Working Hard or Hardly Working

A potpourri of off-topics.
rush

Re: Working Hard or Hardly Working

Post by rush »

Ha.I like this thread. Its a relevant topic. me 40 hours.Got a few years left to retire.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

48 for my employer. Many more for myself. I am struggling. Drowning in bills. Somehow i make ends meet each month.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

40 hours a week. I understand where I am is planning a downsizing on hours though, I won't know what that looks like until it happens. I may take a position with significantly lower hours so I can work for myself again with ease.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Up until July of 2017 I was running my own business working 7 days a week all hours of the day. I enjoyed having my own business.

People often working that much eventually hit the wall. Me, I hit the ground after falling from 10’.

Now I don’t work. I want to work. Not for a lack of trying. I miss working. 20 years in my industry and I loved what I do.

That being said, balance is important. My pendulum swung from one side to the other in a matter of seconds.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Anywhere between 40 to 80 hours per week, depending on business requirements.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

TreeGuy wrote:Up until July of 2017 I was running my own business working 7 days a week all hours of the day. I enjoyed having my own business.

People often working that much eventually hit the wall. Me, I hit the ground after falling from 10’.

Now I don’t work. I want to work. Not for a lack of trying. I miss working. 20 years in my industry and I loved what I do.

That being said, balance is important. My pendulum swung from one side to the other in a matter of seconds.

I was in the same boat until a few months ago. I was working like a dog, haven't taken more than a week off in 16 years. I was constantly connected to work via cell and email. I forgot how to relax and I felt tired all the time and just thought I wasn't sleeping enough (which was also true).......then I hit the wall you mentioned....i randomly passed out at work and developed an anxiety disorder from the days and weeks of medical testing trying to find out why it happened.....and not getting any answers. I'm healthy as a horse apparently...and never had any problems with anxiety or stress or any medical issues. Ever.

I ended up on medical leave as I would have a panic attack every time I went in to work. I was fired while on leave as my company didn't think I would ever return.....they offered me a massive severance if I promised not to sue for wrongful dismissal. My body actually thought I was in danger if I went back to that place, hence the panic attacks. It just couldn't do it any longer.

Anyway, I've been slowly learning how to relax and balance play with work. I look back at what happened and can't believe I lasted as long as I did doing that to myself.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

zerograv wrote:I was in the same boat until a few months ago. I was working like a dog, haven't taken more than a week off in 16 years. I was constantly connected to work via cell and email. I forgot how to relax and I felt tired all the time and just thought I wasn't sleeping enough (which was also true).......then I hit the wall you mentioned....i randomly passed out at work and developed an anxiety disorder from the days and weeks of medical testing trying to find out why it happened.....and not getting any answers. I'm healthy as a horse apparently...and never had any problems with anxiety or stress or any medical issues. Ever.

I ended up on medical leave as I would have a panic attack every time I went in to work. I was fired while on leave as my company didn't think I would ever return.....they offered me a massive severance if I promised not to sue for wrongful dismissal. My body actually thought I was in danger if I went back to that place, hence the panic attacks. It just couldn't do it any longer.

Anyway, I've been slowly learning how to relax and balance play with work. I look back at what happened and can't believe I lasted as long as I did doing that to myself.

Yikes.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

Min 60H a week. Had a few month that where 100H a week. Get tiring fast, sound strange but I am trying to get the hours cut back.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

It depends on how you define "work". I average 30 hours a week at the job I actually get paid for.

Being a wife, mom, homeowner, however, those numbers stack up a bit.

Working on the garden yesterday - and I still haven't blown out hoses and put the food garden to bed. I did dig out some dead rosebushes (wearing the scars of that proudly - looks like I ran into a rabid cat) and dig one a live rosebush that had gone wild. Much work yet to be done.
I haven't failed until I quit.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Work too much to stay healthy, not enough to stay ahead.

Also due to significant injuries, forced to work less as my body and mind
both shut down on me. so during busy times
only 55-60 hrs every 5 days.

Slow times spent at the gym, physio, etc. prepping for
the busy times.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I am fully retired but have not been able to shed my "work" ethic. I can't sit around, watch TV, go for endless lunches or visits...that is ok now and again.

A day where I have not learned something new or accomplished something tangible is a wasted day, hence I am always busy with something or other. I have a responsible volunteer job, sew, garden somewhat, do artwork, spend time at lake resort swimming, study various subjects, practice culinary arts.

Always have my ipad beside me listening to books as I work and keep a close eye on C-net postings. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I am not retired and have no plans to because the beautiful thing about my work life is that I dictate the workload, the hours, the days. As much or as little as I want. I get out of everyday what I need, sometimes in 3 hours, sometimes in 10.

Not having to punch a clock is the best type of work environment.

It takes discipline to work from home but I have been doing so for many years and I can't imagine working in an office environment. Too distracting and noisy.

For me, it was never about the work; it was having to be at a certain place every day at specific times. Having to wait to take lunch on a rotating shcedule. HAving specific times for coffee breaks and not being able to come and go as I pleased. I hated that life from the very beginning but I stuck with it because that was what you did.

My philosophy about work is that you do what you have to do to get it done. No excuses. No complaining, but once it's done, feel good about it and move on. Or not. Take a break. Take a vacation. Take on more. Whatever floats my boat.

Having your time as your own time takes a lot of the stress out of working. For me.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Grab Bag”