16%
Everything is too expensive.
21%

Total votes: 56

Rick Shea
Board Meister

Why would you move away from Kelowna?

Post by Rick Shea »

Several people in this forum have mentioned that they, or someone they know, want to move away from Kelowna for various reasons. What's yours?

The above is only a partial list of the possibilities mentioned by others. Feel free to add your own in a post.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Hi Rick, good idea for a thread.

None of the options in your poll fit us, so I didn't check one. We wanted to move away from Kelowna (and did) because we craved to be back on the Coast again. Even though Victoria is far more expensive, and my husband had to take a pay cut to be here, there comes a time in everybody's life when they have to decide where they really want to be and then just go for it, and so we did, after 15 years in Kelowna.

What is it about the Coast we prefer as opposed to the Interior? For us, the big main thing is being by the seaside, not the lakeshore, and also we love the green all year round and the moderate temperatures. There are other things, but those are the main things.
Rick Shea
Board Meister

Post by Rick Shea »

Thanks, Jo. I had more poll options, including something similar to what you said, but the system seems to have a default limit and cut them off. That's why I'm asking for more options in the posts, and thanks!

Having spent a considerable amount of time in Victoria, I too would consider it as a place to live, but playing Russian roulette with big earthquakes is not one of my things. Given that one of the effects of subduction is that Victoria apparently gets about 2 centimetres closer to Penticton each year, you may end up back in the Okanagan again anyway.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

The rents in the apartment complex I live in are now $200/mo more than what I pay. Thank goodness for the landlord not legally being able to annually jack my rent up more than inflation plus 2%. I've been in the apt. nearly six years, and hope to be able to remain longer.

Should I have to move sooner than later, it looks like I'll either move to Hein Rd., find a suitable roommate willing to share a house with my daughter and I, or move our lives to a new city (another office professional gone from K-town).

HOWEVER.... if I threaten to move home, it may prompt ma & pa to buck up and invest in property on my behalf.

hmmmmmm :-k
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Rick Shea wrote:Thanks, Jo. I had more poll options, including something similar to what you said, but the system seems to have a default limit and cut them off. That's why I'm asking for more options in the posts, and thanks!

Having spent a considerable amount of time in Victoria, I too would consider it as a place to live, but playing Russian roulette with big earthquakes is not one of my things. Given that one of the effects of subduction is that Victoria apparently gets about 2 centimetres closer to Penticton each year, you may end up back in the Okanagan again anyway.

Yes there is a limit to poll options, but this works well having people add their reasoning in the thread.

When I was younger, I was worried about earthquakes (in those days, I wouldn't drive through San Francisco!) but somewhere along the way I became pretty relaxed about such things. Funny thing is, people on the Island are dead calm about it, they just don't worry about stuff like that, which is nice. There's more of a c'est la vie attitude here about everything, that's for very sure.

As for your last thought: :shock: :lol:
Stinkerbell

Post by Stinkerbell »

Hi Rick: I could not vote in your poll as the only option for me would be if my husband moved.
alsoCharlie
Fledgling

Post by alsoCharlie »

I voted with the traffic and crowding option. But I have no desire to ever leave here!! We were lucky enough to find a house we could afford five years ago, had my husband I waited even three months we probably wouldn't be able to be here now!! Mind you we will probably be living in our house for a very very long time....it may have more than doubled in price in the last few years but getting into anything bigger, or newer would still be way out of our range. I always think about how lucky I am to live here, I love the lakes and the sunshine, the mountains and the views...for me that stuff makes up for the high cost of living here.
Gordian Knot
Übergod

Post by Gordian Knot »

I would vote "all of the above". :D
A baby is something you carry inside you for nine months, in your arms for three years and in your heart till the day you die.
-- Mary Mason
smarty
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by smarty »

Well, its no secret I moved out of kelowna for a job opportunity that was just to good to pass up. I'm originally from the Island, and my husband has been trying the past year to get transferred here. We took the risk of my coming here ahead of him (ASSUMING) he will more than likely be transferred here within the next year.

I'll commute back to KTown on a monthly basis, to garden, and clean my house.

However, we are more 'island" people, enjoy the ocean etc. I rarely ventured into Kelowna from Lake Country, until I met a few Castanetters. I enjoyed the growing season of the OK, and I MISS walking ourside in the morning to pick my fresh bowl of raspberries!!! :(

Also, I think with the fact that we have spent the last 30 years moving every 2 - 3 years, that I don't allow myself to become so "attached" to one location...eventually we'll retire here in Victoria, or somewhere on the Island.
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

smarty wrote:I enjoyed the growing season of the OK, and I MISS walking ourside in the morning to pick my fresh bowl of raspberries!!! :(

Heck, you'll get to wander out ANYwhere on the Island and pick blackberries instead, come mid-August. Yum. Pure yum. :D
smarty
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by smarty »

Oh I know Jo....I'm watching the ones close to my moms already...I LOVE making Blackberry jelly...then smearing it all over homemade sourdough bread...THAT is the best!
rocknroller
Fledgling

Post by rocknroller »

As I read this this poll I thought how my answer has changed in the past couple years. Been here more than 15 years and thought I would never want to leave but now I can certainly see myself leaving in the next couple years.. The reason is I miss the ocean.. Since it wasn't one of the choices I didn't respond to the poll...Whether it be Victoria or somewhere else. I know sometime in the not too distant future I will go back. Will I miss Kelowna??? You bet but if you have never lived by or near the ocean you probably won't understand.. You that have will know what I am talking about.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

kccayenne wrote:The rents in the apartment complex I live in are now $200/mo more than what I pay. Thank goodness for the landlord not legally being able to annually jack my rent up more than inflation plus 2%. I've been in the apt. nearly six years, and hope to be able to remain longer.

Should I have to move sooner than later, it looks like I'll either move to Hein Rd., find a suitable roommate willing to share a house with my daughter and I, or move our lives to a new city (another office professional gone from K-town).

HOWEVER.... if I threaten to move home, it may prompt ma & pa to buck up and invest in property on my behalf.

hmmmmmm :-k

I hope you are kidding about Hein Rd. I had a bf who lived there about 12yrs ago, it was rough then. He had just moved out here from Ont and took a room with someone in a duplex. It was pretty scanky. That was before there were crack houses there.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kgcayenne »

Of COURSE I was kidding. heheeee
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

kccayenne wrote:Of COURSE I was kidding. heheeee

Whew.

Return to “Grab Bag”