Christmas...

A potpourri of off-topics.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Christmas...

Post by Lady tehMa »

W105 wrote:do you buy a real tree or use a fake tree ??

are you spending a lot on gifts this yr or not ??

do you do Christmas baking or can't be bothered ??

~~~~

I use a fake tree, like the real ones but they are too messy !!

keeping my budget small this yr and only giving gifts that are practical, (no useless gifts like a radio shower..lol) my thing this yr is Grocery Store gift cards..who can't use food ??

I bake and I also give them out as gifts...make a mean shortbread :)

Real tree most years, grandma's fake 3ft plastic tree this year. Side note: best tree I have ever had was from Dogwood Nursery in West Kelowna, will definitely be going there again. A little more than a grocery store tree, but much, much nicer.

Spending more than I should, but not as much as many do. Love grocery cards for those hard-to-buy-for folk. Also I love combing the Christmas craft shows for unique consumables (Prospera is this weekend, last few years someone there had a marmelade made with whisky, amazing!).

Christmas baking yes, though not nearly what I have done in past years. Just shortbread and gingersnaps this year. I also give baking as a gift.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dirtybiker wrote:Getting a couple foot tall potted Alberta Spruce from a local
nursery as our tree this year.

Come spring the kidlet and I can take it out and plant it.

Our contribution to saving the planet :D

Merry Christmas.

We did that one year and it was dead before spring
Hafa adai
SuperMom
Fledgling

Post by SuperMom »

We get a real tree every year. My husband keeps joking that we don't need a tree at all this year, but I'm hoping we can pick one out this weekend. We don't really do much decorating, so the tree makes the house feel Christmasy.

We don't really have a set budget for gifts, but we also do not go crazy or buy gifts on credit. We probably spend on average a $100 or less on each of our kids, and that includes stockings. My husband and I buy for each other and we get gifts for parents, but we don't really do much for extended family beyond mailing a Christmas card. Aside from our immediate family, I get gifts for a couple of friends and professionals I frequent. Generally, we keep things small and simple.

As for baking, I do some although less than when the kids were younger. My husband and I don't eat a lot of sweets on a regular basis. While I have no problem enjoying the holiday treats, I don't throw my regular eating habits out the window for the season, so I really don't want a lot of baking lying around the house. Plus, now that I am in constant pain, I just don't have the energy to put in all the effort of big baking sessions. I have a box of cranberry bliss bars in my freezer, as well as some beautifully decorated sugar cookies I picked up at a bake sale.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Christmas aint what it used to be for me. I am anxious for it to be over.

We have a fake tree because we live in a condo and no real trees allowed.

My wife loves the season and she does the decorating. She likes to sit back and look at it all. I have to admit, it does look nice.

I have a cancer causing chemical spray that actually smells a lot like a real tree so I use that.

I/we used to go out with the kids and cut down a tree. It was fun until the kids decided it wasn't. Then it was a SavOn tree for years. They were ususally pretty nice. Hard to keep fresh though.

I do zero shopping except for my wife. She spends way, way too much which is why she starts in June.

My mom used to make me boxes of the best shortbread cookies ever, on demand. My wife hates that because they were so good.

I used to love Christmas. It was a lot like what you see on TV in them old B&W movies. It was mysterious and joyful and as a kid, it tested my patience. The waiting was the hardest part. Thanks Tom.

We used to have to wait for my grandparents to get there and that was never before nine so by then I was just about ready to bust. It was torture.

I seldom got "the thing" that I really wanted but every once in a while. I got goalie pads one year. Heaven.

I was always lucky though and apart form the socks and underwear (news flash: NOT A GIFT FOR A KID) I loved basically everything I got.

It is so different now. It's all about the present. It's not about the togetherness. The card games. The nog. The rum. The laughter.

It feels contrived somehow. It has for years. And not real. Not too me anyway.

The ads that start in October. The Black Friday BS. The crowds. The panic. Not what it should be.

However, we are still all getting together for the big feast, kids, dad, wifes sister and fam. Niece from cow town. It's always a hoot so there's that.

On that note, I will wish you all a very Merry Christmas in the hope that you all are happy and healthy and that you are with those you love.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

Oh...you mean what type of pegan symbol...I mean xmas tree?
Not a practicing Christian.
I don't believe in buying things so retailers can make money. It just puts more stress on the environment.
I'm the kind of person that the planet loves- and the capitalists and retailers hate.
So cheap I squeak.
This year I'm buying everyone a gram of cannabis.
Last year I got everyone a chunk of 4.55 billion year old meteorite.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Yes to Xmas baking,
Yes to colourful lights on the balcony,
No to a tree... but I did go up into the hills and dug up some poinsettias growing in the wild.
Keep on Truckin
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

oldtrucker wrote:.
This year I'm buying everyone a gram of cannabis.

mmm Christmas baking :biggrin:
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I can certainly see some people getting baked....
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
oldtrucker
Guru

Post by oldtrucker »

Boosted632 wrote:mmm Christmas baking :biggrin:

Fancy wrote:I can certainly see some people getting baked....

Hey...what if it's CBD cannabis?
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I don't really do Christmas anymore but buy gifts for friends and enjoy the children who still Love it
btw, since I have a lifetime ban from baking - ( not I ever did) Feel free to offer up soft ginger cookies and shortbread.
I am counting the days til Feb 14 :/
Never understood why people get stressed at Christmas .. do what you want/can afford
Watch Bad Santa and Die Hard whist sipping
Am I free tomorrow? No I'm expensive every day
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

alanjh595 wrote:North America faces shortage due in part to rising demand

Christmas tree lots have started popping up around the city, but Christmas tree farmers are putting out a warning: get your tree early this year.

Apparently, increasing demand, the ravages of Mother Nature and the 2008 recession have all played a role in creating a Christmas tree shortage across North America.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5382621

We just returned from Maui and got the shock of our lives there the other day.
Driving out of a mall and what do we see just off the parking lot? Christmas trees for sale! Real ones too, and they looked like a type of pine.

Christmas hit Maui with a vengeance on their Thanksgiving Day, November 28. Everywhere, Christmas decorations, Christmas displays, Christmas carols. And Santa Claus too.
And it was in the mid 80s.
And bikinis everywhere! :200:
I found it all a bit bizzare.

I like to ease into Christmas. It didn't happen this year.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

"I reject a society where every desire becomes a right. Where I have no responsibilities, I have only rights."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

That IS bizarre as Christmas decorations were in the stores before all the Halloween stuff was taken off the shelves.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The perfect Christmas gift for your Trudueau loving in-laws!

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/justi ... on-amazon/
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

This is now one of my favourite Christmas songs . . .

along with this

and this

I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Buddha of the Board

Post by alanjh595 »

Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Grab Bag”