Trees

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Trees

Post by Queen K »

Today I'm having five trees removed from my property. I didn't expect to be so emotional about it, but I am :cry:

I have a tri-dominant trunked Silver Maple that is threatening my two buildings, house and back building. It has to go.

The tree Silver Maples behind my fence are actually preventing me from fencing where my real property line is, they may as well be taken out while the tree aborist is here.

The tree that sits in the middle of a fence line? It is also a Silver Maple and has to go. I hate the gap. Back when I fenced I didn't have money to take it out. My dad with a chainsaw took out trees from the backally, but thank god that didn't go horribly wrong. Dad also cut the huge Chinese Elm "fence" that was stuck in my chainlink the first week I was here. Boy was I mad, I needed that shade in 2003 because we had that heat wave, remember that one? LOL. Eventually I got the stumps ground out, sorta, they did a lousy job, I ended up hand digging out wood for three years after.

I had to have a huge Chinese Elm removed as it was evident it was sick, City of Kelowna did it. Charged me for half, the cheap...... :cuss: :swear:

So today, environmentalist, some would say "leaf licker" has to say good bye to five trees. They host birds and squirrels, provide oxygen and take up excess ground water. I am going to have to hang on to why they have to go.

What is it about trees? :cry:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Trees

Post by normaM »

best hope we don't have a hot Summer, neighbour removed a big tree and last summer my A/c bill spiked. Miss that tree as do all the songbirds
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Hot Summer or not, the tree is dangerous. It's big and leaning directly in our roof line. Can't worry about a/c 'til later.

And yes, for 14 years these trees have had it good.

I found a dead squirrel where the tree trunks meet. We named him "Chip" and gave him a proper burial.

If I have my way, three more trees will die on the neighbours property. Horse Chestanut, and two Chinese Elm.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

its ok they die quietly I'm sure your gutters will appreciate them gone
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Maybe we should have a Castamutt wiener roast.
Black Dogs Matter
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I will miss those trees, no doubt.

Proud to be a "leaf licker." :up:
Last edited by Queen K on Apr 17th, 2018, 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

LTD wrote:its ok they die quietly I'm sure your gutters will appreciate them gone

Yes, that's the other issue, gutter damage and branches on the roof of two buildings.

I have an whole plan of attack on the backyard after this is all done. Addition, new deck, hottub, gazbo, and the back building will be reno'ed into a three season bedroom if I don't make it a student rental.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

dogspoiler wrote:Maybe we should have a Castamutt wiener roast.

Not a bad idea, I'll add one of those propane fireplace units and have a g2g. :biggrin:
You bring the hot sauce, k?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Glad it isn't going to be a squirrel roast. Elms such messy trees. Felt badly when they razed all the lovely trees on one property to make room for 3 houses.
Meanwhile I get my gutters filled with trees from as far away as the creek.
If you don't have a/c what about one of those room kinds? Works well in the houses i've been to that use them.
Chip will be missed
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I just hope we don't find Dale. :cry: RIP Chip.

Yes, I am so sick of the way things are in the back that I am willing to put in an addition and completely re-align my garden shed and how we see the side yard. Plants will have to be moved/given away or done in.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Queen K wrote:
Not a bad idea, I'll add one of those propane fireplace units and have a g2g. :biggrin:
You bring the hot sauce, k?

You missed the idea about all the firewood didntcha ?
Black Dogs Matter
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Firewood has a new home already. And I didn't think we could have camp fires downtown Kelowna. Good idea! Bring in those handsome firefighters!

A few houses down, they took out a beautiful Walnut tree. i won't find walnuts growing my gardens anymore from it as the squirrels will have no food.

It's an environmental holocaust in my neighbourhood. :200:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

well i know here it was over planted, and i bet some roots travel half a block or more.
glad someone getting firewood
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, the Chinese Elm has a huge root habit, some of the Chinese Elm roots are are large as tree trunks, god knows I dug them out by hand five years ago. Not to mention how long they get across the yard when unimpeded.

I see all kinds of trees felled and cut up for firewood all over Kelowna.

Is anyone actually PLANTING trees?

Anywhere?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I just took photos of our soon to be dead trees :200:

And there are no leaves out to be licked. :cry:

Gotta admit, most of us spit out our coffee when we read Gone_Fishin's leaf-licker comment.

Return to “Grab Bag”