Double Boiled water is dangerous.

A potpourri of off-topics.
alanjh595
Banned

Double Boiled water is dangerous.

Post by alanjh595 »

I thought I had heard all most all of the conspiracy theories out there, until just 30 minutes ago.
I noticed that across the street my elderly neighbour (let's call her Jane) was speaking to a younger woman about flower gardening, and the younger one was speaking rather firmly towards Jane about how the plants should be taken care of. I could see that Jane was becoming impatient with (Sue), so I thought I would meander over and make sure that Jane was okay.
It turns out that Sue is her daughter in law. (fast forward) I informed Jane that I could hear the kettle whistling on her stove. As Jane went in to put on tea, Sue yelled at her and said, "Has that water been boiled before"?
Okay, now my curiosity is peaked and I ask Sue, Why is that important"?
Well that was the wrong question to ask. Sue immediately started talking to me like I was an idiot, for not knowing that water that has been boiled twice or for a long time is dangerous for consumption.
Being of the personality type that I am, it was all that I could do to contain my laughter and bowel contents that I was saving for tomorrow. I got out of there as quickly and as politely as possible to go and look this Conspiracy Theory up on my computer.

YES, there are those that believe in this theory.

Is Twice-Boiled Water “Toxic”?
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/never ... ter-twice/

We really do need better mental health care facilities.
Bring back the LIKE button.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Double Boiled water is dangerous.

Post by oneh2obabe »

The only reason some don't boil water twice is the taste as boiling drives oxygen out of the water and deoxygenated water tends to taste more flat.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Destructive Myths: The Dissolved Oxygen Hypothesis
Part I: The Argument

There are a lot of myths and unfounded maxims surrounding the proper preparation of coffee and tea. Most are harmless, or, at worst, detrimental to beverage flavor. But one such myth has resulted in a massive waste of energy and water. I refer to this myth as the dissolved oxygen hypothesis.

The dissolved oxygen hypothesis states that, when brewing tea, one should always use freshly drawn water, and never reboil water in the kettle. The justification given is that water that has previously been boiled has less dissolved oxygen (DO). The result is that many tea drinkers are wasting enormous amounts of energy by dumping leftover hot water from their kettles.

The dissolved oxygen hypothesis rests on two premises: (1) that once-boiled water contains more dissolved oxygen than twice-boiled water; (2) that dissolved oxygen improves the flavor of tea. Both premises are demonstrably false.

Boiling itself does not remove dissolved gases. It is the change in temperature or pressure that affects the amount of gas that a liquid can hold (i.e., the solubility of a gas in a liquid). Solubility decreases as temperature increases. Assuming normal atmospheric pressure and composition, water at 0˚C can hold a maximum of ~15ppm DO, while water at 50˚C can only hold ~5ppm. Once the water reaches 100˚C, solubility is zero. Therefore, if you've brought water even close to a boil, you've removed virtually all the DO. What this means is that neither once-boiled nor twice-boiled water contain significant levels of DO, refuting premise

http://hotwatermagic.blogspot.com/2013/ ... n.html?m=1
Brushy Bill
Board Meister

Post by Brushy Bill »

There it is.........tea is bad for the environment ...news at 5
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Read all the articles you want but both tea and coffee taste better when brewed using fresh water. Doesn't take more energy to boil fresh water and there's really no waste when you use the "previously boiled" water to wash your face or clothes, water your plants, etc.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It just seems to be a waste of energy to heat something and then use it to water plants. My plants have done just fine on "non-boiled" water for many years.
I can agree that bottled water makes a better cup of coffee, but not good enough to warrant the cost of bottled water.

Sometimes it is necessary to boil water to kill bacteria that can be harmful to our health, even if you are using it to brush your teeth. BUT to believe that water that has been boiled for a long time or twice is harmful to health is just silly and just another conspiracy theory that some get sucked into.

My point is and has always been, "doubled boiled water is NOT harmful to a persons' health". It may be not to your liking for taste, but it is not dangerous to consume.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I started this thread because I wanted to share my experience about a true story and about someone who was fanatic about not consuming double boiled water and the dangerous health effects.
I found the encounter extremely humorous and wanted to share it with all of you here on Castanet. :138: Perhaps I should have started this in the humour section?

Oh well........ :138: :138: :138: :138: :138:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:My point is and has always been, "doubled boiled water is NOT harmful to a persons' health". It may be not to your liking for taste, but it is not dangerous to consume.

If you ingest too mach at one time you could conceivably drown in it. :200:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:My point is and has always been, "doubled boiled water is NOT harmful to a persons' health". It may be not to your liking for taste, but it is not dangerous to consume.

If you ingest too mach at one time you could conceivably drown in it. :200:

YES, I know. It's called DihydrogenMonoxide over dose, and can result in death.

https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

How can I now make a big pot of soup/stew, if I can't bring the pot to a boil and then simmer it for 6 hours?

AND when I get tired of waiting, and want to go to sleep, how can I pick-up and start again the next day?

Soup is good for you, double boiled is not. I would call that even.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have a specialized pot, called a "double boiler", that I use for making chocolate, is that also considered dangerous by the double boil faction of the conspiracy theorists?

Return to “Grab Bag”