Weird things your pets do....

A potpourri of off-topics.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Let's see. Our one cat is fascinated with watching the toilet flush, and our female calico licks us incessantly! Face, fingers whatever! Agh! Sooo gross!
This signature may be a forgery.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

krusty wrote:That sounds like a death sentence as well. Maybe worse.

Adult cats rarely are rarely adopted out of the SPCA, and I don't think they hang on to them for more than a week or two before they euthanise them. Cutting him loose seemed like the best option to give him a fighting chance. I'm too much of a wimp to off him myself, and he can't stay here.
Roo
Guru

Post by Roo »

fluffy wrote:

Adult cats rarely are rarely adopted out of the SPCA, and I don't think they hang on to them for more than a week or two before they euthanise them. Cutting him loose seemed like the best option to give him a fighting chance. I'm too much of a wimp to off him myself, and he can't stay here.

Adult cats are adopted from the SPCA - might take a bit longer than cute kittens but they do find a home. The SPCA only euthanises if the animal is too sick, gravely injured, or is feral and can't be tamed.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

fluffy wrote:

I was in the SPCA a few months ago. The Kelowna one DOES NOT euthanize healthy cats.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I got my kitty there 3 years ago (the one I actually own) She's a darling, was about 2 years old at the time. To be honest I have no idea how long she'd actually been in the shelter. So I couldn't say for sure if they off cats after they've been there for a week or two.
Just letting you know that sometimes people adopt adult animals.

I do think (not positive) that if you drop an animal off at the shelter they expect you to pay something. Not sure if its a mandatory thing or not.

I will confess to taking one of our cats (years ago) for a long drive off a short country rd. He was eating our hens. I got mad and tossed him in the car.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

gardengirl wrote:The Kelowna one DOES NOT euthanize healthy cats.

I'm not sure what the situation is here in Penticton since they opened the new shelter, but the old one was small and crowded. Animals not adopted fairly promptly didn't exactly have a promising future. There were health issues at the old shelter too, their reputation suffered pretty badly for a while.
Roo
Guru

Post by Roo »

fluffy wrote:
gardengirl wrote:The Kelowna one DOES NOT euthanize healthy cats.

I'm not sure what the situation is here in Penticton since they opened the new shelter, but the old one was small and crowded. Animals not adopted fairly promptly didn't exactly have a promising future. There were health issues at the old shelter too, their reputation suffered pretty badly for a while.

Penticton has the same policy as Kelowna. In fact, they had a huge older female named Mrs. Buttersworth who was with them for at least 9 months before she got adopted.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Roo wrote:Penticton has the same policy as Kelowna. In fact, they had a huge older female named Mrs. Buttersworth who was with them for at least 9 months before she got adopted.

This is something fairly recent then. The place was in turmoil for quite a while, high staff turnover, management changes, lots of bad publicity in the papers. It's good to hear that things have changed for the better.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The little bugger is back already. He was hanging around when I came home for lunch today. I have to admit I'm more than a little impressed that he managed to cover the same territory in less than two days that took him two months last time. I should have checked his pockets before I dropped him off, he must have had bus fare tucked away. So I'm back where I was two days ago, with the possible exception that I don't hate him quite as much now as I did when my ear was full of juice.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Maybe pop by the spca and see if they can help you out fluffy. Maybe give you one of thoes free neuter coupons or something.
wouldn't hurt to ask

*edited to add* sounds like a pretty awesome cat, maybe worth keeping
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

It wasn't a huge distance, maybe three or four kms at best, but there are geographical obstacles in between, rivers, main thoroughfares and the like. Certainly a healthy jaunt for under two days.

Yeah, he's earned himself a reprieve. We'll see how the money goes, maybe I can get some satisfaction by just evicting his nuts. It's a safe bet they won't find their way back.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

ROFL :123: :124:
Excellent!!!!
~ Terry Pratchett
Roo
Guru

Post by Roo »

fluffy wrote:It wasn't a huge distance, maybe three or four kms at best, but there are geographical obstacles in between, rivers, main thoroughfares and the like. Certainly a healthy jaunt for under two days.

Yeah, he's earned himself a reprieve. We'll see how the money goes, maybe I can get some satisfaction by just evicting his nuts. It's a safe bet they won't find their way back.

Neutering will help with the spraying ... my male Siamese did that once and was at the vets the next morning.

Call the Penticton SPCA - not sure if they offer a low-cost spay/neuter clinic like Prince George but should be able to direct you to one of the vets they use.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i guess i like rabbits because they never do anything weird. well...okay, these two seem to think that when we sit at the computer we are in the way and have to grab either your sock or slipper and shake your foot, or they just butt your foot several times with their heads to get you out of the way (even though we really aren't in the way). but that isn't weird really. i mean, they are rabbits, and just about everything a rabbit does is cute. :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
morego

Weird animals!

Post by morego »

My Malamute X Wolf likes to "hold hands". If we're going for a walk he'll gently take hold of my hand and lead me around for as long as I can handle the slobber. Who needs a leash?!! He also "walks" my Husky. We put a leash on her and put the end with the hand loop in his mouth. He gladly prances around with her under his control until they get tangled around a post of some sort... It's pretty darn cute, and people LOVE to watch them when we go for walks around downtown Kelowna!

Return to “Grab Bag”