Siberian Elms: very destructive, need to be banned

A potpourri of off-topics.
Cumungala
Übergod

Re: Beware: The Dreaded Siberian Elm!!

Post by Cumungala »

vinnied wrote:someone correct me if I'm wrong but, are the Elks and Kings stadiums perimeter not full of these things?

Yes it looks like there are a few Siberian Elms (full grown) at the stadium, plus a few Poplar trees lining Recreation Ave. I didnt even have to go there to check, i just looked up the site on Google Street View!! :)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Chinese Elm trees (Or Siberian Elms)

Post by Queen K »

there are Chinese Elms everywhere in this town but the City would rather have their infrastructure destroyed than spend money getting rid of them.

Unless you are like me, who had to pay half to have a monster tree removed.
Spend some time and money on establishing an Estate plan, a Legal Will, your wishes and who is the Executor. Watch Grant of Probate videos. Understand the process to help yourself and loved ones.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Cut them down, and drill the stump full of one inch holes. Fill the holes with table salt and cap the holes with molten wax. They need a pretty hostile environment before they give up the ghost, but I found this works. Better yet, every time a seed takes root, uproot them. A previous poster was right, once they are a couple years old, they can be nasty.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive idiots excessively.
Gama
Fledgling

Post by Gama »

We have a neighbor that has 2 of these horrible trees we as a neighborhood offered to help with the cost of taking them out, he and his wife have never spoken to any of us sense. So the trees are still there and we all deal with mess and the the new crop year after year so now we just take the leave blower and send the mess back to his yard. Very frustrating but he loves them mind you doesn't clean up any of the mess they make. Every time there is a wind storm we all check to see if they have come down but not yet.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We dug out a massive root from this offending but now gone Chinese Elm. Mr. QK found it well digging a hole to plant Himrod grapes, so we decided to remove it all together.

I had a Chinese Elm hedge and before I got wise that I'll have to pay a stumpgrinding company to take them out, I tried to manage the regrowth. Ha ha ahhh, I may as well break my back year after year, so I had a stump grinder and a bulldozer come in to dig out the roots from the soil. We hand dug out roots well into the month after having that done. Those roots were sending up suckers, so it was best to dig them out.
Spend some time and money on establishing an Estate plan, a Legal Will, your wishes and who is the Executor. Watch Grant of Probate videos. Understand the process to help yourself and loved ones.
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

Queen K wrote:Isn't it ironic that a tree even labelled by the City of Kelowna as a noxious pest weed will not be removed by them if it is completely on private property?

The property owner has to bear the brunt of the cost, even though the benefits to the City are huge.

If the city won't assist the private property owner to remove the natural growth trees infected by the pine beetle, they will just continue laughing at the property owner plagued by the Chinese Elm. And to add insult to the mess they don't allow chemicals to get rid of them.

These "suckers" must soak up barrels of water.... water is a critical necessity in the valley. Perhaps proposing an agenda with government grants to help remove detrimental water suckers would get some attention?
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I haven't a clue what others are thinking, but I'm actually getting sick and tired of seeing this tree. It seems that this problem is much worse now than ever before. Id like to know what the city is going to do to deal with these trees. After all, it IS the city's job. My neighbor is a hater of these trees too and sent the city numerous emails about the tree invading the riparian zone of Mill Creek near Enterprise and Spall. Wow what a surprise, not a THING was done. Its almost like the city is clueless about this problem. I'm clueless as to how that could be the case, as it would be like not noticing an elephant standing in front of you. This tree HAS invaded Kelowna. It doesn't matter where you go in this town, you will run into them, and if the city doesn't clean up their act, this will be the case for generations to come.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Kill 'em, kill 'em all.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
twayblade

Post by twayblade »

My parents had several Silver Poplars on their property and it was a nightmare. They had to chop two of the trees down because the roots were growing under their neighbours fence and in to the neighbours septic tank.

Recently they had to get a tree removal company with a crane to come and remove the rest because they had become so big that they were making there way into my parent's septic tank and even coming through the basement.
The seeds were terrible they were fluffy and there were so many of them it looked like it was snowing and they got caught up everywere.

Now with the stumps and what is left of the roots, there are little trees growing from them and my parents cannot keep up with trying to control new growth; any suggestions on how to kill the stumps and roots that is effective and cheap?
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Drill holes in the stumps and fill the holes with a herbicide of some sorts (roundup, weedbgone etc) or if they're the green type try babbitman's salt idea or pour vinegar in the holes.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

strwbrrydvl wrote:Drill holes in the stumps and fill the holes with a herbicide of some sorts (roundup, weedbgone etc) or if they're the green type try babbitman's salt idea or pour vinegar in the holes.

Yup. That's how I got rid of the wild chokecherry that was taking over my yard.
I cut the trees off to about 6 in above ground, drilled holes and pour in Roundup. It was the only thing that worked.
I had been trying to get rid of the for years, but I kept having suckers popping up all over the yard.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Well, the annual batch of seeds should be out pretty quick now. Its almost time for the city to be covered in snow.
Last edited by Cumungala on Jun 9th, 2011, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Ive noticed Siberian Elms everywhere in the Central Okanagan, all South Okanagan communities, almost all North Okanagan communities, Salmon Arm, Kamloops, Merritt, Lytton, Ashcroft, Midway, Grand Forks, Rock Creek, Trail and Castlegar, (I get around eh), but none of these places seem to have as much of a problem with these trees as Kelowna.

The number of Siberian Elms in this town is a joke and something ABSOLUTELY needs to be done. I'm not saying they should be permanently and totally removed, but the city has GOT to get a handle on this. There is some things that people need to realize:

There is no need to have trillions of these trees everywhere in Kelowna
There is no need to let them grow in your property and have them take over
There is no need to ignore these trees
There is no need to plant this tree on your property

Actually, whats the point? Nobody cares anyway.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Man, I'd like a nice shade tree for my yard ...............
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Drive up to the Summerland Research Gardens, there is the nicest shade tree EVER. Figure out a way to get a piece home to root.

What ever you do, don't do the Chinese Elm route.

Return to “Grab Bag”