Horse poop on the Greenway

A potpourri of off-topics.

Should horse owners be treated the same as dog owners when it comes to picking up after their pet?

Yes, of course
49%
No
51%

Total votes: 37

onestop67
Guru

Re: Horse poop on the Greenway

Post by onestop67 »

I believe the Greenway was built by humans with it's main purpose being a place for humans to walk, jog and walk rover. And as long as rover's owner picks up after rover adds an obstacle for all the other humans that are trying to enjoy it. So yeah, horse owners should have to pick up or buy their horse a diaper. As a compromise maybe the parks people could add a few more places to dispose of the recycled animal food so the whiny argument about having to carry a big bag of smelly horse crap around is no longer an issue.
CameraShy

Post by CameraShy »

Another thing I thought of, is the amount of dog friendly areas there are that the government pays for, what about getting some of that cash to help build some horse friendly areas?? When you look at what we actually have to ride on that is horse FRIENDLY, it's a darn sight less than "Rover"s areas. People have a right to have dogs as much as people have a right to have horses, maybe the gov't should step up to the plate and offer such things. I have horses AND dogs, so I'm happy for either!! I think more people would have horses and enjoy the outdoors if there was more places for them to ride, and maybe they would not have to polute the air as much driving their polution mobiles 50 miles out just to go see their horses. So many ways to look at just one thing eh?
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

onestop67 wrote:I believe the Greenway was built by humans with it's main purpose being a place for humans to walk, jog and walk rover. And as long as rover's owner picks up after rover adds an obstacle for all the other humans that are trying to enjoy it. So yeah, horse owners should have to pick up or buy their horse a diaper. As a compromise maybe the parks people could add a few more places to dispose of the recycled animal food so the whiny argument about having to carry a big bag of smelly horse crap around is no longer an issue.

Having used the Greenway quite regularly myself the first thing that pops into my mind is who was there first humans walking Rover or could it maybe have been horses and riders given the number of ranches that border it as well as the reservation?

Maybe as a compromise they could paint colored lines on the greenway to delineate the designated portion for dogs, horses, bicycles, pedestrians, joggers, motorized scooters, and maintenance staff then maybe everyone would be happy. :sillygrin:

Oh and heaven forbid let's not forget cats and rabbits.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

LoneWolf wrote:
onestop67 wrote:I believe the Greenway was built by humans with it's main purpose being a place for humans to walk, jog and walk rover. And as long as rover's owner picks up after rover adds an obstacle for all the other humans that are trying to enjoy it. So yeah, horse owners should have to pick up or buy their horse a diaper. As a compromise maybe the parks people could add a few more places to dispose of the recycled animal food so the whiny argument about having to carry a big bag of smelly horse crap around is no longer an issue.

Having used the Greenway quite regularly myself the first thing that pops into my mind is who was there first humans walking Rover or could it maybe have been horses and riders given the number of ranches that border it as well as the reservation?

Maybe as a compromise they could paint colored lines on the greenway to delineate the designated portion for dogs, horses, bicycles, pedestrians, joggers, motorized scooters, and maintenance staff then maybe everyone would be happy. :sillygrin:

Oh and heaven forbid let's not forget cats and rabbits.

And it is now a park, built with taxpayer money so I'm not getting the stupid comparisons to "the early days" LoneWolf. This is a rare topic where I am finding little logic in your posts. Cows are relative? Wild animals?

The whole valley, hell, the whole planet was used differently than it is now :136:

It is a park, it has rules to try and ensure the fairest enjoyment for the majority of people. I personally think horse and riders should be allowed, but at least have a few suggestions to make it have less impact on those who don't want them there at all.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I see your point but mine is that as happens quite regularly in other circumstances "grandfathering" has it's place and though I'm obviously not in agreement with you here I think this is one of them if for no other reason than the simple fact that cleaning up after a horse comes off as ridiculous.

I used the variety of creatures to demonstrate how next to impossible it is to please everyone and thank goodness parks personnel seem to realize that even if others don't.

I mean come on now seriously how feasible to you think it is for a rider to be forced to carry a shovel and find a place to hold a ten pound bag of fertilizer?

I could see the question being whether to allow equestrian use of the greenway or not but picking up after a horse is over the top.

Designating a specific side of the trail for equestrians and pedestrians I could see.
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

As some one that used to ride on the greenway, on a horse that quite frankly if I got off of, I would not be able to get back on without a stepladder. So me getting off when he pooped to push it over in the brush is not feasable. And I think most people walking would like to be able to see the poop to avoid it, as opposed to having it in the brush where you can't see it.
Horse poop tends to break down in a matter of days, either from rain or heat, the smell disapates in a matter of days as well.
On the occassion I have ridden on the public road ways downtown, if my horse let a pile go, after our ride I would go back to the place he pooped and I'd scoop it into a plastic bag or box and dispose of it on my lawn at home... Great fertalizer.

Also just to clear up something, the Back Country Horsemen, as well as many other equine clubs added considerably to the development of Mission Creek Greenway. It started off as a horse trail, that was then developed into a trail for all people to enjoy.

I find it somewhat comical, that again only in Kelowna does something like this come up. If you go to the coast, where many parks in the lower mainland are shared, horse, pedestrian, bikers and dog walkers, and I asked my horsey friends down there if anyone complains about horse poop. There answer is never - in fact many people go on their walkways and collect the horse poop for their gardens.

I'm starting to think under the Welcome to Kelowna sign we should have a subtitle that says Home of NIMBYS and Cronic complainers.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Snickerdoodle wrote:
Also just to clear up something, the Back Country Horsemen, as well as many other equine clubs added considerably to the development of Mission Creek Greenway. It started off as a horse trail, that was then developed into a trail for all people to enjoy.

I find it somewhat comical, that again only in Kelowna does something like this come up. If you go to the coast, where many parks in the lower mainland are shared, horse, pedestrian, bikers and dog walkers, and I asked my horsey friends down there if anyone complains about horse poop. There answer is never - in fact many people go on their walkways and collect the horse poop for their gardens.

I'm starting to think under the Welcome to Kelowna sign we should have a subtitle that says Home of NIMBYS and Cronic complainers.

Thanks Snickerdoodle that confirms my suspicion that the horses were there long before the whiners as I'd thought that but had no collaboration.

When you factor in that the equestrians also coughed up for the trail development they have every right to use it if not more so than the newer arrivals and without having to adhere to ridiculous rules that are simply not feasible.

No doubt someone will come by to suggest you should strap that ladder to your horse if that's what it takes. :127:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Portable ladder for mounting a horse Document Type and Number:United States Patent 7051497
Abstract:A portable ladder is presented for assisting a rider to mount a horse. The portable ladder is flexible and attaches to the saddle. The saddle need not be specially adapted to receive the portable ladder. The ladder may also be folded up for carrying or stowing while riding.
:dyinglaughing:
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fancy wrote:
Portable ladder for mounting a horse Document Type and Number:United States Patent 7051497
Abstract:A portable ladder is presented for assisting a rider to mount a horse. The portable ladder is flexible and attaches to the saddle. The saddle need not be specially adapted to receive the portable ladder. The ladder may also be folded up for carrying or stowing while riding.
:dyinglaughing:

:coffeecanuck: :dyinglaughing: Who'da thunk it?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

IF I lived close to the "greenway" that horses traveled along while walking my dog, I would take one small garbage bag for my dog's 'indiscretions' and one "LARGE bag" to collect the horses' indiscretions. I would certainly pick up horse poop and take it home for my garden!! Horse manure tea makes my plants happy!! *bleep*! Horses eat nothing but vegetable matter... perfect fertilizer!!
Chill
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

there seems to be a lot of "fertilizer" on this thread too!
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

And I've been able to smell it for a matter of days.

Snickerdoodle wrote:Horse poop tends to break down in a matter of days, either from rain or heat, the smell disapates in a matter of days as well.

I think the natives were here before the horse and riders LoneWolf mentioned. I guess we better all get back to the Eastern hemisphere where we came from lmao.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

onestop67 wrote:I think the natives were here before the horse and riders LoneWolf mentioned. I guess we better all get back to the Eastern hemisphere where we came from lmao.

I somehow suspect you know exactly what point I was attempting to make and are simply continuing for amusement.

Look at your own statement above. The natives were indeed here first and do we see them complaining about horse poop? No we don't. That in itself should teach you something.

Though the same lesson can be applied in various areas to me it's simply about people of differing tastes and desires learning to get along with perhaps a bit of courtesy extended toward those who came before.

This whole town has far too many Johnny come lately types who waltz in here and start making demands expecting everyone to kowtow which I happen to think is whacked.

I stated earlier that I used the greenway a lot and how many times did I step in horse poop? Let me think. Oh yeah................never!

Getting off of a horse to pick up it's droppings is a ridiculous expectation. End of story.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

LoneWolf wrote:Look at your own statement above. The natives were indeed here first and do we see them complaining about horse poop? No we don't. That in itself should teach you something.

Though the same lesson can be applied in various areas to me it's simply about people of differing tastes and desires learning to get along with perhaps a bit of courtesy extended toward those who came before.

This whole town has far too many Johnny come lately types who waltz in here and start making demands expecting everyone to kowtow which I happen to think is whacked.

I stated earlier that I used the greenway a lot and how many times did I step in horse poop? Let me think. Oh yeah................never!

Getting off of a horse to pick up it's droppings is a ridiculous expectation. End of story.

Why is it the end of story??? Cause you say so??? lol, yeah okay.

First off, how do you know that I'm not a native?

Secondly, why can't that same courtesy be extended to the majority of people that use the greenway? Damn democracies anyway!

Thirdly, how long you lived here LoneWolf? I lived there for 40 years, born and raised. To me it seems like you're the one who thinks his horse poop doesn't stink!

Lastly, when did I say anything about you stepping in it? Maybe the smell bugs others, maybe others have stepped in it, maybe there are other reasons.

No wait, now lastly...End of story lmao!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

The epitome of the Okanagan Valley whiner is what you're coming off as onestop and that's about it.

In fact I'm sure my $hit does stink but unlike you I have learned to live and let live.

Don't seem to have much left but selectively nitpicking irrelevant trivia to support your argument.

I've been around to see the valley change since about 1970 so don't get too hung up on how long you've been here.

Perhaps you should consider putting your energies into spearheading a greenway poop patrol and you could fund it by selling the contentious matter. :sillygrin:

If you want a really good chuckle check out your avatar and compare that to the topic you're defending. :dyinglaughing:

Return to “Grab Bag”