What to do about my neighbour's stinky pot plants?

A potpourri of off-topics.
bb49
Guru

What to do about my neighbour's stinky pot plants?

Post by bb49 »

My neighbour is again growing pot in his backyard, probably eight to twelve plants. Last year he grew at least a half dozen.
Well the smell from these plants is just too much. Each year it starts around June, drifting into our yard and at times into our house and basement. And it lasts well into September or October.
It's gotten to the point that we can't enjoy our backyard, so on nice days if we're home, it's indoor time. And to make matters worse the prevailing winds come from his direction.

I talked to by-laws but because it involves marijuana they say it's a police issue. I don't want to involve the police, besides they have more serious issues to deal with. And what could they do, pull out all the plants but four. Then we still have that smell and a very pi$$ed off neighbour.
Theres no point talking to the neighbour, he's always in a smokey haze, but seems to quite proud of his plants. Probably one of the few accomplishments in his life. His plants are at least seven feet tall now.

We're not moving, invested too much sweat and money into this place, so that's not an option.

Any sensible, realistic suggestions from you readers would be appreciated.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: What to do about my neighbour's stinky pot plants?

Post by just popping in »

My next door neighbour also has a licence to grow but is over the limit.
Unfortunately, I really don't think there is anything that can be done but hope harvest season is soon.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

24854B09-3747-479F-9205-DB758436CC30.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

bb49 wrote:My neighbour is again growing pot in his backyard, probably eight to twelve plants. Last year he grew at least a half dozen.
Well the smell from these plants is just too much. Each year it starts around June, drifting into our yard and at times into our house and basement. And it lasts well into September or October.
It's gotten to the point that we can't enjoy our backyard, so on nice days if we're home, it's indoor time. And to make matters worse the prevailing winds come from his direction.

I talked to by-laws but because it involves marijuana they say it's a police issue. I don't want to involve the police, besides they have more serious issues to deal with. And what could they do, pull out all the plants but four. Then we still have that smell and a very pi$$ed off neighbour.
Theres no point talking to the neighbour, he's always in a smokey haze, but seems to quite proud of his plants. Probably one of the few accomplishments in his life. His plants are at least seven feet tall now.

We're not moving, invested too much sweat and money into this place, so that's not an option.

Any sensible, realistic suggestions from you readers would be appreciated.

whats your address :biggrin:
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

You have two choices.
Suck it up.
Call the police.
Nobody else can help you.
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Lord of the Board

Post by seewood »

Copper 2 wood preservative poured into the ground. 4-6 days later, dead plants and nothing on the stems/leaves to say otherwise.
Works great for Siberian Elms that have a too deep root system to pull by hand.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Thanks for the ideas so far.
I realize that harvest time is coming so I'm looking at what to do next year. I will not tolerate this stink next summer, under any circumstances.
Btw, I'm not sure when he harvested his crop last year. The bushes where still standing this spring.

alanjh595 wrote:You have two choices.
Suck it up.
Call the police.
Nobody else can help you.

Alan, I don't plan to "suck it up".
This is our home and too much invested in it to cave in to a neighbour who doesn't give a damn about those around him. Btw, he is a royal pain to everyone who's near him, loud stereo, loud engines, running around the streets on his dirt bike, snowmobile, running his chainsaw an hour after sundown, etc.
As I mentioned, in regards to the pot plants the police won't be involved.

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
Lilapplepie
Fledgling

Post by Lilapplepie »

I have a similar problem. I feel its too late this year, but I am trying to plan for next summer so I can enjoy the outdoors. I was looking into trees or plants that suck up the smell...maybe a water fountain with a special fixture to absorb the smell. I'm still looking. If you find something let us know.
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

Sure wish I could help.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” - Mark Twain

“"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -W. Churchill
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I agree, there is a 4 plant limit.. so if the neighbour violates that you can report. No one here can do anything to help you :(
Why don't you want to involve the Authorities if it bothers you so? You are within your rights
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Your original post stated:

I talked to by-laws but because it involves marijuana they say it's a police issue. I don't want to involve the police,

The story has just changed. I don't believe it any more and am sorry that I offered a suggestion. You are on your own.
Bring back the LIKE button.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

alanjh595 wrote:Your original post stated:

I talked to by-laws but because it involves marijuana they say it's a police issue. I don't want to involve the police,

The story has just changed. I don't believe it any more and am sorry that I offered a suggestion. You are on your own.

It changed? How so?

LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

The only problem with some of the suggestions is that one could be charged with some sort of poisoning related issue, perhaps. Who remembers when the Americans convinced the Mexicans to spray paraqat on the pot fields in the ‘70’s? It was harvested quickly and sold as Colombian gold and there were some lung injuries with North American purchasers,

Too bad about the smell for you. Sneak over and cut them down?
You and 71 others Like this post
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I was thinking, maybe offer to buy him a cheap small greenhouse.. explain the smell is getting inside your home. I don't usually notice the smell until it is dried and processed. If you call the police why do you think he will accuse you sounds like he is a peice of work and could have been anyone in the area phone him in
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I imagine you actually spoke to your neighbor about the mater and explained to them how you feel about the smell.

Although it mostly seems to relate to indoor gardens there may be some ideas here.
https://m.wikihow.com/Hide-the-Smell-of ... ana-Plants

My experience is once law enforcement is involved a problem usually escalates making things worse for everyone.

Return to “Grab Bag”