Siberian Elms: very destructive, need to be banned

A potpourri of off-topics.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Re: Chinese Elm trees (Or Siberian Elms)

Post by dogspoiler »

Now I am realy depressed Granny.i must have pulled out a bazillion dollars worth of the little weeds.
Black Dogs Matter
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Here is another pic showing the willow-like branches.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/5539/
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

What kills me is that Garden Centers are allowed to sell these monsters. Shouldn't it be illegal?

And yes, thousands of confetti like seeds is right. At one time or another I was out sweeping them up like one would sweep up confetti after a wedding.

I still have to question the City's decision to penalize people trying to get rid of this pest tree. I'm going to be charged half of $700 because it is half on my property line, okay, I happen to be able to absorb it. But what about those who can't, or won't? Then everyone suffers from those demon seeds.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

Once you cut them down, drill a hole in the stump and fill it with bleach. Wander out every other day or so and refill with household bleach. Do that for as long as you remember (with me that means a week or two). It kills the root system quite effectively. I used to use it with cottonwoods all the time and once on an elm.
Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck »

I do lawn maintenance beside strathcona park on Abbott St. There is a chinese elm that is rotting in the center, has some sort of white worm infestation and produces more seeds then leaves. Some of the dried up dying branches are hanging over parked cars threatening to snap soon. Myself and the property owner have phoned the City of Kelowna and parks department 4 times and they come out and look at it and say nope we don't have the resources to remove it. The tree must be 30 years old and with it dying it seems to be putting out more damn seeds then ever, every spring. That section of Abbott St. is discusting looking in the late spring. All the cars have seeds/dirt on them and all the sidealk drains are clogged/caked with seeds. What else can you do???
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

Good for the city to recognize those trees as the nuisance they are. I should be so lucky. Sitting here in my dumpy trailer on Native Land I can count no less than 25 of the bloody things directly in front of my place. Once upon a time some genius decided that Chinese Elms would make a good hedge, so they've got about 150 of the buggers lining the highway along the drive. Since we moved in here 4 years ago I battle with the annual "snow" of seeds and the new growth that inevitably follows. This year, having a newborn at home I didn't bother with yard work at all. I could almost cry when I look out into my beds and forsee the hell I'm going to go through trying to rid myself of the hundreds of little trees that I've got to deal with eventually.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

eMeM wrote:Good for the city to recognize those trees as the nuisance they are. I should be so lucky. Sitting here in my dumpy trailer on Native Land I can count no less than 25 of the bloody things directly in front of my place. Once upon a time some genius decided that Chinese Elms would make a good hedge, so they've got about 150 of the buggers lining the highway along the drive. Since we moved in here 4 years ago I battle with the annual "snow" of seeds and the new growth that inevitably follows. This year, having a newborn at home I didn't bother with yard work at all. I could almost cry when I look out into my beds and forsee the hell I'm going to go through trying to rid myself of the hundreds of little trees that I've got to deal with eventually.

Find a friend with a chainsaw and cut them right down to the ground, then keep them trimmed a couple of times in the growing season. If they can't set seed, they won't create such a mess and won't multiply as much. They do make a nice hedge :D
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
eMeM
Übergod

Post by eMeM »

grammafreddy wrote:
eMeM wrote:Good for the city to recognize those trees as the nuisance they are. I should be so lucky. Sitting here in my dumpy trailer on Native Land I can count no less than 25 of the bloody things directly in front of my place. Once upon a time some genius decided that Chinese Elms would make a good hedge, so they've got about 150 of the buggers lining the highway along the drive. Since we moved in here 4 years ago I battle with the annual "snow" of seeds and the new growth that inevitably follows. This year, having a newborn at home I didn't bother with yard work at all. I could almost cry when I look out into my beds and forsee the hell I'm going to go through trying to rid myself of the hundreds of little trees that I've got to deal with eventually.

Find a friend with a chainsaw and cut them right down to the ground, then keep them trimmed a couple of times in the growing season. If they can't set seed, they won't create such a mess and won't multiply as much. They do make a nice hedge :D

Funny you would mention that. My neighbour and I have spent many afternoons plotting the trees demise over a few cold drinks. Alas, they're the landlord's trees and I have a feeling I'd get my *bleep* evicted pretty quick if I ever actually did anything about them. On a positive note, I can think of at least 3 occaisions where the damn things saved our home from being run through by vehicles that have left the highway... :hailjo:
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Thunderstruck wrote:I do lawn maintenance beside strathcona park on Abbott St. There is a chinese elm that is rotting in the center, has some sort of white worm infestation and produces more seeds then leaves. Some of the dried up dying branches are hanging over parked cars threatening to snap soon. Myself and the property owner have phoned the City of Kelowna and parks department 4 times and they come out and look at it and say nope we don't have the resources to remove it. The tree must be 30 years old and with it dying it seems to be putting out more damn seeds then ever, every spring. That section of Abbott St. is discusting looking in the late spring. All the cars have seeds/dirt on them and all the sidealk drains are clogged/caked with seeds. What else can you do???

Stop sending phone calls. Document the tree with photos, especially the dead branches and send a detailed explanation as to why this tree has to be removed. Specify in the letter that you have to use a paper trail specifically to protect yourself in case of a lawsuit, just in case some lawyer has to sort out who is liable for what portion of what lawsuit. Send the letter to .....(PM me for the exact name) and say that this letter will be updated every 6 months.
In my case I cited the new Northwood property as being affected when they put in their new landscaping worth thousands of dollars, then the city moved on that tree. Will be taken out next week.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I will add that as I drive around I have noticed more of these evil trees on city property than ever before, prolly cuz I think it is unjust that I get mine removed but others don't.

So I've devised a plan.

Every Chinese Elm on City property will have a report attached to it. See what happens then.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Well the evil Chinese Elm tree has been taken out.

The company left me about three or four inches of stump left in the ground which was not dealt with in a decisive way. That means we will be battling suckers from that stump from now til forever.

What gets me it that the City of Kelowna put out a work order for a Chinese Elm that is a mere 80 feet down the back alley. Same problem type tree, only leaning into a neighbours house.

Why didn't both trees get taken out at the same time? Same crew and equipment needed, only mere yards away but no action. Now they have to drag that equipment all the way back to this area from whereever at whatever cost to the City taxpayer.

What a waste.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Queen K wrote:Well the evil Chinese Elm tree has been taken out.

The company left me about three or four inches of stump left in the ground which was not dealt with in a decisive way. That means we will be battling suckers from that stump from now til forever.

What gets me it that the City of Kelowna put out a work order for a Chinese Elm that is a mere 80 feet down the back alley. Same problem type tree, only leaning into a neighbours house.

Why didn't both trees get taken out at the same time? Same crew and equipment needed, only mere yards away but no action. Now they have to drag that equipment all the way back to this area from whereever at whatever cost to the City taxpayer.

What a waste.

Drill holes into the stump and pour in Round Up. It WILL work.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

GG: We plan to do exactly that. The nature of this particular tree species is difficult to over come. We had years of problems with the getting rid of the Chinese Elm Hedge roots and I foresee fighting these ones for awhile. Even with Round-Up.

We discovered part of the stump was rotting from the inside after the cut, so that gives hope.
Last edited by Queen K on Nov 28th, 2009, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

Get and use the good round-up though. Not the 3% solution the hardware stores sell. get some 30% from the farmer's supply house.
Lack of objection is implied consent.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

Years ago I had five of them , I used a auger drill to get down 10 inches into the stump and put 4 holes in each one. Then i poured diesel into each holes for 3 days and left them for 2 weeks... Killed them completely.... Then I hand dug 6 inches around each stump and used a powersaw to cut it below ground level..... A little top soil and sod and you wound never know they where their..................

Return to “Grab Bag”