People don't care.
16%
Everything is too expensive.
21%

Total votes: 56

wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

ummmmm you want to have tea in a "cat house" ferri !!?? ... that can be taken several ways you know ??
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:200: i feel faint!

:lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

hee hee .... evil giggling .... come into my house little grrrl ...

ohhh wait .... that's more like the wicked witch ... mind you the cat scenario suits that too .... <lol>

ok ... so in the last two days on this forum I've suggested I'm a biddy, a ganny :125: , a cantankerous ol' crone, an eccentric cat lady, an' a wicked witch (not to be confused with a wiccan) ... I think I will have to do some meditation on this to find out what I really want to be when I grow up.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

wanderer wrote:hee hee .... evil giggling .... come into my house little grrrl ...

ohhh wait .... that's more like the wicked witch ... mind you the cat scenario suits that too .... <lol>

ok ... so in the last two days on this forum I've suggested I'm a biddy, a ganny :125: , a cantankerous ol' crone, an eccentric cat lady, an' a wicked witch (not to be confused with a wiccan) ... I think I will have to do some meditation on this to find out what I really want to be when I grow up.

oh heck, just stay like you are! you fit right in! :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
crankster
Banned

Post by crankster »

I would move out of this town in a heart beat! For all the above and the added fact we have city council mired in the 'good ol'boys club" attitude.
I have never disliked living in a city so much as i do here. The unfortunate thing is that I am trapped by the economy. and circumstance.
People Powered Government-say yes to an overthrow near you!
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Other than 'jobs are hard to find', I would have checked off all of them. As most of you regulars know by now, I moved out of Kelowna after calling it home for 35 yrs. I see a lot of people desire to live near the ocean. That was my desire as well. I couldnt afford the Pacific Ocean, so I moved near the Atlantic Ocean, clear across the country to Nova Scotia.

I am not a city person, so as soon as Kelowna started to really grow, which I believe happened when the Coke opened up, I began to get the moving itch. Kelowna, the entire Okanagan in fact, is beautiful. I absolutely loved living in the valley surrounded by mountains. The lake is nice, but it's not the ocean. For me, I did not enjoy Kelowna. I detest the summer heat, so I basically lived inside with my air conditioning for July and August. There are some really wonderful people in Kelown, but on a whole, Kelowna is very cliquey and not all that friendly. The last time I walked downtown, I made a point of looking people in the eye, smiling and saying hi as I passed them on the street. Not one person returned my genuine smile or greeting! Many just kept walking, some gruffly said hi, and others looked at me as if I had a third eye in the middle of my forhead. I found it hard to 'break into' Kelowna, and I lived there for 35 blinkin years, so I can understand what people like spasmo are saying.

I've been here in NS for 7 months now....WOW....and I dont regret moving one bit. The people here are so incredibly warm and friendly and very genuine. I was warned that it might be a culture shock as the people in the Maritimes are 'different'. Well if this is different, the rest of Canada needs to take notice. People here actually care about each other and are genuinely concerned for their neighbour. My son and I spent a lot of time last summer driving around and getting to know the area. So many people sit out on their front porches and give a big smile and wave as you drive by. Honestly it took a little while to get used to that, but now I find myself doing the waving first. Oh, and another thing, the housing prices here are some of the lowest in Canada. I moved from a small 1050 sq ft townhouse in Kelowna to a 4 bedroom 1700 sq ft home (not including the basement) for a fraction of the price. As for weather, there always seems to be a wonderful sea breeze. Yes that can get a tad nippy in the wintre, but it's so refreshing in the summer. The ok valley is known for it's wintre cloud. Here there is more sunshine in the winter.

Oh yeah, and then there is the freshly caught lobster and scallops! Yumm, I think it's time for another pot of homemade seafood chowder!

:130: to new beginnings.

~D
hotchip99
Lord of the Board

Post by hotchip99 »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:I've been here in NS for 7 months now....WOW....and I dont regret moving one bit. The people here are so incredibly warm and friendly and very genuine.

A friend just moved to N.S., and said the same thing to me....maybe people are starting to notice the lifestyle benefits there.
It's interesting the the above poll had no votes on 'too much crime'. My reason to move would be for 'too crowded', but I would not move too far, maybe 10 paces beyond the city limits. The westside is beginning to appeal to me as well!
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

hotchip99 wrote: ... The westside is beginning to appeal to me as well!

It's the people who make the West best! :smt047

Regarding the poll.. one reason I might one day want to move away from the Okanagan is over-development, so I chose the option "too much traffic & crowding". At the moment though, I love everything about living here. :D
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
MADGE
Fledgling

Post by MADGE »

I moved from the Coast and tried to like Kelowna but I miss the Ocean. I miss the seasons and the scent in the air.

There is such a variety of people, and I miss the enviroment. :130:

The rents have gone up here just as much as Vancouver, you just might as well go back.

There is not as much to do here as in Vancouver. People don't seem to care here, and there are a lot of drugs. I know there are drugs in Vancouver to but they hide it better. :147:
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Loveee wrote:I moved from the Coast and tried to like Kelowna but I miss the Ocean. I miss the seasons and the scent in the air.

Mmmmm, I LOVE when I can smell and feel the ocean mist in the air. Nothing quiet like it!!

~D
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:Other than 'jobs are hard to find', I would have checked off all of them. As most of you regulars know by now, I moved out of Kelowna after calling it home for 35 yrs. I see a lot of people desire to live near the ocean. That was my desire as well. I couldnt afford the Pacific Ocean, so I moved near the Atlantic Ocean, clear across the country to Nova Scotia.

I am not a city person, so as soon as Kelowna started to really grow, which I believe happened when the Coke opened up, I began to get the moving itch. Kelowna, the entire Okanagan in fact, is beautiful. I absolutely loved living in the valley surrounded by mountains. The lake is nice, but it's not the ocean. For me, I did not enjoy Kelowna. I detest the summer heat, so I basically lived inside with my air conditioning for July and August. There are some really wonderful people in Kelown, but on a whole, Kelowna is very cliquey and not all that friendly. The last time I walked downtown, I made a point of looking people in the eye, smiling and saying hi as I passed them on the street. Not one person returned my genuine smile or greeting! Many just kept walking, some gruffly said hi, and others looked at me as if I had a third eye in the middle of my forhead. I found it hard to 'break into' Kelowna, and I lived there for 35 blinkin years, so I can understand what people like spasmo are saying.

I've been here in NS for 7 months now....WOW....and I dont regret moving one bit. The people here are so incredibly warm and friendly and very genuine. I was warned that it might be a culture shock as the people in the Maritimes are 'different'. Well if this is different, the rest of Canada needs to take notice. People here actually care about each other and are genuinely concerned for their neighbour. My son and I spent a lot of time last summer driving around and getting to know the area. So many people sit out on their front porches and give a big smile and wave as you drive by. Honestly it took a little while to get used to that, but now I find myself doing the waving first. Oh, and another thing, the housing prices here are some of the lowest in Canada. I moved from a small 1050 sq ft townhouse in Kelowna to a 4 bedroom 1700 sq ft home (not including the basement) for a fraction of the price. As for weather, there always seems to be a wonderful sea breeze. Yes that can get a tad nippy in the wintre, but it's so refreshing in the summer. The ok valley is known for it's wintre cloud. Here there is more sunshine in the winter.

Oh yeah, and then there is the freshly caught lobster and scallops! Yumm, I think it's time for another pot of homemade seafood chowder!

~D

I like friendly people D, and that is one thing the east has, hands down. We were in Halifax for a brief stint...and actually felt at home. How do people in a city larger than Kelowna make you feel at home? I'm not actually sure, the only think we came up with, was that folks were friendly. I mean I waited outside a government building while my wife was inside...and talked to a security guard about cars...he was super friendly and intelligent. Grabbed his hand when my wife came out and said talk to you later...
A month later when we went back...the guy called my by my first name...and started talking about my car!!! *bleep*.
I don't approach people here in Kelowna anymore becuase they make me feel unwelcome. I mean how the heck does that happen to people?
I don't know. Find my wife and I a job out there that pays more than we make now...and were there in sec.
MADGE
Fledgling

Post by MADGE »

SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:
CoffeeCanuck wrote:Other than 'jobs are hard to find', I would have checked off all of them. As most of you regulars know by now, I moved out of Kelowna after calling it home for 35 yrs. I see a lot of people desire to live near the ocean. That was my desire as well. I couldnt afford the Pacific Ocean, so I moved near the Atlantic Ocean, clear across the country to Nova Scotia.

~D

I like friendly people D, and that is one thing the east has, hands down. We were in Halifax for a brief stint...and actually felt at home. How do people in a city larger than Kelowna make you feel at home? I'm not actually sure, the only think we came up with, was that folks were friendly. I mean I waited outside a government building while my wife was inside...and talked to a security guard about cars...he was super friendly and intelligent. Grabbed his hand when my wife came out and said talk to you later...
A month later when we went back...the guy called my by my first name...and started talking about my car!!! what the heck.
I don't approach people here in Kelowna anymore becuase they make me feel unwelcome. I mean how the heck does that happen to people?
I don't know. Find my wife and I a job out there that pays more than we make now...and were there in sec.

:134:
I agree with you completely. I felt more welcome when I lived in Vancouver. :134:

Return to “Grab Bag”