Front yard tree got mutilated

A potpourri of off-topics.
Jlabute
Guru

Front yard tree got mutilated

Post by Jlabute »

Hi everyone,
I’m on a main road near power lines and a few years back I think the city took a chunk from a large maple tree near the side walk and under power lines on my side of a brick fence. After their job a few years back my tree went from well sculpted to looking like an apple logo. Just a few days ago, a much larger chunk was taken and I can’t say why since it wasn’t close to the power lines from the last surgery, and now my 70yo tree looks like a 1/4 pie slice was ripped from it. Looks horrible. Without my permission, leaving a note on my door or anything. Is this normal? I feel violated.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Front yard tree got mutilated

Post by Catsumi »

Your TREE was violated, abused and attacked. I personally am sick of the disregard for trees, their health, and the unrelenting attack upon them. At the same time, Siberian Elm, (those dime sized seeds everywhere), Russian Olive and other invasive and noxious trees are allowed to flourish.

Make an issue out of this assault. I will help you.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Where’s Treeguy when you need him :popcorn:
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

Treeguy has downsized, he no longer mutilates trees. He now does posts.
Black Dogs Matter
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

The red maple has been turned in to more of a pancake. I find this really disheartening. They took off so much tree it won't be anywhere near the power lines for another 40 years or more.

my_maple_tree.jpg
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

It’s not the city it is the power company (Fortis or B.C. Hydro) that owns the lines. They have contractors, usually Aspundh or Davey Tree, that have Certified Utility Arborists their one and only mandate is line clearance. Not even a twig can be within 10’ of their transmission lines.

A decent CUA will do their best to make it look good but they are far and few between.

They own that right-a-way and can do whatever they need to do to manage it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Thanks TreeGuy. So no point in calling them up to tell them they suck? :-)
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

486BD77B-4179-4739-B854-F5CDF54D569D.jpeg

Some nice examples of line clearance. It can be done right but that takes effort.

FAD7E7B9-3E54-4362-B012-91340CBFC76E.jpeg

F348A421-9A13-49C6-9A84-B68DB13CAE73.jpeg
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

lol, uh-huh :-)
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Here is a local example near the corner of Cadder and Richter. Notice the tunnel that has been created for the lines to travel through. The tree has been since hacked on for the building of a new home on the lot to the left.

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 1.01.40 PM.png
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

The city is allowed - sorry but your precious tree is much less important that maintaining power for an entire neighborhood during a windstorm,
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Yes you're right, the city is allowed. Of course, the city is also allowed to knock on my door and ask me if I would like to cut the tree myself before they perform a hate-cut on it. :-)

As I mentioned, two years ago a tiny nibble was removed which was enough to satisfy their requirements. At that time, a wind strong enough to rip a three ton tree from the ground and send it vertical in the air 20 feet would have taken out power lines and your precious power, and every home in Kelowna. Falling over would not have hit power lines. Now two years later, they probably thought to themselves "hey, we've been here before, and we don't wanna come back for another 30 years, screw this".

So now, unless I want an ugly tree, I have to pay to fix it, which I would have had to done in the first place.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Few days ago I notice a place just north of Raymer on Richter it appears they took the trees right out. All there is now large pile of fire wood.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Jlabute wrote:Yes you're right, the city is allowed. Of course, the city is also allowed to knock on my door and ask me if I would like to cut the tree myself before they perform a hate-cut on it. :-)

As I mentioned, two years ago a tiny nibble was removed which was enough to satisfy their requirements. At that time, a wind strong enough to rip a three ton tree from the ground and send it vertical in the air 20 feet would have taken out power lines and your precious power, and every home in Kelowna. Falling over would not have hit power lines. Now two years later, they probably thought to themselves "hey, we've been here before, and we don't wanna come back for another 30 years, screw this".

So now, unless I want an ugly tree, I have to pay to fix it, which I would have had to done in the first place.

Long term, the best solution is to take the tree down and replace it with a species that won’t grow up into the right of way.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Or perhaps take it out all-together and change the landscaping in that area. So expensive to prune trees. How much is it to completely remove a tree?

Return to “Grab Bag”