Horse poop on the Greenway

A potpourri of off-topics.

Should horse owners be treated the same as dog owners when it comes to picking up after their pet?

Yes, of course
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 37

CBUBBLES

Horse poop on the Greenway

Post by CBUBBLES »

Ok, so I go for a walk with my dog on the once beautiful Greenway along side Mission Creek. There are signs and baggies all over reminding dog owners to pick up after their pet. Yet on my travels I come across a very large amount of horse poop. So, why on God's green earth is it ok for horse owners to let there "pets" leave quite a bit larger of a mess and not have to pick it up? Where are the signs and shovels for them? I have to say that I always pick up after my dog but I would rather see a few dog poops than huge horse ones!!!! Dog owners keep getting a bad rep about what their dogs leave behind but to my knowledge horses and geese are far more of a problem than many are willing to admit. You can't pick on one thing when there are far more others to blame. This issue needs to be resolved or LEAVE DOG OWNERS ALONE!!!!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Horse poop on the Greenway

Post by Bsuds »

The argument is that horse poop is more biodegradable than dog poop, but I have seen it on the sidewalk near the Greenway at Gordon drive. It sits there for quite awhile till it disappears!
That is not fair to pedestrians!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
CBUBBLES

Post by CBUBBLES »

I can understand that, but how long will it sit there before it begins to break down? Dog poop will eventually break down to.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Horse poop is more useful as fertilizer than dog poop plus I'm having a little trouble visualizing someone riding along with a five gallon bucket swinging from the saddle just in case Trigger has a bowel movement. :dyinglaughing:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

The poop on poop:
http://www.californiastatehorsemen.com/ ... O-poop.htm
Dogs eat just about anything and everything, horses do not.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
CBUBBLES

Post by CBUBBLES »

It still doesn't look or smell great when you are taking kids to the Greenway. It's really gross!!!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

:ohmygod: I'm just waiting for someone to realize that cows poop out in the open too and have them suggest that someone should run around behind them with a scoop.

Folks round these parts really do need to get their priorities sorted.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

I think that just getting it off the main trail would even help. Carrying it home may not be practical, but a pile of horse *bleep* in the middle of a 4 foot wide bridge is not the answer either.
Model citizen......zero discipline.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

You can ask the horse if it's responsible for the mess, but the answer's always nay.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

May as well take all horses off all parades - really, it's just recycled grass isn't it?
harvgar
Board Meister

Post by harvgar »

Look at all the "free" fertilizer just waiting for the right garden to go in...
Organic, natural and possibly one of the easiest to transport!!! :sunshine:
Black Onyx

Post by Black Onyx »

:nukeem: OMG, ok people enough with the stupid jokes, this is a serious issue and obviously the ones that are all for the *bleep* on the Greenway have horses that leave their *bleep* on the Greenway all the time. Just because you do it doesn't make it right so if you think it is nothing but grass then get off your horse and kick the *bleep* to the side so the rest of us can take a nice walk without weeving our way through the horse *bleep*!!!!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

It would be easier to kick dog poop out of the way. At least what the horse leaves behind you can see and walk around.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Black Onyx wrote::nukeem: OMG, ok people enough with the stupid jokes, this is a serious issue and obviously the ones that are all for the oh my on the Greenway have horses that leave their oh my on the Greenway all the time. Just because you do it doesn't make it right so if you think it is nothing but grass then get off your horse and kick the oh my to the side so the rest of us can take a nice walk without weeving our way through the horse oh my!!!!!

:offtopic:

This thread is about horse poop. It is not about horse oh my.
CameraShy

Post by CameraShy »

HaHa, I LOVE some of the comebacks...my viewpoint is that in life we all have to make sacrifices in all different areas. It's very easy for a dog owner to pick up after the dog, but not so for horse owners. Does that mean that they have to be banned to wilderness areas? I don't think so. We should ALL do our part in understanding that we have to be flexible in some areas, just because we horse owners don't (or whatever) pick up after our droppings doesn't mean that we have the world in our pockets, we have to do our sacrificing in other areas, such as allowing our neighbor with the loud barking dog a little room to breathe and not calling the bylaw officer the minute this dog barks over the alloted time. I don't see horses in back yards. I guess we just need to all get along a little better and worry about the BIG stuff like starvation, single parents who are struggling, kittens and puppies being abused, REAL polution, etc...

Return to “Grab Bag”