If you are going to help a car in distress...

A potpourri of off-topics.
the_anonymous

If you are going to help a car in distress...

Post by the_anonymous »

Ah winter, a wonderful season of cars sliding off the road.

I just saw a quote on one article (The Jeep Helping the Semi) that you should help a car in distress whenever you can.
Thank goodness for Canada's good Samaritan laws.

But kind hearted Canadians are often ill equiped in their cars (no flares, no sand, no salt, no reflective vests, nothing) and then they want to help a car in distress.

I'd like to point out that this week, in an article that wasn't really covered very much, a husband and wife who were headed to Vancouver for a trip to Hawaii stopped to help a car that ran off the road. Both adults were hit by a car/truck and the wife died yesterday in hospital, leaving the kids who were unhurt in the car, left without a mom.

Guys, I know helping others is a Canadian trait we take pride in. But please, be prepared. Have an emergency kit in your car at all times. Because being ill prepared to help is worse than helping and then making the situation a thousand times worse.
There's some things I'm conservative about. There's some things I'm liberal about.
Daspoot
Übergod

Re: If you are going to help a car in distress...

Post by Daspoot »

I stopped yesterday to help two young ladies stuck in the deep snow along the curb of a side street. I pulled over and walked to the back of the car and said "do you need a push"?. No response from the girl up by the front tire.but she kept telling the driver to turn the wheel this way and that. I pushed anyways and could feel it wouldn't take much to get it free. A nieghbour from across the street started walking over to help and came to the back of the car and again asked if they needed help. no direct response again. I finally told them to straighten the wheel, which the pusher girl relayed to the driver who complied. one shove from me and the nice neighbour and she was on her way, and by that I mean into the cleared road and drove away with nary a wave or the slightest pause. The girl who was pushing turned and went back to the house with zero a knowledgement of us either. The nice neighbour and I exchanged puzzled looks and thanked each other for the help and I was on my way again. Probably one of the stranger and rudest exchanges I've been involved in in quite a while. Not a big deal. I wasn't doing it for recognition anyways. It's just the right thing to do right? ....like saying "thanks"...
On a different forum
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

I saw that video of the jeep and semi truck and all I could think was they were not using flares and the highway had heavy traffic on it. I was waiting for that nylon line to snap and the jeep to go flying into traffic or a passing vehicle to slam into them both.

All that risk to the public just so Mr Trucker could get his A&W coffee.

I love how Peachland has turned into a unofficial truck stop and I especially love slowing down on the highway to wait for truckers to waddle across the road to get their greasy fix. It's not like I have the right of way on a highway or anything - take your time buddy. Stroll.
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I saw that bit on FB myself this morning and thought that could have turned into a major 'cluster'.

Living on the speedway to Big White it never ceases to amaze me how unprepared drivers are when they head up this way.

I stopped to help a guy once and he was using his windshield wiper scraper as a shovel to try to dig his car out of the bank.

Told me he. "took the corner a little fast".

As far as the not thanking response...typical.

We've had people come up to our place expecting us to provide them with fuel or a ride or tow and when we haven't been

able to help them, as expected, we've gotten some pretty interesting comments. One young man was so POed he

kicked our gate and put a dent in it.

Despite those bad instances we are always will to jump in and help whenever we can.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

First I thought of when seeing the jeep pulling the Semi, is how twisted is frame on jeep after that.

Good on the jeep owner to help though
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

There is no "frame" on that jeep. It's a uni body. And he wasn't pulling it all that hard. Pulling out stuck wheelers in mud is alot harder than a semi that is in gear on relatively flat ground.
But seriously good on the jeep owner for helping and doing a damn good job of it. Kudos

And yes I know what I'm talking about as a wheeler and a semi driver
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Feb 11th, 2017, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Feb 11th, 2017, 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: previous posters comment removed.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
django
Board Meister

Post by django »

Daspoot wrote:I stopped yesterday to help two young ladies stuck in the deep snow along the curb of a side street. I pulled over and walked to the back of the car and said "do you need a push"?. No response from the girl up by the front tire.but she kept telling the driver to turn the wheel this way and that. I pushed anyways and could feel it wouldn't take much to get it free. A nieghbour from across the street started walking over to help and came to the back of the car and again asked if they needed help. no direct response again. I finally told them to straighten the wheel, which the pusher girl relayed to the driver who complied. one shove from me and the nice neighbour and she was on her way, and by that I mean into the cleared road and drove away with nary a wave or the slightest pause. The girl who was pushing turned and went back to the house with zero a knowledgement of us either. The nice neighbour and I exchanged puzzled looks and thanked each other for the help and I was on my way again. Probably one of the stranger and rudest exchanges I've been involved in in quite a while. Not a big deal. I wasn't doing it for recognition anyways. It's just the right thing to do right? ....like saying "thanks"...

Sometimes I think the ditch is the best place for these people, makes the roads a little safer for the rest of us. I also would have walked away without helping if they couldn't acknowledge my presence.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Some, not all, people that are stuck can just stay there. It makes the roadways safer.

A few years ago up at Big White, A E350 van stuck in the parking lot, my friends said,
"lets go help them out."
Me; "Look at their crap tires, leave them be, If we help them out, they will be ahead of us
on the drive down and likely cause more grief than good!"

We left them there !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Grab Bag”