Will my bottle of bubbly be safe in my suitcase

A potpourri of off-topics.
bb49
Guru

Will my bottle of bubbly be safe in my suitcase

Post by bb49 »

We're heading home from vacation in a few days and I have a question.

We have more alcohol then we can drink in next few days, white and red wine partially consumed, plus a couple of six packs.

One bottle of bubbly that hasn't been opened, I was thinking of bringing home, well wrapped in my suitcase. But because it's under pressure, will the plane trip cause it to explode?

I've shipped other bottles, always well wrapped in dirty laundry, but never a bubbly.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Will my bottle of bubbly be safe in my suitcase

Post by OKkayak »

They serve bubbly and fizzy drinks on planes and pressure has never been an issue with those. Cargo holds have the same pressure as the passenger cabin, so other than the risk of the bottle being crushed, you should have no problem.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Wrap the heck out of it with your clothes.....it’ll be fine. Brought many home that way.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

bb49 wrote:We're heading home from vacation in a few days and I have a question.

We have more alcohol then we can drink in next few days, white and red wine partially consumed, plus a couple of six packs.

One bottle of bubbly that hasn't been opened, I was thinking of bringing home, well wrapped in my suitcase. But because it's under pressure, will the plane trip cause it to explode?

I've shipped other bottles, always well wrapped in dirty laundry, but never a bubbly.

It will all depend on how well you wrap it up & how gentle the baggage handlers are on luggage.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:It will all depend on how well you wrap it up & how gentle the baggage handlers are on luggage.

Isn't that an oxymoron? lol - I've watched the baggage handlers more times than I can count now dealing with luggage....
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:It will all depend on how well you wrap it up & how gentle the baggage handlers are on luggage.

Fancy wrote:Isn't that an oxymoron? lol - I've watched the baggage handlers more times than I can count now dealing with luggage....

Just sending OP'er a little hope his/her way.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've packed some interesting stuff in my luggage that made it to my destination (surprisingly). Liquids I put in ziplocs (just in case).
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Your bubbly was probably shipped by air a few times before you purchased it wherever - without the benefit of being cushioned by clothing. The bottles themselves are pretty skookum so should travel perfectly fine in your checked luggage. Six packs should be fine as well....
Chill
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

don't do it it wont survive, not from explosion from being crushed they are not gentle with suitcases and theres nothing better than walking through the airport with expensive whiskey leaking from two of your suitcases :cry:. I wrapped them individually in separate cases surrounded them with bubble wrap and clothing and both broke. The only thing I thought of that might work is pvc pipe with caps stuffed with soft stuff but then they may think its a bomb and give ya grief good luck if ya try it let us know.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

bb49 wrote:because it's under pressure, will the plane trip cause it to explode?

No it wont explode.
Make sure its a hard shelled suitcase because the ground crew are not gentle with bags.
Security will probably open the suitcase.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Update? Did it make it home? :130:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oldtrucker wrote:Security will probably open the suitcase.

And will probably drink the wine. :biggrin:
Hafa adai
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Lady tehMa wrote:Update? Did it make it home? :130:

They are all home, safe and sound. 2 bottles of Kahlua, a bottle of port, the bottle of bubbly and several leftover cans of Kona beer. Wrapped them well and crossed my fingers.

Now we're trying to recuperate after a red-eye to Calgary, then a flight home this morning.

Btw, that Boeing 787 Dreamliner is one sweet plane.

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Bsuds wrote:
oldtrucker wrote:Security will probably open the suitcase.

And will probably drink the wine. :biggrin:

Both of our suitcases had inside a "NOTICE OF BAGGAGE INSPECTION" from the TSA dudes. Can't say I blame them for looking.
Even the opened bottle of Kahlua didn't appear to have much missing.

Btw, both suitcases were within a pound or two of being overweight.

Return to “Grab Bag”