What is internet dating like for women.

A potpourri of off-topics.
good-cause-girl
Fledgling
Posts: 134
Joined: Jul 18th, 2011, 11:08 am

What is internet dating like for women.

Post by good-cause-girl »

Challenge accepted.
My experience as it was for 4 years between husbands.
It started with Lavalife and Plenty of fish. I was new so I screwed up with my profile and actually put up a picture of myself and lasted about 3 hours before I took it down and here is why. Remember this was in 3 hours or so.

I received over 40 'inquiries'. If I did not respond immediately I was lambasted with verbal insults and some rather startling choice words and descriptions of my face, body, parentage and other things.

I was in the unfortunate position of a multitude of erect penis pictures sometimes with their smiling face and sometimes that replaced what should have been their face.( Guys really? why?)
I was asked to 'go live' and we could 'cam' each other to see if we were going to be compatible. (Nope, never going to happen, click)
Did I shave or just trim? (wow, just wow, click)
Do I have a sister/ friend/ several friends? (click)
What kind of money did you have to contribute to this budding relationship? (What ? What??)
"I am a Lawyer but a bit low on funds right now so can you afford Red Lobster? I'd like to take you someplace nice". (Click)
How about a nooner and see from there? (No)
You didn't comment of my junk? What not good enough for you? *bleep*! (Wow, insecure and desperate enough?)
I like to film all my sex partners. (wrong, as in not ever for any reason)
Do you like toys? I have lots. (Oh ya , like that is a good start, used toys)
You'd look better as a red head. (I had dark hair)
You could drop a pound or to and you'd be hot. (I was about 2lbs underweight and extremely fit)
Can you meet up around midnight? I gotta get rid of this chick and then we can really rock n roll. (click)
me-" can I ask you a question?" him- "6 inches hahaha". (click)

Now I will add here that it is not all like this but these are real statements . I removed my picture and changed some of the words I thought might be confusing these fellas like, commitment and single and such and reworded it to say "please, no married men (who even thought this would be a problem?), no seriously broke/ on welfare or incarcerated men and don't send me your junk or I'll start a file and 'internet' you.

I did end up with a file and had 38 pictures and as *bleep* as this sounds they gave me their names with phone numbers. And no, I didn't call.

I did end up meeting my current husband online, POF I believe and it is wonderful. He checked all my boxes, never got dirty with me online and is one of the best humans I have ever met. So in the end, through all the gunk, I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

Okay ladies, we have been banned from the guys side of this, rightfully so, so lets give it to them honestly so maybe if they are serious and looking for a real life partner just how to stand out above the rest. Most of them are really good catches and not pervs. Lets maybe try and help them
User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 7900
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by oldtrucker »

good-cause-girl wrote: Remember this was in 3 hours or so.


I don't know if you will let any comments from men in, but I wanted to say I'm not trolling, and I just wanted to comment on your ad being up for only 3 hours and getting 40 inquires. I have heard /read that for every 1 woman on a dating site there may be over 20 men. Ashley Madison had something like over a million men to a few thousand women, but that may not be the best example considering the nature of the site.

Any man that sends you things like what was sent to 'good cause girl' isn't much of a man...they are pathetic, have no class and no self confidence. After reading the 'inquires', I can see why women are apprehensive about online dating.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
User avatar
Sige
Übergod
Posts: 1033
Joined: Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:45 am

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by Sige »

Some of you have heard this from me before, but I met my wife on match.com 20 years ago and we've been happily together every since. It *can* happen. Just be careful :smt045
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
User avatar
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14564
Joined: Aug 10th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by kgcayenne »

I did not sign up to any online dating. I had friends who did, and I learned through them that being a single mom was such a 'deal breaker' it was a waste of time. I look back on the attempted setups and trial and error, and am very glad to have found my partner in crime locally.

This is another set-up story altogether:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... -1.5024244
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Mark1111
Board Meister
Posts: 569
Joined: May 3rd, 2008, 10:22 am

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by Mark1111 »

good-cause-girl wrote:Challenge accepted.
My experience as it was for 4 years between husbands.
It started with Lavalife and Plenty of fish. I was new so I screwed up with my profile and actually put up a picture of myself and lasted about 3 hours before I took it down and here is why. Remember this was in 3 hours or so.

I received over 40 'inquiries'. If I did not respond immediately I was lambasted with verbal insults and some rather startling choice words and descriptions of my face, body, parentage and other things.

I was in the unfortunate position of a multitude of erect penis pictures sometimes with their smiling face and sometimes that replaced what should have been their face.( Guys really? why?)
I was asked to 'go live' and we could 'cam' each other to see if we were going to be compatible. (Nope, never going to happen, click)
Did I shave or just trim? (wow, just wow, click)
Do I have a sister/ friend/ several friends? (click)
What kind of money did you have to contribute to this budding relationship? (What ? What??)
"I am a Lawyer but a bit low on funds right now so can you afford Red Lobster? I'd like to take you someplace nice". (Click)
How about a nooner and see from there? (No)
You didn't comment of my junk? What not good enough for you? *bleep*! (Wow, insecure and desperate enough?)
I like to film all my sex partners. (wrong, as in not ever for any reason)
Do you like toys? I have lots. (Oh ya , like that is a good start, used toys)
You'd look better as a red head. (I had dark hair)
You could drop a pound or to and you'd be hot. (I was about 2lbs underweight and extremely fit)
Can you meet up around midnight? I gotta get rid of this chick and then we can really rock n roll. (click)
me-" can I ask you a question?" him- "6 inches hahaha". (click)

Now I will add here that it is not all like this but these are real statements . I removed my picture and changed some of the words I thought might be confusing these fellas like, commitment and single and such and reworded it to say "please, no married men (who even thought this would be a problem?), no seriously broke/ on welfare or incarcerated men and don't send me your junk or I'll start a file and 'internet' you.

I did end up with a file and had 38 pictures and as *bleep* as this sounds they gave me their names with phone numbers. And no, I didn't call.

I did end up meeting my current husband online, POF I believe and it is wonderful. He checked all my boxes, never got dirty with me online and is one of the best humans I have ever met. So in the end, through all the gunk, I'd highly recommend giving it a try.

Okay ladies, we have been banned from the guys side of this, rightfully so, so lets give it to them honestly so maybe if they are serious and looking for a real life partner just how to stand out above the rest. Most of them are really good catches and not pervs. Lets maybe try and help them


OMG not female but I have to chime in. That was the funniest post in I don't know how long. If I ever find myself single again and just even hint about online dating on this forum you have my permission to just shoot me. Please.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 30213
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by normaM »

OLD seems a bit worse since last time I used it ( nearly 5 years ago)
Many men don't read the profile and msg based on photos.
Given up saying thanks but no - as mentioned seems many cannot handle any rejection and you get charming replies like " I wouldn't date you anyhow _____ fill in your choice of insult)
Men post like 2 pictures, usually with sunglasses and a ball cap ( can bet money most have a 5 or 6 head) but usually send you their email so they can send you more pictures ( POF has cracked down on nudity so harder to send you those dikpiks.
POF has age restrictions re msging so far too young guys do a fake profile to message older women ( guess they think we are desparate but at least they tend to be polite)
PET NAMES.. ick, if you wouldn't say it to a woman you just met in person don't send it in a msg.
Older guys with Interests such as " sex all morning long" " deep kissing and cuddles" and " I like to eat azz"
Must say it provides me with entertainment and some good giggles tho
I could dine out nearly every night but simply cannot see myself with some who want to meet. Plus the expectation is if they pay for a meal they'll get a *bleep* in the parking lot :/
btw, I know women in their 20s and 30s on dating sites, all share the same experiences
FAFO
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2680
Joined: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:32 pm

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by 36Drew »

Sige wrote:Some of you have heard this from me before, but I met my wife on match.com 20 years ago and we've been happily together every since. It *can* happen. Just be careful :smt045


Ahh you young kids. Internet dating wasn't a thing when I met mine - we had to woo each other the old-fashioned way! 25 for us this year, though. Say hi to you and yours from us.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
User avatar
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm
Posts: 20150
Joined: Aug 2nd, 2005, 3:51 pm

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by Lady tehMa »

36Drew wrote:
Ahh you young kids. Internet dating wasn't a thing when I met mine - we had to woo each other the old-fashioned way! 25 for us this year, though. Say hi to you and yours from us.


Same here, a blind date was the closest thing to internet dating there was. My best friend also met her husband on a blind date. Husband and I will be at 28 years this year :130:
I haven't failed until I quit.
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 30213
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by normaM »

Skinny guy, in Idaho
woke up to this gem
"we are match and i dance like MAGIC MIKE sexiest butt you will EVER SEE lets chat and laugh"

Alas I will have to give that a solid no
FAFO
User avatar
mexi cali
Guru
Posts: 9187
Joined: May 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by mexi cali »

First things first; the OP was off the hook funny. Thank you for submitting it.

Second; I have a really dim view of the whole cyber dating thing. I have children who have all attempted it, one who still is, and they all have very similar, although less graphic because they' retelling their old man what the 411 is, but they are all similar.

The guys don't come off well in most cases. a picture of your pecker? Seriously? Who do you want to attract with that approach?

The insults? Chicken shiiits all of them.

I don't think of myself as old. Most would accuse me of "hangin on" if anything but I just don't see this as a thing. I had my share of female companionship in the day and I like the way I met many of them. Drunk and in the cabaret. Just kidding. Ok, not all kidding but mostly. Seriously, I met girls everywhere there were girls. I was lucky enough to figure out early that all you had to do was be nice to them and not act like a dufus and your stock went up quickly.

You can't substitute your awesome, in the moment sense of humor on POF. You can't be yourself. You can "edit" yourself in any way you want but you can't just be you. In my case, I was (and still am) hilarious. I was in a band (license to print girls) and I wasn't shy. They appreciated that and I treated them with respect, just like momma taught me. My son does the same, not because he knows I will end him if he doesn't but because he has sisters and he knows it's the right ting to do and he do just fine.

No judgment but seriously people. Talk to each other.

ETA; if the boys really do the kind of stuff the OP and my kids are telling me? They are poor excuses for men.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Even Steven
Guru
Posts: 6439
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by Even Steven »

I can't even imagine what it's like to navigate the online world as a woman. It's probably kinda like walking around the minefield dodging bullets and pictures of guys' junk trying not to run into creeps and serial killers.
User avatar
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 30213
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by normaM »

^^^ you have to keep a sense of humor. I do wish Men would actually read the profiles ( women btw are just as visual as Men but we tend to read the sketchy profiles
So far over 60% of the men who msg me like to " cuddle on the Sofa" code for we never going out
No grown Man should use the word cuddle
Last guy wasn't amused when all his pictures were swimsuits or undies and I asked if a Dingo ate his clothes
Clubs/Bars just as bad.. and they stalk you
FAFO
User avatar
JagXKR
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3157
Joined: Jun 19th, 2011, 6:25 am

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by JagXKR »

Dating? Who has time? Wouldn't matter what sex the person is, just don't have time. And way too tired. :sleepdeprived:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
Posts: 66958
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 11:39 am

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by Queen K »

BUMP:

White lies when first dating? Say it ain't true! Old as matchmaking itself.

When royalty "dated" they had their portraits painted of themselves to be taken to prospective suitors. A whole lotta lying was going on!

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#347585
If Putin stopped, he'd be saving Russian lives as well. Never thought the right would have a field day but June 24/2022 it is.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:41 am

Re: What is internet dating like for women.

Post by stuphoto »

I tried the internet dating thing and did meet a couple nice women but nothing special.
I swear, the last time I was on POF most of the females were just fake profiles.

On a related note, next summer we will be having at least. One Couples Date Night on the Hornby Island bus.
Basically involving taking the happy couples out to a private beach for a catered dinner.
Candles, watch the sunset and so on.
If possible we may even set up a white tarp and project a romantic movie onto it.
Then give everyone a ride home.

It's entirely my idea, and the management are silly enough to let me arrange it

A friend of mine is hoping we can do something similar for Singles.
Kind of a Match Making thing.
For me this is a tough one to organize, so if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

Return to “Grab Bag”