Bad writing or....?

A potpourri of off-topics.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Bad writing or....?

Post by LANDM »

Just read the "Pot Facility" article https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-196952-101-.htm#196952
I'm sure the Indian band in West Kelowna would wonder about ""Patience and persistence and little bit of nativity thrown in there too," said Kitsch of the four year wait." when referring to his West Kelowna facility.

When he says ""I'm part of the open-minded set, and I believe cannabis has had a bad reputation or a lot of years, and I'm really part of the cannabis future. I believe the positive benefits of healing far outweigh the negative benefits.
I wonder what the "negative benefits" are. I also wonder why they didn't put a quote at the end, when there was one at the beginning and the next paragraph start with another quote.

When he says "The cannabis people currently consume from the streets or from dispensaries is often supplied from the gray or black market and is not quality assured. It hasn't been tested by a second party. Any Heath Canada cannabis is tested by a second party, so patients can be assured they are smoking something that won't be harmful to them.", does he actually mean the other party to a contract, who is the second party, would be doing the testing? Wouldn't it be better to have a third party do the testing? After all, they would be independent. Or does he mean each buyer actually has to test the product themselves?

Finally, does "I believe we are going to have a very high quality product that is not as mass produced. More hand-crafted, more high quality." mean a greater volume of high quality product or does he mean a higher quality product. And does "more hand-crafted" mean less efficient? Does it mean all weed is hand crafted but they have more hands involved in theirs?

For some reason, after reading this article, I visualized the reporter and the subject doing a lot of first and second personal testing of the product prior to the interview and the subsequent writing.
You and 71 others Like this post
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Bad writing or....?

Post by Bsuds »

I think it was a spelling mistake and took it to supposed to be "naivete"'.

As with many articles I read these days the authors command of the English language to be poor.
Mine is not the best by any means but I see lots of mistakes and proof reading to be non existent.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
spooker

Post by spooker »

We depend on computers these days to catch our mistakes for us ... but how many times have you seen "the the" and "hear" instead of "here" ...

It's spelled correctly so nothing flags us to the fact that it's the wrong word ... and when we read what we write, very often we see what we meant to write instead of what's actually there ... same reason why computer programmers should never be allowed to test their own software, they know what was meant, they won't look at it with unbiased eyes ...
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

Typical business man anyway.

'blah blah blah "I'm here to make a lot of money off pot" blah blah blah'.

Quotes intended.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

Could have been a spelling checker auto-correct gone wrong, too.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
marooned
Board Meister

Post by marooned »

The author of this article spends zero time proofing his writing. I will read a Castanet article with an abuse of commas and series of errors as above, and I won't even need to check the name of the reporter. You'd expect better from someone paid to produce content of any kind.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

It's quite funny, folks making such a scene about nativity....! Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck...! :laugh:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn

Return to “Grab Bag”