Texting

A potpourri of off-topics.

Do you text using your two thumbs or one or more of your other fingers?

I text using my thumbs
33%
I text using my index finger(s)
53%
Other
13%

Total votes: 15

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Texting

Post by Urbane »

Perhaps I'm just clumsy with my thumbs but on my iPhone I usually text with the index finger on my right hand. When I see people texting on TV they always seem to be texting with their thumbs and texting entire paragraphs within a few seconds. So I'm curious. How do you text?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Texting

Post by Lady tehMa »

My teenagers text with both thumbs, and they text at high speed. I'm like you Urbane - and I'm much slower than they are.
I haven't failed until I quit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Don't have to worry about it, since I don't text. Way to big of a hassle texting using my old flip phone. I use my phone to actually talk to other person, oh and never behind the steering wheel.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

My fingers are too fat, so I can only use one.

Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

GordonH wrote:Don't have to worry about it, since I don't text. Way to big of a hassle texting using my old flip phone. I use my phone to actually talk to other person, oh and never behind the steering wheel.
You talk to people rather than text?? What a strange concept. :D
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

The new phones have pretty good voice to text . Lol
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Urbane, there's two of us, I also have never sent a text.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Queen K wrote:Urbane, there's two of us, I also have never sent a text.
That's Gordon who talks to people rather than texting. I do both but I'm just too clumsy to use my thumbs. One index finger for me and I'm not that fast. I can probably type about 50 wpm here on my keyboard but texting? I'm slow!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Flip phone from the last Century.
Works good for talking on.

Texting: K thx ttyl haha
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

You're missing out on a very effective form of communication. Texting doesn't replace talking in all scenarios, but it's extremely good for a lot of things. It seems you're able to have some very lively discussions here by typing to people using a keyboard. Texting is just typing on a smaller keyboard.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

What he said^^
. I'm using Swype on my android. One finger input and a fantastic... still proficient at both thumbs and fingers, and will use both thumbs and index. Predominantly right thumb and left index for Swype keyboard while traditional text both thumbs. Your question is loaded in a manner of speaking, am I lying on my back, on my side, predictive text and AI learnt patterns etc. Most of the time predictive works but it also learns from our spelling mistakes and suggests that mistake first argh.

There's no right way, just the the easy that's right for you.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

No matter what, ^^^ always preview or proof read D'oh
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Android does fairly good job with voice to text too. If I have to send a message, I simply say "ok google", send a message to so and so. Text sometimes can come out funny, but for the most part it's good. I basically don't have to touch the phone at all and waste time typing up the message. Works really good for short messages like "I'm 10 minutes away" or "On my way" or "Come downstairs".

Very efficient. And no typing.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I keep forgetting that I can talk instead of type when texting but more often than not what appears on the screen is something outlandish. I guess I need to slow down and enunciate! Anyway, as an index finger texter I'm happy to see that I'm not alone.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm all alone, excepting dirtybiker, in havin' never texted. :cry:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Grab Bag”