Shuswap Region Has a new Portal Site and Forum

A potpourri of off-topics.
jer454

Shuswap Region Has a new Portal Site and Forum

Post by jer454 »

Hi there folks,

I am a past resident of Penticton and Kelowna and a big Fan of Castanet.
Work and my country roots, pulled me out of the 'big city' about a year ago to Salmon Arm.

While in the Okanagan I used castanet all the time and still find myself logging on quite often. I looked for a similar web service for the Shuswap, but didn't find one.

I have been trying to find ways to start an internet based business that I can operate from home around my full time job. This is in an effort to battle the financial struggles I have been experiencing, regardless of having quite a good job. I am a single Dad and don't qualify for child care subsidy, so further time away from home is impractical. I had a hard time finding accommodation's here and what I have is very pricey. I looked into buying some time ago, but with just one income, this is also not an option. These financial frustrations drove me to try and find answers/solutions to solve this, and this brought me to the web. I have done a few things will some success and some failure.

My latest project has been to create a site for the Shuswap Region. I had wanted to have something similar to Castanet. Obviously the biggest challenge to this is the process of designing and building a website, a task I understand can be very expensive.

As a compromise/sacrifice I decided to start with a "Template" portal site, with the long term goal of attracting a web designer that will work with me to build a more permanent site. I did a TON of research and found a service I felt was pretty good and within my limited budget.

I have launched a local community site and community forum for the Shuswap Region.

http://www.shuswapbc.ca and
http://www.shuswapbc-forum.ca.

I know I am a long ways from having something as nice and functional as Castanet, but I think its not a bad start. I would love to hear your input? What do you think of the sites? Do you have any suggestions/ideas for improvement/customization?

I am still trying to fine tune both sites and am putting together a customization plan for the designer of the service, so these sites will change a bit over the coming months. This has been a HUGE challenge, but it is so close now, I am very excited. I would very much appreciate some constructive criticism:)

I thank you, in advance, for your input,

Jeromy
Visiting the Shuswap This Summer?
Find Community Deals @ shuswapbc.ca
Or Check out Whats Happening in the Community Forum
hotchip99
Lord of the Board

Re: Shuswap Region Has a new Portal Site and Forum

Post by hotchip99 »

Just took a quick look!

You're off to a good start....!
jer454

Re: Shuswap Region Has a new Portal Site and Forum

Post by jer454 »

Thank you,

I appreciate the look.
This stuff is tuff if your not a trained web guy (which I am not).

Cheers,

Jeromy
Visiting the Shuswap This Summer?
Find Community Deals @ shuswapbc.ca
Or Check out Whats Happening in the Community Forum

Return to “Grab Bag”