Dumpster Diving

A potpourri of off-topics.
Malcolmm11711

Dumpster Diving

Post by Malcolmm11711 »

What are the laws around dumpster diving in Kelowna? Is it a problem if done without trespassing on private property, causing damage to property, or leaving a mess?
Daspoot
Übergod

Re: Dumpster Diving

Post by Daspoot »

If you are the victim, you need better locks on your garbage can. If you want to do some "recycling" I'm of the opinion that you're better off apologizing than asking permission, but be respectful and don't leave a mess.
On a different forum
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Dumpsters are private property, and they are located ON private property.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I don't care if they catch me.
They threw it all out so imo it's a free for all.
Lotta good food in dumpsters this time of year.
It stays refrigerated.
Not like summer when ya gotta be there within an hour of them tossing it.
I recently got a coffee maker from a dumpster. Works like new. Nothing wrong with it.
Black & Decker too.
I got a rug from a dumpster 20 years ago and I still have it. Probably worth close to a thousand to buy new.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
2xdynamic

Post by 2xdynamic »

Dumpster diving is legal in Canada, as trash is considered public domain—so long as you don't trespass or break and enter. I cannot stress this enough: be respectful. ... Leave the dumpster area as clean—or cleaner—than it was before you got there. be safe while doing it as well, glass and sharp metal is always a danger. :biggrin:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Can't pick at the dump though :(

I really question what people throw away . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Go to a small town u can pick at the dump . It's only here in the big city I have seen that rule posted
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Bman wrote:I don't care if they catch me.
They threw it all out so imo it's a free for all.
Lotta good food in dumpsters this time of year.
It stays refrigerated.
Not like summer when ya gotta be there within an hour of them tossing it.
I recently got a coffee maker from a dumpster. Works like new. Nothing wrong with it.
Black & Decker too.
I got a rug from a dumpster 20 years ago and I still have it. Probably worth close to a thousand to buy new.

I scored a lawnmower that worked, sold it for 80 bucks.
All the gas piping in my house.
All the BX electrical cable I used to rewire.
Lumber.
I think it is a crime to dispose of usable stuff.
Waste not
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

If you have to dumpster dive, you made some questionable choices in life.
Malcolmm11711

Post by Malcolmm11711 »

Even Steven wrote:If you have to dumpster dive, you made some questionable choices in life.

I most definitely don't have to. If you do a quick internet search, you will learn that many people score sweet stuff from dumpsters
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Even Steven wrote:If you have to dumpster dive, you made some questionable choices in life.

Not necessarily, Even Steven. I come from the generation whose parents rarely threw things out. Old habits die hard, and when I can scavenge something rather than pay for it, well that''s just gravy - isn't it! Case in point, the good and big plant pots cost $60-$90. I scored a pair being thrown out, though I darn neat put my back out getting them in the back of my vehicle. One of them was cast iron to boot. :biggrin:

My friend and I scavenged marble for her patio - cost us a case of beer and we could make as many trips as we wanted to pull discards out of the bin at a marble place. Turned out really well.

Another time I found an apartment building pulling cast iron railing. Chatted with the building manager, he was going to hire someone to dump it. Got paid $20 and my friend got railings for her garden.

It is all part of the frugal mentality - why pay if you can get it for free? Garage sales, thrift stores, consignment shops, freecycle and dumpster diving; a clever person can make a dollar stretch.
Last edited by Lady tehMa on Apr 1st, 2017, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't failed until I quit.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Here on the rock, we put out separate recycle bins. I really respect perhaps needier folks who get up in the dark, and walk the neighborhood, going through the recycle bins, looking for bottles, cans, jars, etc that they can resell. I've now taken to separating items that can be sold at a depot, and put them in a separate bag so the person doesn't have to sort thru it all. They just take the bag and they're done. At xmas, we slip a few bucks in the bag, too.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

A friend of mine who works part time at a pet food store in Kelowna. This person has concerns about those who dumpster dive at their location.
If those who are attempting to grab throwing away pet food (cat or dog).
Please don't because the food is contaminated with other items throwing out i.e litter, shampoo & chemicals & broken glass etc
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

I know you're asking about Kelowna but a few years ago I cleaned up at Big White just before it closed for the season. All the kids that are going back to their home countries just get rid of everything. They can't take it with them and most don't have transportation to take them to donate.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Sige wrote:I know you're asking about Kelowna but a few years ago I cleaned up at Big White just before it closed for the season. All the kids that are going back to their home countries just get rid of everything. They can't take it with them and most don't have transportation to take them to donate.

I scored two new sets of skis w/bindings this way, top notch stuff too.
Also,
Witnessed a Dad moving his Kid out of an apartment, obviously po'd, they were just throwing
everything that didn't fit into his pick-up away. (stacking against the dumpster)

Scored all kinds of quality stuff that had little to no use; Drafting table and associated tools,
brand new Dremel with 2 acc. cases of attachments and bits, complete.
Overhead projector, retractable movie screen, solid wood desk, small quality roll top desk
and two good office chairs.

One quality find probably worth a couple grand to buy.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Grab Bag”