Milk dispensers

A potpourri of off-topics.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Milk dispensers

Post by Catsumi »

I bet this was a good pie to enjoy. From my part of the country, Sask., berry pies were the norm, or rhubarb, apple rarely as they had to be shipped from BC.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, I freeze milk and creamo. Thaw in fridge
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Don't forget the ice cream..oh that ice cream..

Arms weary and tired, hardly lift them after cranking that handle for what seemed like forever.

Oh, baby, it was so, so, worth it.. :smt045
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Catsumi wrote:When I was just knee high to a grasshopper, (Saskatoon) I have fond memories of milk delivery door to door, in glass bottles with paper tops.

And after the horses came the two tone green Co-op round body step vans.
And the blue and white Mcgavins bread vans, also doing door to door service.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

dirtybiker wrote:
Catsumi wrote:When I was just knee high to a grasshopper, (Saskatoon) I have fond memories of milk delivery door to door, in glass bottles with paper tops.

And after the horses came the two tone green Co-op round body step vans.
And the blue and white Mcgavins bread vans, also doing door to door service.

Icecream was heavenly. We sure ate well back then....real food that I can still taste and smell mentally. Roasted chickens and turkeys that wafted their aromas over the whole neighbourhood. Freshly baked bread, incomparable. Was it that the flour was different back then?

I do recall the McGavins bread delivery truck (didn't they have polka dots painted on the truck sides?) but not the Co-op.

For a couple of years there was also a fruitman who delivered his wares in a walk-in truck. My first taste of pineapples and coconuts was a revelation. Treats!
[icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Now you mention the polka dots, I believe you are right. Hahahaha..
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Never had delivery on the farm but used to see all those modes in Regina when I visited cousins. One of my favorites was home made bread. Dad had a chopper for chopping grain for cattle and he would run wheat and whatever through it multiple times to get it as fine as we could and mom would make "real" whole wheat bread. On Sunday dad and I would do the shake the jar of cream bit mentioned earlier to make fresh butter while mom baked whole wheat bread and buns. We would eat fresh butter on warm bread and drink fresh butter milk. Still have the wooden butter bowl, paddle and pound maker but no waxed wrapping papers. We should have been fat but I guess lots of good hard work cured that problem. Sorry CF about all the off topic but you brought back some great memories. Best dispensers of all, cows, and truly fresh milk products.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ah yes, the best milk dispenser I ever met was my aunt's Holstein. Hand milked, in the barn, milking pail, milking stool, me following her around, cow patties and flies and the straw. Stray cats. Barn cats. Not friendly, I tried. I can't remember when they stopped having a milking cow, I believe I was only around 5 or 6 when I was first aware they even had one.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Smurf wrote:Never had delivery on the farm but used to see all those modes in Regina when I visited cousins. One of my favorites was home made bread. Dad had a chopper for chopping grain for cattle and he would run wheat and whatever through it multiple times to get it as fine as we could and mom would make "real" whole wheat bread. On Sunday dad and I would do the shake the jar of cream bit mentioned earlier to make fresh butter while mom baked whole wheat bread and buns. We would eat fresh butter on warm bread and drink fresh butter milk. Still have the wooden butter bowl, paddle and pound maker but no waxed wrapping papers. We should have been fat but I guess lots of good hard work cured that problem. Sorry CF about all the off topic but you brought back some great memories. Best dispensers of all, cows, and truly fresh milk products.

For me it was fresh baked bread and tall glass of fresh milk with a scoop of nestles quik.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Once we got rid of our milk cows and had only one jersey left for ourselves she was so quiet she let us milk her anywhere. You could walk to the edge of the pasture, call her and she would come a let you milk her wherever, never move.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Looking through these posts, recalling the good old days, I think about today's youngsters who may never, even once, have the simple pleasures we enjoyed.

They will never know the taste of truly fresh (direct from the cow) milk, butter from same, insanely good home baked bread, eggs less than an hour old, meats that were so astonishingly tasty and delicious.

Today all is pasteurized, processed, deflavored, overseasoned, government regulated and then recalled, fishfarmed, packaged to death, or manufactured from strange things.

Oh well, how can you miss what you never had? :cry:

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Oh God Catsumi, you got it bang on. ^^ Which is why this present generation is sicker than those elderly people out there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I seen this dispenser on the news, knowing it is actually at the dairy farm is good. Then cleaning is not as much of a concern.

Having something like this at your local grocery store would be a terrible idea, just have to say 1 word bacteria.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Grab Bag”