like it that way! :lol:

How's the home property taxes there? They differ of course depending on what town you live in. The current residential tax rate for my town is $1.72 per $100 of assessed value. If you live in a rural area, and that can be just 10 minutes outside of town, taxes are cheap, cheap, cheap. Here is a tax rate guide, though it's not current, but will give you an idea. Taxes in my town actually went down. http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:FWS ... cd=1&gl=ca

What does a typical winter months heating cost amount to? That is difficult to answer as I wont really know till Sept. I moved into this home the end of Sept 07 and have spent roughly $1100 on oil and $550 on electricity, so not too bad.

What town or City are you in? Whats the Population? I live in the town of New Glasgow, population around 9400, which is in Pictou County, population around 47000. http://www.newglasgow.ca/

Have you found a nicer, better location to want to live at? No matter where you go in this Province, there is stunning beauty all around you, with these wonderful little quaint towns. I really like my neighbourhood and the town I live in. It's close to the New Brunswick border, close to the ferry or bridge to PEI, 90 min from Halifax and an hour from Cape Breton Island. If I won the lottery (and I will :123: ), I would buy a large rural property overlooking the ocean. The one place I do not want to live in or near is Halifax or Dartmouth, due to the crime, and busy city life. Also Digby and Yarmouth and Cape Breton Island, as it's too isolated for me, and CBI seems to get more intense storms.

Are there Beaches close to your house, or 15 Minutes away, and what are they like? I'm 10 min away from the ocean and 15 min away from an awesome beach that is called 'The Merb', by locals. Check it out. http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/themerb.htm

What is the average age of people in your area, that you have seen or have gotten to know? Hmmm, that I'm not sure about. There seems to be a good mix of young families, middle age and older folks. I wouldn't say there are a lot of young professionals, they would be mostly in Halifax and Dartmouth.

Do they have retirement Lodges there for those who can't live on their own?
Hows the Hospitals, Medical and Dental Offices there? We have a large hospital, one walk in clinic, assorted Physicians and Dentists, quite a few nursing homes and assisted living homes. I will say that there is a shortage of Doctors and the ones here are not taking any new patients. I realized I would be without a family Doctor for a while after moving here. If I do need a Doctor, I'll just go to the walk-in. Same issue is in Kelowna, new residents face not finding a Doctor for quite a while.

Whats the Biggest things in your Local news? Not a lot..lol. The latest news bit is an RCMP officer is going to be charged with shoplifting. Oh, hockey night in Canada was broadcast from an outdoor rink here a few wks ago, that was pretty cool. Home fires, and the usual petty crimes.

Sorry for being a pest, but I think its a great learning experience! :lol:Not a problem. Hopefully you check out the links I provided as they will give you a lot of good information. I will also say that through the summer, there is always some sort of festival going on, often times overlapping. Some people were actually complaining there were too many festivals...lol.
Last edited by CoffeeCanuck on Feb 22nd, 2008, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Struts 'N' Stuff Auto wrote:
And, the lack of traffic, noisy cars and druggies would be the best part.
I could have my sanity back!

Noooo! A sane Struts? Is it possible? :12077:
This signature may be a forgery.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Here is another good link to check out. This should keep you busy for a while. :lol:

http://www.explorenovascotia.com/

~D :124:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Hi Coffee - try checking out:
Magnetic Hill where cars go uphill by themselves
http://www.magnetichill.com/english.htm
Tidal bore - the wall of water coming down the river is amazing
http://www.bayoffundy.com/fiftyreasons.aspx
Dulse - mmmm mmmm good!
http://www.grandmanannb.com/dulse.htm
So glad to hear you are enjoying it there!
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Fancy wrote:Hi Coffee - try checking out:
Dulse - mmmm mmmm good!

Oh Fancy! Have you not found out the myth of Magnetic Hill yet? :12077:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_Hill_%28Canada%29

Nonetheless I hear it's really cool, and despite knowing the background, I will definitely be checking it out when I go east. Perhaps visit Coffee and Struts while I'm there!
This signature may be a forgery.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Oh I know the myth but when you're a kid and your parents are just as excited as the children, going backwards "up" that hill was awesome. There were animals there too but I just felt sorry for them.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

dandynick5 wrote:
Fancy wrote:Hi Coffee - try checking out:
Dulse - mmmm mmmm good!

Oh Fancy! Have you not found out the myth of Magnetic Hill yet? :12077:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_Hill_%28Canada%29

Nonetheless I hear it's really cool, and despite knowing the background, I will definitely be checking it out when I go east. Perhaps visit Coffee and Struts while I'm there!

Fancy, cool links, thanks! I've never heard of that magnetic hill. Sounds fascinating, so I'll have to check it out, maybe when someone comes to visit. My first visit out to NS, last April, was to the Annapolis Valley. We stayed in a wonderful B&B in Wolfville and saw the high tides. It was both awesome and a let down. I was let down basically because it's like a huge mud pit, not what I was expecting, and I unfortunately did not have the time to fully explore the area's beaches. I just loved Wolfville though, what a charming little town. I saw on tv the other morning a chef from the Valley preparing a scallop dish with that seaweed. Looked interesting at least..lol.

Careful dandy, if you come visit, you may not want to leave. After I first visited, I was itching to pack up my house in Kelowna and get back to NS.

What a wonderful Province! :smt007

~D
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Here's a few properties with acreage and ocean views or frontage on the south shore. I cant even imagine what they would go for in BC.

http://www.novascotiahomesandland.com/page2c.htm

~D
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Love this thread! I was born in North Sydney, Nova Scotia. At that time a small town right on the ocean on Cape Breton Island. I beleive the population was around 8000 in the late 60's, I can only imagine what it is now.
I left there when I was 13 years old but remember it so well and would LOVE to go back for a visit. Even though I was young when we left, I always claim I can spot a maritimer a mile away. Theres just something about them. They are indeed one of a kind and the most friendly people you will meet. They have a very laid back lifestlye.
My parents didn't like living in such a small place raising kids where everybody knew everybody else's business. I think I could live back there again and be very content.
I loved living on the ocean, and I remember I could get all the lobster I wanted then, but didn't like it as a kid!
And blizzards, oh I loved them! If Kelowna ever got near the snow storms I remember back there, I think they would have a snow day or two lol
Do they still have grade 13 there? If I remember correctly, their schooling was more advanced. You came out of grade 1 knowing how to divide and multiply. In 1973 we moved from NS to BC when I was entering high school, grade 8 was like a repeat of grade 7. Ohhhh how I would love to go back & visit!!!
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Hey Binky, wow, I didn't know you were from here, how cool. Maritimers are definitely down to earth and laid back people, and you are right, there is just something about them. I hear of so many Maritimers that left to go out west as young people, and once they start their family, they move back just because of the quality of life here.

It was an incredible day here today. +6, sunny and clear blue sky's, so my son and I headed down to the beach with the dogs. The second we got there I kicked myself as I forgot my camera and there were icebergs out in the ocean. I think I'll head back tomorrow if it's nice and snap a few pics.

Have you never returned to visit?

~D

Edit to ad~ I don't think they have grade 13 anymore, not in my area anyhow. As for snowstorms, well they are always neat and cool when you are young. :lol: We've had a number of storms so far, but nothing as bad as I thought it would be (keeping fingers crossed). From what I can tell, Cape Breton Island and New Brunswick get hit the hardest with storms and snow accumulation. Man I'm glad I'm not in Northern New Brunswick. Our last storm dumped 45 cm of snow on them. :137: The most we've had so far is 18 cm. I certainly am enjoying all the different weather systems. Well I'll correct myself, all the systems other than freezing rain. Living in Kelowna, in the valley you are very protected and just don't get the ever changing weather.

~D
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I didn't realize that you just recently moved there, but then again I don't follow all the posts so I often miss out LOL

I have not had the opportunity to go back, but I sure would love to!

I swear if you sat at me at a table with 20 people and only one was from the maritimes, I could pick them out! Theres just something about them, and not just the accent lol
You may have mentioned already but had you been to NS before moving there? I know theres another couple in the forum that want to move there, sight unseen!!

I was young when we moved but I still remember the cabot trail and have pictures. I can't believe I lived there all those years and never made it to Newfoundland or PEI. I would now LOVE to go to those 2 remaining provinces I have not been to. I love the "east coast" look, even in Maine, USA, its just so different and I guess "quaint" is the word I would use. I still have relatives there although nobody real close or I would have been back by now! It's just like a whole new way of living, without being able to put my finger on it, you just have to experience it yourself to know I guess.

If ya get some cool pics put them in the gallery!! :)
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Quaint is a word I use often to describe the wonderful towns throughout the Province. It's funny, but I feel as if this is exactly where I am meant to be and why the heck did it take me so long to get here! I have this true sense of 'home', and that is something I never experienced in Kelowna, in all the years I lived there. My dad asked me the other day if I missed BC, and without hesitation I said..."no way, this is my home and I consider myself to be a proud Nova Scotian." Others may still view me as an outsider (dont know), but that is how strongly I feel about this place.

Do you remember the brilliant fall colours? The incredibly deep crimson reds, golds, tangerines? How about the pesky but cute Blue jays?

I visited Nova Scotia twice before moving here. The first time was for a week last April and we went to the Annapolis Valley where I thought I might want to live. Then I came back again in May to the area I'm in now and made the decision this is where I want to be. I went home and put my home up for sale within a week and it sold in two days, and we were out here permanently the next month, June.

You really do need to come back and visit. I keep telling people though. Be prepared to want to stay!

I'm going to take some pics of the small icebergs in the ocean tomorrow and will definitely post them.

~D
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Joggins Fossil Cliffs - loved going there
Lobster rolls - nothing quite like them
Blueberries - huge, delicious, delectable

If you eat the dulse right off the rocks (tide has to be way out) don't forget to pick out the little shells :)

looking forward to seeing your pics!!

Return to “Grab Bag”