Worst neighbourhood to live in in Kelowna?

A potpourri of off-topics.
Hermes
Fledgling

Worst neighbourhood to live in in Kelowna?

Post by Hermes »

Here I speak of violent crime and poverty. Most places have 'the other side of the tracks'. Where are the tracks? I was amazed in Washington DC to see ghettos and very old money right beside each other (separate but in very close proximity).

When I was searching for an ENT who didn't have a two-year waiting lists I learned from a book Navigating Canada's Healthcare System that one trick is to seek outside the metropolitan area. I took it one step further, chose a doctor in the boonies with a sexual harassment suit pending! It worked. I got an appointment within 1 month!

Likewise, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Where would you never want to live in Kelowna? The rents are probably cheap.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Worst neighbourhood to live in in Kelowna?

Post by dirtybiker »

Welcome.
Good luck with your questions, be wary of the answers.
Tough crowd.

(give me a little credit, this is far nicer than what I deleted) :D :smt045
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

Welcome to Kelowna, where the rent isn't cheap anywhere and every neighborhood has its problems.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Drive around.

Junkers on the lawn, peeps hanging around, gangs of "broskis" on the deck, crappy music played on crappy 1980's music systems, badly kept yards, accumulated depreciated assets, secondary suites, rotting fences, dogs running wild, old 1970's nylon sofas on the porch, broken windows, a home based auto business, rusting "project cars", cling wrap double glazing.

Could be any neighbourhood. Signs and signals to stay clear.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Hermes wrote:Here I speak of violent crime and poverty. Most places have 'the other side of the tracks'. Where are the tracks? I was amazed in Washington DC to see ghettos and very old money right beside each other (separate but in very close proximity).

When I was searching for an ENT who didn't have a two-year waiting lists I learned from a book Navigating Canada's Healthcare System that one trick is to seek outside the metropolitan area. I took it one step further, chose a doctor in the boonies with a sexual harassment suit pending! It worked. I got an appointment within 1 month!

Likewise, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Where would you never want to live in Kelowna? The rents are probably cheap.

i live in rutland, most of the area is very nice,but hands down hein road is baaaaad
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

And everything you just described for only $575K...
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

the truth wrote:
Hermes wrote:Here I speak of violent crime and poverty. Most places have 'the other side of the tracks'. Where are the tracks? I was amazed in Washington DC to see ghettos and very old money right beside each other (separate but in very close proximity).

i live in rutland, most of the area is very nice,but hands down hein road is baaaaad

I grew up in the Hein area... You'd be amazed at the sense of community there.

Not from there, though? Name not known? Don't​ have an 'in'? Not invited?

You have no business on that block, and while I can't speak for things at present -- in my more formative years you may very well have been reminded right quick.

Rutland overall is fantastic in richness of culture, depth of opportunity for developing lifelong friendships, and ability to plant roots for generations. Can't ask for more...

I would never live in 'new' Glenmore or any of the new developments: cookie cutter design, zero character, no green space, nowhere for kids to run, and no shoes on the powerlines.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

We got character in Glenmore, cuz I live there...
Glenmore back in the day was a real neighborhood, many of us still live here.., lots of folks been her thirty to sixty years or longer... But there is a lot of newbies.
I just came from a ride, was at a green space behind where our family built a house in 73.. Next door neighbors still live there. My sisters neigbors are finally pulling out and selling..been there and built the place 50 years ago..
Even in our newish subdivision, we been here over 20 years..
There is bad and good parts all over.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

My apologies as I should have clarified... By 'no green space' I was more referring to the lack of yard space in the new subdivisions with all the cookie cutter houses so tightly packed together -- like we see all over now with every lot being .10 acres or less.

I used to live in 'Old Glenmore' -- love that area and agree that does have a lot of character homes and a lot of green spaces still preserved here and there. Duck pond was always a family favourite when the kids were toddlers...

I can say that if we are speaking to response to the OP, I wouldn't really classify Glenmore as a base for good old violent crime all too often.
Klerossignol

Post by Klerossignol »

Dogwood Estates burtch road
This seemingly lovely central townhouse complex is full of nosy cranky bitchy retired blue hairs. With nothing better to do then Gossip and complain. There is not adequate parking, irrigation, nor recycling.
The strata board is ridiculousness they hire the the Cheapest contractors around, no liability insurance like to get paid more then what work you actually do? perfect dogwood estates Will hire you. It feels like you’re living in an episode of fear thy neighbour or the hand maidens tail.

Return to “Grab Bag”