Gas $143.9

A potpourri of off-topics.
User avatar
cv23
Guru
Posts: 8716
Joined: Jul 4th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by cv23 »

alanjh595 wrote:
Capture.JPG

Que regulated price
New Brunswick regulated
Nova Scotia regulated
PEI regulated
Newfoundland regulated

The reason those provinces are regulated is that their governments grew tired of the constant gouging and price fixing being used to rip off their citizens by Big Oil. It is becoming clearer and clearer that the time has come for BC government to consider similar measures.
Gas is no longer a luxury but a necessity of life. Our food is transported to market in gas powered trucks. Our clothing and all other consumer goods are brought to market in gas powered trucks. Materials for housing is transported to site by gas powered trucks. Here in Kelowna with the demise of rail service EVERYTHING is brought to us by gas powered trucks. Even the gas itself for the transport trucks to make deliveries of the goods we need to survive is brought by gas powered trucks. Every service technician we call for repairs rely on gas powered vehicles to get to us.
Clearly gas is no longer a luxury but a necessity and just like electricity and natural gas the consumer price of these necessities needs to be protected from those who would gouge, price fix or just plain rip off the public. Call, email or write the Premier and MLA and let them know you are tired of being duped, lied to and just plain ripped off by the oil companies.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
Posts: 5785
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by Jflem1983 »

cv23 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:
Capture.JPG

Que regulated price
New Brunswick regulated
Nova Scotia regulated
PEI regulated
Newfoundland regulated

The reason those provinces are regulated is that their governments grew tired of the constant gouging and price fixing being used to rip off their citizens by Big Oil. It is becoming clearer and clearer that the time has come for BC government to consider similar measures.
Gas is no longer a luxury but a necessity of life. Our food is transported to market in gas powered trucks. Our clothing and all other consumer goods are brought to market in gas powered trucks. Materials for housing is transported to site by gas powered trucks. Here in Kelowna with the demise of rail service EVERYTHING is brought to us by gas powered trucks. Even the gas itself for the transport trucks to make deliveries of the goods we need to survive is brought by gas powered trucks. Every service technician we call for repairs rely on gas powered vehicles to get to us.
Clearly gas is no longer a luxury but a necessity and just like electricity and natural gas the consumer price of these necessities needs to be protected from those who would gouge, price fix or just plain rip off the public. Call, email or write the Premier and MLA and let them know you are tired of being duped, lied to and just plain ripped off by the oil companies.



Well over half of the price of gas is taxes. Yet still you blame private enterprise that employs a million Canadians. Whats up with that
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
User avatar
cv23
Guru
Posts: 8716
Joined: Jul 4th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by cv23 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Well over half of the price of gas is taxes. Yet still you blame private enterprise that employs a million Canadians. Whats up with that

Actually taxes only account for about 34% and most are a fixed rate, not a percentage, so as the price increases the percentage of the price going to taxes decreases. Changes in tax rates happen over years and at a very gradual, sometimes unperceptible rate of a cent or two a liter, not 10 cents over night or 20% in a few short months. Those types of increases are due to nothing but price fixing and gouging.
Yet still you blame a government that employs a million Canadians. Whats up with that?
common_sense_guy
Übergod
Posts: 1429
Joined: Nov 23rd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by common_sense_guy »

I don't understand why more of you can't see the real picture. That the price of gas doesn't matter a whole lot. For the ones of you that keeps shouting price-fixing price-fixing. If all you sold was milk and you had to advertise that price on the street would you be stupid enough to sell it at a higher price than the guy next door? Of course not because then you wouldn't get any business. It's not because they're all friends. smarten enough people .and think about that. so now think about a $0.20 a litre gas price hike. I drive a big truck ,100 litres so that equates to $20 more per fill up. On a bad month I have to fill it up almost once a week so that's not even $80 more a month. How many of you go out for dinner and blow a hundred plus dollars in one night on a luxury like that. think bout it what it means to drive all over this beautiful country and how much you paid just to go for one dinner for one hour. I'm just thinking about how many more other more important things there are to complain about than the price of gas. How about the price of our electricity on a commodity that we supposedly own. How about anything the government thinks about taxing they just bring out and tax at will without our consent. Channel your energy into complaining about something else is my suggestion.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
Posts: 5785
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by Jflem1983 »

Ok 34 percent. Your number. To the government. For doing what. Keep in mind. Half of production costs are all taxes and royalties . Leases etc. Lotta government dollars. Really its like 65 percent by the time u add it all upp. Taxed every which way to sunday. All to feed even more social programs .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
User avatar
cv23
Guru
Posts: 8716
Joined: Jul 4th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by cv23 »

common_sense_guy wrote: If all you sold was milk and you had to advertise that price on the street would you be stupid enough to sell it at a higher price than the guy next door? Of course not because then you wouldn't get any business.


Yet in that milk market you speak of the retailers do advertise their price via flyers, signage , etc and they try to be the lowest and in doing so attract more business both in milk sales and other items their store has for sale. The various retailers get their milk from different sources so have different prices. They also put their milk on sale in an attempt to garner more business.
Yet in gasoline sales in Kelowna every retailer charges exactly the same, right down to the tenth of a cent. The retailers get their product from various suppliers and obviously have different overheads depending on location , size of operation, etc. yet each sells for exactly the same price right down to the tenth of a cent.
In areas with a healthy competitive market their can often be "service" (ha ha) stations on each corner with having a different price and each has customers. Right now in Vancouver prices range from $1.539 to $1.599. Why is it in Kelowna that every single station is the identical price, down to a tenth of a cent and the foolish continue to say "No, no, no, there's no collusion".
Big Oil tried the most recent 9 cent hike in Vancouver yet due to a competitive market place it didn't hold and quickly fell back to previous prices yet in Kelowna here we sit paying the gouge price because there a less players to keep in line for the price fix. It has been shown that there was no big jump in the wholesale price yet ALL the retailers in Kelowna raised their prices and ALL raised them exactly the same amount. No, no, no, no collusion here.

This gouging and collusion drives up the price on everything we buy because everything we buy and every service we need is transported to us on trucks. Consumers are not just being screwed at the pumps due to gouging and collusion but more importantly are being screwed at every cash register they use by the oil companies gouging and collusion of fuel prices.

Contact the Premier and your MLA and let them know about how you feel about gas prices, either in favor of the gouging and collusion as some clearly are or against as clearly some are. What do you have to lose or gain except for more money in or out of your pockets?
User avatar
Jflem1983
Guru
Posts: 5785
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2015, 11:38 am

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by Jflem1983 »

cv23 wrote:
common_sense_guy wrote: If all you sold was milk and you had to advertise that price on the street would you be stupid enough to sell it at a higher price than the guy next door? Of course not because then you wouldn't get any business.


Yet in that milk market you speak of the retailers do advertise their price via flyers, signage , etc and they try to be the lowest and in doing so attract more business both in milk sales and other items their store has for sale. The various retailers get their milk from different sources so have different prices. They also put their milk on sale in an attempt to garner more business.
Yet in gasoline sales in Kelowna every retailer charges exactly the same, right down to the tenth of a cent. The retailers get their product from various suppliers and obviously have different overheads depending on location , size of operation, etc. yet each sells for exactly the same price right down to the tenth of a cent.
In areas with a healthy competitive market their can often be "service" (ha ha) stations on each corner with having a different price and each has customers. Right now in Vancouver prices range from $1.539 to $1.599. Why is it in Kelowna that every single station is the identical price, down to a tenth of a cent and the foolish continue to say "No, no, no, there's no collusion".
Big Oil tried the most recent 9 cent hike in Vancouver yet due to a competitive market place it didn't hold and quickly fell back to previous prices yet in Kelowna here we sit paying the gouge price because there a less players to keep in line for the price fix. It has been shown that there was no big jump in the wholesale price yet ALL the retailers in Kelowna raised their prices and ALL raised them exactly the same amount. No, no, no, no collusion here.



Milk is controlled market. Much like a walled garden. Artificial on every level. Now what were u saying about oil companies feeding millions . Yes they do a good job i agree. Too bad your ultra liberal government views them as a piggy bank
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
User avatar
Popeye69
Board Meister
Posts: 418
Joined: Dec 14th, 2008, 7:57 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by Popeye69 »

common_sense_guy wrote:I don't understand why more of you can't see the real picture. That the price of gas doesn't matter a whole lot. For the ones of you that keeps shouting price-fixing price-fixing. If all you sold was milk and you had to advertise that price on the street would you be stupid enough to sell it at a higher price than the guy next door? Of course not because then you wouldn't get any business. It's not because they're all friends. smarten enough people .and think about that. so now think about a $0.20 a litre gas price hike. I drive a big truck ,100 litres so that equates to $20 more per fill up. On a bad month I have to fill it up almost once a week so that's not even $80 more a month. How many of you go out for dinner and blow a hundred plus dollars in one night on a luxury like that. think bout it what it means to drive all over this beautiful country and how much you paid just to go for one dinner for one hour. I'm just thinking about how many more other more important things there are to complain about than the price of gas. How about the price of our electricity on a commodity that we supposedly own. How about anything the government thinks about taxing they just bring out and tax at will without our consent. Channel your energy into complaining about something else is my suggestion.

I agree with you about power.
BUT.. With higher gas prices you drive less... the food you buy costs more...the T.V you buy costs more...everything in life costs more besides driving. For families of lower income you drive less...you travel less...you spend less. High gas prices strangle the economy, thats the thing people dont seem to wrap their heads around. Politicians love the whole carbon pricing plan. Under the guise of being green its just another tax. They dont care, they make a ton of cash and dont take the bus. Does anyone here in Canada seriously think that YOUR car that you drive today with our population of 34 million makes a c hair a DIFFERENCE in comparison to the billion or so people in China, India and the U.S?!!! Why should we carry or be burdened by the sword of carbon pricing when our contribution to green house gas accumulates to a fart in the wind. Why do we have to be the shining castle on the hill and suffer for it!!??? End Carbon Pricing. Build more refineries I say.
Oh but the millennials will say "if we light the way others will follow".... Shut up. Canada always lights the way, we are lighting the way now and have been for years. Don't mean we gotta pay out our *bleep* to prove a point no one else cares about besides us.
Millenials... my goodness....
tantor
Board Meister
Posts: 355
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by tantor »

For those naive people that always buy or espouse the supply and demand fairytale. Demand for bread milk and eggs goes up on long weekends too but I don't see a 3% price hike on those things or other commodities like beer and wine. This Is BS on it's face! Stop drinking the unleaded coolaid! It doesn't take a mathematical genius to figure out that the excuse is the same whether or not oil is 40 dollars a barrel or 150 dollars a barrel. That being said the consumers can only blame themselves. All it would take is for consumers to band together and agree to only gas up at one kind of station exclusively. The prices would start to drop at the other stations within a day or two. People are too lazy and just as greedy as the gas companies. They are not willing to do this as they would have to drive a few extra blocks or plan ahead a little bit to accomplish this. So instead they will cry and moan for another 100 years while the prices continue to rise and the oil companies continue to make billions.

Spare me the whole poor oil company story of them having to get it out of the ground, truck it refine it BS too. If it was such a poor investment for them the would not spend billions in exploration, lobbying and pipelines. If people wise up to this nonsense they will bring back the peak oil conspiracy because the consumer will believe just about anything.
User avatar
vinnied
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4033
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:51 am

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by vinnied »

tantor wrote:For those naive people that always buy or espouse the supply and demand fairytale. Demand for bread milk and eggs goes up on long weekends too but I don't see a 3% price hike on those things or other commodities like beer and wine. This Is BS on it's face! Stop drinking the unleaded coolaid! It doesn't take a mathematical genius to figure out that the excuse is the same whether or not oil is 40 dollars a barrel or 150 dollars a barrel. That being said the consumers can only blame themselves. All it would take is for consumers to band together and agree to only gas up at one kind of station exclusively. The prices would start to drop at the other stations within a day or two. People are too lazy and just as greedy as the gas companies. They are not willing to do this as they would have to drive a few extra blocks or plan ahead a little bit to accomplish this. So instead they will cry and moan for another 100 years while the prices continue to rise and the oil companies continue to make billions.

Spare me the whole poor oil company story of them having to get it out of the ground, truck it refine it BS too. If it was such a poor investment for them the would not spend billions in exploration, lobbying and pipelines. If people wise up to this nonsense they will bring back the peak oil conspiracy because the consumer will believe just about anything.

that old idea about boycotting 1 station would probably just give them an excuse to raise prices at the others. Look how long petro canada was shut down for..now look how much gas went up for no reason what so ever
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
tantor
Board Meister
Posts: 355
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by tantor »

So apathy is the answer? Check. Let's not try anything but whining. People not willing to do anything to make a change deserve none.
tantor
Board Meister
Posts: 355
Joined: May 15th, 2010, 2:11 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by tantor »

You call it a boycott, I call it the power of the wallet. Oil companies use the exact same tactics when they lobby! They give the money to the party that will tow their line. If the other stations raised their prices but no one was buying their gas who cares! With enough of the consumers sticking to their guns the other stations would loose huge amounts of revenue daily! Consumers drive the market period, but I digress. In this climate of division among the populace, I don't see any coming together to get anything done. The people who make the rules have done their job well and the public seems all too inclined to be their subservient pets. If you are not willing to vote with your wallet then you don't have any vote. A vote for any of our crooked political parties (which is all of them) is a proven waste of effort. Everyone keeps voting for the same parties term after term and expecting a different outcome. This demonstrates a certain level of insanity.
User avatar
cv23
Guru
Posts: 8716
Joined: Jul 4th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by cv23 »

tantor wrote:So apathy is the answer? Check. Let's not try anything but whining. People not willing to do anything to make a change deserve none.

Consumer apathy is the reason boycotts won't work.
Emails to the Premier and your MLA showing outrage at being ripped of through gouging and collusion by the oil companies take less effort and presents a better chance of getting results.
The oil companies don't fear the consumer because the oil companies totally control the market and will force the consumer into paying what the oil companies want as is evident today in the Okanagan. The only thing the oil companies fear is government intervention or a price fixing investigation, like recently happened with bread, that would put an end to their gouging and price fixing through legal action or legislated pricing levels. It worked in the Maritimes were price fixing and gouging was rampant until government legislation put an end to it.
hobbyguy
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14032
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by hobbyguy »

The argument for regulation of gasoline prices is really weak.

Montreal, regulated, pays about the same gasoline taxes as we do (we are a tad higher than them with the carbon tax increase). The price in Montreal yesterday? 143.4 best price.

Costco in Prince George (where there is a refinery with adequate pipeline supply) - 126.9

So the unregulated price where a proper supply chain exists is lower than the regulated price - with about the same taxes.

Makes ya go hmmm....
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
User avatar
cv23
Guru
Posts: 8716
Joined: Jul 4th, 2005, 2:59 pm

Re: Gas $143.9

Post by cv23 »

hobbyguy wrote:The argument for regulation of gasoline prices is really weak.

Montreal, regulated, pays about the same gasoline taxes as we do (we are a tad higher than them with the carbon tax increase). The price in Montreal yesterday? 143.4 best price.

Costco in Prince George (where there is a refinery with adequate pipeline supply) - 126.9

So the unregulated price where a proper supply chain exists is lower than the regulated price - with about the same taxes.

Makes ya go hmmm....


Quebec is regulated, but like to many other things, the french get it backwards. Instead of regulating a maximum price Quebec regulates a minimum price for some unknown reason:
"Quebec sets minimum prices weekly based on its estimate of the acquisition cost of gasoline. The price includes an estimate of transportation costs and can include a minimum retail margin at the discretion of the regulating body, the Regie de l’energie du Quebec."
Montrealers are saying similar things many in BC are.
No other major city in North America experiences similar cartel-like price behaviour at the pump.

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/opi ... gas-prices

Return to “Grab Bag”