Getting Baked

A potpourri of off-topics.
boxman180
Fledgling

Getting Baked

Post by boxman180 »

I'm wondering what the rules are in Kelowna for selling baked goods online on Facebook Marketplace, Castanet Classifieds, Kijiji etc. I looked some things up and found things like baked goods are classified as low risk foods for bacteria/contamination and thus can be sold at the farmers market without very many restrictions. Things like meat and dairy have alot stricter guidelines. Any knowledge or advice is greatly appreciated!
seewood
Guru

Re: Getting Baked

Post by seewood »

Check for volumes made and commercial kitchen requirements..
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

People sell baked goods at craft sales all the time with little or no restrictions.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Lots of it is sold on Shop and Swap - you could join and ask there :) From baking to meals ( including meat)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/KSSKelowna/
easy to join
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
boxman180
Fledgling

Post by boxman180 »

We tried selling on Facebook Marketplace but someone posted how we might be violating health regulations and interior health sometimes frequents those sites looking for violations. They also mentioned how its unfair to be selling those types of products when people who start a baking business with a store front have to go through all types of certifications, inspections, business licenses etc. We wouldn't be doing mass volumes of baked goods to serve and sell to the public just some on the side to make extra cash. The person may have just been a grumpy old troll. Do, do, do, do, da Dora, Dora the explorer!!!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

boxman180 wrote:We tried selling on Facebook Marketplace but someone posted how we might be violating health regulations and interior health sometimes frequents those sites looking for violations. They also mentioned how its unfair to be selling those types of products when people who start a baking business with a store front have to go through all types of certifications, inspections, business licenses etc. We wouldn't be doing mass volumes of baked goods to serve and sell to the public just some on the side to make extra cash. The person may have just been a grumpy old troll. Do, do, do, do, da Dora, Dora the explorer!!!

Wow, so does IHA also inspect every vendor at farmers markets in the entire IH area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I doubt it's IHA that you have to worry about...

It's more the CRA wanting their "piece of the pie" ... Or ICBC for all those pop up , New Years eve wanna be cabbies
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

boxman180 wrote:We tried selling on Facebook Marketplace but someone posted how we might be violating health regulations and interior health sometimes frequents those sites looking for violations. They also mentioned how its unfair to be selling those types of products when people who start a baking business with a store front have to go through all types of certifications, inspections, business licenses etc. We wouldn't be doing mass volumes of baked goods to serve and sell to the public just some on the side to make extra cash. The person may have just been a grumpy old troll. Do, do, do, do, da Dora, Dora the explorer!!!

Most of the people who have storefronts started off selling to friends and family just like you are.
Last edited by Anonymous123 on Apr 8th, 2019, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

Oh - so, this is not a 4:20 thread...

Interesting some would view this as an assault on larger commercial “brick and mortar” bakeries and having the need for all sorts of equipment upgrades and health standards. Sounds just like the arguments against Air B&B’s from hoteliers.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

seewood wrote:Check for volumes made and commercial kitchen requirements..

Also, check with "Foodsafe" requirements.

FOODSAFE Level 1
FOODSAFE Level 1 is a food-handling, sanitation and work safety course designed for frontline foodservice workers such as cooks, servers, bus-persons, dishwashers and deli workers. The course covers important food safety and worker safety information on foodborne illness, receiving and storing food, preparing food, serving food, cleaning and sanitizing.

Given the situation, I would think that a Level 2 may be required as well.
Bring back the LIKE button.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Not sure about all of the legalities, but Castanet will not allow you to sell food products. Farm and Produce yes, but nothing else - regardless if it's professionally done.

Tried to post an add for Genuine US Military Field Rations (MRE - Meals Ready to Eat) and they wouldn't even allow that. I don't really get how it's OK for farmers to sell raw meat while I can't sell highly processed military rations, but thems the rules.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

WalterWhite wrote:Oh - so, this is not a 4:20 thread...

haha.. my thought too when i saw it..
:130:
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

GordonH wrote:
boxman180 wrote:We tried selling on Facebook Marketplace but someone posted how we might be violating health regulations and interior health sometimes frequents those sites looking for violations.

Wow, so does IHA also inspect every vendor at farmers markets in the entire IH area.

I used to participate in a farmer's market here on the island. But the organizers of the market were eventually forced to require that each vendor provide proof of liability insurance. They were afraid -- I'm sure quite legitimately -- that if someone was sickened by a product from the market, they'd be sued as well as the vendor. The market organizers bought a ton of liability insurance and insisted that the vendors do, too. It was so expensive for me that it represented much of my profit margin (for the simple product I had to sell...) and I gave it up. Just sell to a small select group of friends and clients now.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^

And yet, "government inspected and certified" products continue to be recalled after peeps get sick, hospitalized or die.

Take a look at the recall or "dispose of" or "return for refund" list if in doubt about this issue.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Grab Bag”