Why can't I block TV Ads.

A potpourri of off-topics.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Why can't I block TV Ads.

Post by Bsuds »

So why can't I block certain TV ads like on Facebook?

It would sure be nice to block annoying ads or ones we have seen 500 times (today)!

I don't care if keeping up with the Fatassians is returning to TV. I never have and never will watch it.

Pretty much any other reality TV show either. They just don't interest me.

I will be happy when we get back to watching recorded shows so I can fast forward through the crap.

end rant...lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Why can't I block TV Ads.

Post by Queen K »

....and thus, Netflix was born.

Seriously, you don't want to watch urinary leakage underwear ads until you're convinced you need them?
Not ready to move into a retirement home?

You will be....soon, just another few 500 ads...MUWhhaaaaa <evil laugh>
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

With telus now they have the option to start a show from the beginning if you turn it on half way through but you can't fast forward thru the ads either, grrrrr

better of to PVR and skip the ads that way
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

gman313 wrote:With telus now they have the option to start a show from the beginning if you turn it on half way through but you can't fast forward thru the ads either, grrrrr

better of to PVR and skip the ads that way

Which is what I do with first run shows but with all the reruns or sports it doesn't always work.
Hurry up with the new season!

We watch a lot of Crave shows right now.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

This is a white hot issue for me too, especially at News time. The repetitive ads constantly being an interruption...I almost froth at the mouth when THAT isn't enough, but the channel also chimes in, advertising its OWN news hour! Honestly, the newscaster barely can get out two sentences before they go to another "break" for more ads.

As to movies I use dvds from the library (OAS and CPP doesn't allow much for spending on more then basic TV). I will watch Knowledge and PBS when there is something on that appeals to me. At least those stations have minimal ads or else lump them together instead of constant program interuptions.

I have complained to TV stations about this irritation without success. They are owned by big corporations that decide how many and when ad times are. Advertising agencies place the large corporation ads and do not want to miss out on any opportunities as they get paid from a billing arrangement with the big corporates (dog food, adult diapers, and the like).

Local advertisers we can and should influence to knock back on the same ads shown multiple times within a short span of time. Unless we yelp, we will not be heard.

How I miss taping the news on my long gone, old and sadly missed VHS. Tape, watch, skip ahead...in ten minutes it's done with no gnashing of teeth.

Rise up Sheeple! We can make change happen!

End of rant.
:130:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote:Rise up Sheeple! We can make change happen!

End of rant.
:130:

As long as the Ads are what's paying for the air time we will not see a change. I don't think we want to see what it would cost us for TV without advertising. We pay enough already.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

This is why I really enjoy (as well support) a number of the programs on the Knowledge Network (well the commercial free shows).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Grab Bag”