Elderly Lady Blocked By Snow

A potpourri of off-topics.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Elderly Lady Blocked By Snow

Post by Fancy »

Anonymous123 wrote:Already being discussed here, where two threads on the topic have already been merged.

https://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=84102
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Neighbours should look out for Each other.

Post by normaM »

If she had a driveway car should have been there - meanwhile when the plow piles the snow you get the ice hunks, etc, it is a *bleep* to move as it is a frozen wall.
But the City could have sent one of those baby plows to clear it
Glad people helped her out
Tips for surviving the heat wave.
Drink lots of water
Don't test me
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

Notice the sidewalk and under the car are all shoveled clean. Magic?

Really, really slow news day hey Castanet?
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

The city cannot clear every driveway the block its up to the resident to clear it.
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
kelownman
Board Meister

Post by kelownman »

stevemic wrote:The city cannot clear every driveway the block its up to the resident to clear it.

Of course they can, Prince George does it and property owners gladly pay the higher taxes to pay for that service! :up:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

ironmanca wrote:Oh don't use the arthritis card. I am just about her age, I have no arthritis. Arthritis is not age restricted like obviously you may think. I knew a 12 year old that had it, back in the 1970's. What is she even complaining about? Seriously, that the City didn't do it for her like she wanted? Good luck on that.

?? Considering I said people younger than her have arthritis I'm not sure how you could have misread that. I have it, I'm younger, and snow shovelling is tough to do. Then again, I used the word "may". And as I said earlier, the City HAS come out to remove what should not have been deposited in the first place so she may not be out of line to request help. It appears help is on the way.
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Snowed in

Post by Boosted632 »

Fancy wrote:
Anonymous123 wrote:Here you go. A quick google search brings up an old article that gives a general idea of where she lives or lived in 2017. Probably still there.

Looks like her car hasn't moved.

The City has swung by and removed snow that should not have been deposited where it was. Not saying that is the case here as there could have been warnings put out not to park on the street while the City does the snow clearing. However, I'm sure she's shovelled out by now.

should not have been deposited where it was, you mean on the edge of the road where it has been deposited forever, her car should not be parked there that' would be a perfect spot to put snow after a heavy snowfall. They should actually ticket her for parking there especially when you notice the big empty driveway being old is not a free pass for being dumb
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Boosted632 wrote:should not have been deposited where it was, you mean on the edge of the road where it has been deposited forever,
No. Wasn't referring to her obviously.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Boosted632 wrote:They should actually ticket her for parking there especially when you notice the big empty driveway being old is not a free pass for being dumb
Are you sure that's her driveway? There's another complex she's parked in front of.
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

Fancy wrote:
Boosted632 wrote:They should actually ticket her for parking there especially when you notice the big empty driveway being old is not a free pass for being dumb
Are you sure that's her driveway? There's another complex she's parked in front of.

yes that's her driveway she isn't using theres no other complex
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There's the home with the gate across and she's also parked in front of a white house. Maybe she's renting and that's why she's parked outside the gate.
Boosted632
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Boosted632 »

Fancy wrote:There's the home with the gate across and she's also parked in front of a white house. Maybe she's renting and that's why she's parked outside the gate.

both of which have great big empty driveways
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

Yes she might be a complainer or she could have mild dementia, who knows for sure. It doesn't really matter, she is elderly and we need to take care of our senior citizens. Everyone is going to get old one day and karma is a *bleep*. No way to know if she has suffered a couple of strokes has a fake hip or what not. She didn't sound to messed up in the interview and it did sound kind of whiny but there is usually more to the story that we could not see. Sad that our elders seem to get less respect by the day. Kudos to all those that helped her out, I am sure one day the favor will be returned in kind.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

tantor wrote:Kudos to all those that helped her out, I am sure one day the favor will be returned in kind.

Agreed - there appears to have been many willing to give her a hand instead of whining that she was whining. Good for those that stepped up.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

kelocal wrote:
ironmanca wrote:Why is this even on Castanet? It's very little snow to remove. She can't ask a neighbor? She is old enough to know.......that if you want something done, you do it yourself. She seems very able by watching the video. Just do it Ma'am and be done with it...... Nice neighbors she has :up:

You're right, the fact that this is on Castanet is pretty poor. But lets be real, a 76 year old woman, whether you think she looks able or not, shouldn't have to dig her car our of that much snow, especially if it has melted, frozen or packed down at all since Tuesday. Who is to say if this nice elderly woman even owns a snow shovel? Even if she wanted to go buy one she couldn't as her car is blocked in!

Ideally the city would have dealt with it some time the day she called, lord knows they could have radioed one of the guys shoveling the nearest bus stops to stop by quickly.

This definitely isn't news worthy, and I hope that reporter tried to help dig her out a bit!

There has been no snow melt in the past week, the snow is not packed. If you own a home and do not own a snow shovel then you should arrange to have someone do it for you. It is not that difficult to pick up the phone. If she can do none of these things then she should be considering moving to an apartment with covered parking.
I live on a main road and all the accumulated snow ends up along my driveway, I don't expect the city to plow it out as they drive by with the plow, there are miles of roadway to plow that impact hundreds of people and she expects personal service?
Why is she parking so close to the road anyway?
I regularly plow a neighbours driveway because he has only one arm and I plow the neighbour next to him because they have adjacent driveways and I need to use his to do the other. I don't charge for this service that I have done for the past 8 years.
There is always a neighbourhood kid who could use the cash but she can't make arrangements?
Waste not

Return to “Grab Bag”