Costco moving to Leckie Road

A potpourri of off-topics.
A10ThunderboltII
Fledgling

Re: Costco moving to Leckie Road

Post by A10ThunderboltII »

Bsuds wrote:
Glacier wrote:By the time they get around to building the gas bar we will all be driving electric cars.

They should put in pay charging stations in the parking lot

They had outdoor wall mounted EVchargers at Costco in Arizona in 1998 and for a few years (2006?) so this wouldn't be an "unheard of" idea. It was rare back then to ever see an electric car hooked up as GM cancelled their (the only?) electric car.
Here's more on that idea:

wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/17/citing-a-lack-of-usage-costco-removes-e-v-chargers/

My guess is they might be going back in soon.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

my5cents wrote:Or, instead of having to go to RCSS twice, just take their flyer to a store that price matches and get it with one trip.

Why reward RCSS for poor stock management (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt).

Off topic... I also hate the small print on RCSS tags

HUGE PRINT: - $1.99

Tiny print: - $2.49 if less than 4 purchased

My favourite at the RCWC: "Butter: $3.99; LIMIT 99"

Who buys 100 lbs of butter?!!

Back to Costco... Most things are overpriced. Some things are a good deal, but some things are a rip-off. You might think you're saving $2 to buy that 900 pack of condoms, but the last 200 will be expired before you use them resulting in an extra 6 kids for you.

7 things you shouldn't buy there...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-things ... 03598.html

15 things you shouldn't buy at Costco.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career ... stco.html/

10 things you should never buy at Costco
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/rev ... /39131891/

5 Things You Probably Shouldn’t Be Buying from Costco
https://www.rd.com/food/fun/things-never-buy-costco/

Don’t buy these 8 foods at Costco, experts say
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/8-foods ... perts.html

17 Products You Should Never, Ever Buy At Costco, According To Employees And Shoppers
https://soyummy.com/17-products-you-sho ... at-costco/

etc...
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I could argue that many of those items they say not to buy are a bargain or at the least a better buy than anywhere else either on price or quality.

Several of those mention that soda is not a good buy and they are mostly wrong on that. Sure there are times when they are on sale elsewhere at a better price but those days are few and far between. On a day to day basis pop is cheaper at Costco and Walmart than anywhere else in town. Pretty much the same price at both.
Hafa adai
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Glacier wrote:
my5cents wrote:Or, instead of having to go to RCSS twice, just take their flyer to a store that price matches and get it with one trip.

Why reward RCSS for poor stock management (I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt).

Off topic... I also hate the small print on RCSS tags

HUGE PRINT: - $1.99

Tiny print: - $2.49 if less than 4 purchased

My favourite at the RCWC: "Butter: $3.99; LIMIT 99"

Who buys 100 lbs of butter?!!

Back to Costco... Most things are overpriced. Some things are a good deal, but some things are a rip-off. You might think you're saving $2 to buy that 900 pack of condoms, but the last 200 will be expired before you use them resulting in an extra 6 kids for you.

7 things you shouldn't buy there...
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/7-things ... 03598.html

15 things you shouldn't buy at Costco.
https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career ... stco.html/

10 things you should never buy at Costco
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/rev ... /39131891/

5 Things You Probably Shouldn’t Be Buying from Costco
https://www.rd.com/food/fun/things-never-buy-costco/

Don’t buy these 8 foods at Costco, experts say
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/11/8-foods ... perts.html

17 Products You Should Never, Ever Buy At Costco, According To Employees And Shoppers
https://soyummy.com/17-products-you-sho ... at-costco/

etc...

Who buys 100 lbs of butter at Costco? Convenience store owners who load up on items that are below the price their wholesaler charges them. I see huge amounts of items, boxes and crates of items that the buyer clearly is purchasing for a business. They have business cards for that purpose. Used to see them loading up on cigarettes before they were dropped by Costco.
Waste not
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Sorry Glacier but the examples in the numerous links are NOT specific to Costco, so it's hardly fair to single them out. The argument really has little to do with quality or price, both of which are OK there.

The basic argument (and rightfully so) is that many products are large and won't be used up in a reasonable amount of time.

Duh........ so in other words since I'm on my own, and don't use mayo any more than a couple of times a month, it probably wouldn't be very wise to purchase a gigantic bottle of mayo, same goes for condiments in my case, and no doubt many others.

I shop for my needs and lifestyle consequently I don't purchase huge amounts of items that will last so long they'll either expire in my cupboard or go stale.

I believe it would be called using common sense whilst shopping.

Much as they have great prices on cheddar, I can't take advantage of those huge blocks unless I'm sharing it with a couple of my kids, since freezing makes it go weird to my thinking, and leaving it in the fridge it will begin to mould. Because of this I take advantage of their smaller cheese offerings such as Jarlsberg, Havarti, etc.

Even those with a freezer can't toss the stuff in there forever, so again one shouldn't stock up on items they won't use in a time frame that prevents spoiling, but again one has to be cognizant of this regardless of where they opt to shop.

There are things I can and do get there though, such as honey, which I can toss in a cupboard for eons and not worry about.

Toilet paper, paper towels, and meats that can be repackaged at home and frozen to save money.

I find the place more than worthwhile to be a member of, and I save far more than the sixty bucks membership costs me.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I noticed the links are pretty much repetitive and US based. Check out the blogs that post Canadian prices and compare with your weekly ads from the local supermarkets. I haven't thrown out bulk veggies yet, don't mind freezing cheese or vacuum packing a chunk for cooking purposes and ribs and chicken still are a good buy. Even the clothing is cheaper for my needs and absolutely love the Kirkland socks that I've bought a few years ago.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:I noticed the links are pretty much repetitive and US based. Check out the blogs that post Canadian prices and compare with your weekly ads from the local supermarkets. I haven't thrown out bulk veggies yet, don't mind freezing cheese or vacuum packing a chunk for cooking purposes and ribs and chicken still are a good buy. Even the clothing is cheaper for my needs and absolutely love the Kirkland socks that I've bought a few years ago.

I don't mind freezing shredded cheddar for nachos, but for sandwiches, grilled cheese, and such, I simply prefer it fresh, my quirk if you wish to call it such.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I realize we are getting off the topic of Costco moving (sorry Mods), but had to put my 2 cents in.

Many of the "don't buy at Costco" involved dairy products in the USA. Our prices of much higher in Canada and Costco's prices for dairy are good when compared with other local stores.

The one thing NOBODY acknowledges... R E A D T H I S

Costco's beef, steaks (not whole tenderloins), roasts etc are BLADE TENDERIZED. That means you have to cook them just like you would ground beef, well done.

I don't know about you, but I love my steaks and roasts rare.

For the life of me I don't understand how Costco can get away with a warning that is has a small font, same color (black) as the labels other content such as weight, unit price etc stating that these products must be cook well done. It virtually unnoticeable.

Isn't a warning supposed to grab your attention ??

The ground beef has a red label warning to cook ground beef well.

Generally, I'm finding that many Costco items are a better price at Costco's regular price than local store sell on sale. When something is on sale at Costco, virtually unbeatable.

Check for Costco sales on "Costco West Fan Blog" they show the sale items that are not on the flyer they give you at the door.

https://cocowest.ca/
Last edited by my5cents on Oct 1st, 2019, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Catsumi
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catsumi »

This is straying into "comparison shopping at Cosco" Want to start a new thread? :topic:
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect” - Mark Twain

“"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." -W. Churchill
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Urban Cowboy wrote:I don't mind freezing shredded cheddar for nachos, but for sandwiches, grilled cheese, and such, I simply prefer it fresh, my quirk if you wish to call it such.

Gad - not a quirk - that's normal eating behaviour. I'm still going to shop at Costco when (and if) they move. Nothing concrete yet so won't be holding my breath.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Speaking of Costco:

Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Bsuds wrote:I could argue that many of those items they say not to buy are a bargain or at the least a better buy than anywhere else either on price or quality.

Several of those mention that soda is not a good buy and they are mostly wrong on that. Sure there are times when they are on sale elsewhere at a better price but those days are few and far between. On a day to day basis pop is cheaper at Costco and Walmart than anywhere else in town. Pretty much the same price at both.

Now count in your annual fee and your Soda price has risen dramatically :D
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Whyme2 wrote:Now count in your annual fee and your Soda price has risen dramatically :D
Not really when factoring in rebates and amounts spent/saved on purchases over the year.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Whyme2 wrote:
Bsuds wrote:I could argue that many of those items they say not to buy are a bargain or at the least a better buy than anywhere else either on price or quality.

Now count in your annual fee and your Soda price has risen dramatically :D

So are you counting in that fee every time you make a purchase?

I'm confident that many have done a very good job in explaining that our membership fee gets covered quite quickly, and once you've done that, all the purchase savings for the remainder of the year come at no cost.

Before I migrated to the Costco Pharmacy for my prescriptions, the last pharmacy charged me $11 dispensing fee for every item, while at Costco it's $4, so a $7 dollar saving on each item and for a while I had 7 prescriptions so one months worth saves $49. So you see it doesn't take long to cover the membership fee with ones savings.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Before I migrated to the Costco Pharmacy for my prescriptions, the last pharmacy charged me $11 dispensing fee for every item, while at Costco it's $4, so a $7 dollar saving on each item and for a while I had 7 prescriptions so one months worth saves $49. So you see it doesn't take long to cover the membership fee with ones savings.

You don't need a membership to use the Costco pharmacy so shouldn't really consider pharmacy savings there as savings against a membership

Return to “Grab Bag”