Bad House Inspectors

A potpourri of off-topics.
DebSS
Fledgling

Bad House Inspectors

Post by DebSS »

We recently had one come into our home. He was supposed to be here 3 hours and instead it ended up over 5. When we were due to come home we found the family wanting to purchase our home in our house. Instead of booting them out, we let them finish their business. After all we want it to sell. They came back with 3 minor issues in our house that were explainable and even came at us about something that was already accepted in the contract to purchase 'as is' that they had initialed. Problem is we had a broken lamp, a fan jammed in between the wall and our treadmill, gate left open, door left unlocked and a toilet seat lid left off. Why they had a lid off is beyond me. A notice that he flipped the main breaker and shut down all our power. Uh..power is just fine, all the lights were one and everything works by flipping a switch on the wall or turning on appliances. We cringed seeing that as a power surge could blow things just like a power outage can. Plus we found a closet door and drawers left open. Our agent got in touch with theirs and it was offered to fix the lamp...since then we have heard nothing from the buyers. We decided if you want to buy our house, we stay home next time an inspector comes in, and the prospective buyer can get a binder and meet the inspector somewhere for coffee. I sure don't appreciate coming home to a mess.

Any one else have horror stories on inspectors?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Bad House Inspectors

Post by Bsuds »

I would get that inspectors name and tell your agent that he is not allowed in your house again.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

And report this inspector to the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors.

https://www.cahpi.ca/index.php?lang=en

See 'Filing a complaint'.
Chill
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Single largest purchase in ones life, imo I'd rather have inspector that misses some small things... then one that misses larger costly things.

Just for entertainment I would watch hgtv for that inspector show, some of things missed was scary.

I agree with both of previous posters and you should report that inspector asap.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

IMO most home inspections are a waste of time. They look at things most homeowners can check. Sellers are not allowed to be present during the home inspection....that would be pretty awkward. Your realtor should be there to represent you and monitor the inspection. .
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

We plan on reporting the person. We have his business card. Some realtors let the homeowner be present during inspection. I don't believe the buyers should be allowed in the home either and should meet after with the inspector. We do have our belongings in the house, jewelry etc and things can go missing too. Not impressed. I tend to agree on the necessity of an inspector. Unless it is a new house (and they too have issues), an older house is going to have issues. And if they are major then it should be disclosed to the prospective buyer. This having to have a house perfect thing is kind of out of hand. Thanks for the feedback. The inspector is being reported and that company shall never set foot in our place should this deal fall through. It will be noted on any future contracts that they are not allowed in.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

vegas1500 wrote:IMO most home inspections are a waste of time.

If you are getting a mortgage then I think it is a requirement of the Lender to have a home inspection.

Having said that some inspectors are useless.
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Bsuds wrote:
vegas1500 wrote:IMO most home inspections are a waste of time.

If you are getting a mortgage then I think it is a requirement of the Lender to have a home inspection.

Having said that some inspectors are useless.

Not from my experience in AB or BC. I have had home inspections done in the past only because they were paid for due to relocation for work. In all the times, I found more “issues” than the inspectors. They won’t go on the roof (liability) don’t check foundations. It truly is a walk around visual. As for the comment above about personal belongings, what do you think happens when your house is for sale and people go through it. If the sellers were present during inspection, I’d walk from the deal. One has to have some faith in the realtor you use.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Post deleted because my head was in a deep, dark place.
Last edited by mexi cali on Feb 28th, 2020, 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

It is how the inspector and the buyers left our home in a mess. The light was broken, it wasn't before we left the house, the fan we have was jammed and made marks on the wall instead of just moving it to the side. There was no need to jam it between the bars of the treadmill and the wall and bending the legs on it at the bottom. Leaving a door unlocked until we the owners came home is unexcusable, and our deck is gated...hence it was slackness on his part to leave a locked gate open for thieves to enter the house.

When my house shows, I put away my valuables. I figured since a home inspector should be bonded I would have no issues, but to know the buyers were in my house walking around and snooping without an agent present is leaving things open to thievery. When they are with an agent they don't take such liberties. Drawers and closets left open says they were snooping. Leave my place the way you found it. Their agent was supposed to be here with the inspector and he wasn't. Would you want strangers in your house with kids running around - I sure don't. I was even told you can check electrical with some gadgets they have, circuitry etc without turning off the panel. Our breaker box is new and it shows it. The toilet seat lid wasn't missing, it was not put back on after the took it off. We had to put it back on it was sitting on an angle on the toilet.

As for leaving the house. Our first house sold with me and our two small children there. The realtors came to the door and asked to show it on short notice. It was raining and my one kid was napping. They came in and even they asked me questions on the house the realtor couldn't answer. It sold to that couple. And I never left my home. So as for the inspector being here with us home, he can still do his job with us sitting in the livingroom.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Grace; I re-read your original post and I see it in a whole new light. I misunderstood what you were saying and I now see that what you were pointing out weren't deficiencies, it was the state that they left your home in.

I agree with you wholeheartedly and I would be ticked too.

No way should they have been there with him and especially with kids.

I would be tearing my realtor a new one too for their failure to attend. Your house was opened to strangers without your knowledge and that is simply unacceptable.

Please accept my apologies. I am removing my previous post.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

I hired an inspector when we bought our house.
I came along with him and followed him through the house.
When he got to the walk-in closet which had a trap door for the attic, he mentioned that he didn't have a step ladder and maybe I could find one that belonged to the home owners. Are you kidding me? A house inspector with no ladder?
So I went and found one and he stuck his head up into the attic. Nothing up there of concern he said.

Several years later while a contractor was doing a major reno in our house, he stuck his head up into the attic and there right in front of his face, on the ceiling joist, was wiring for a three-way switch that had been cut. One wire was laying bare and resting on the joist. It had been sparking and had blackened the top of the joist. His comment You were damned lucky you still have a house. :swear:

After initially discovering that the ceiling fan mysteriously never worked, and was connected to this three-way, we had never bothered with it. How lucky could we be.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

To Mexi Cali

No problem, and no need to remove your post. Yeah, I am still mad about the mess that was left. And on top of it the deal fell through they couldn't get their financing in place by the date stated in the contract. So all of that for nothing.. aargh. lol lol
DebSS
Fledgling

Post by DebSS »

BB49 Wow, you were lucky it didn't burn down. At least our attic hatch is in the hallway. My mom in law's house had weird wiring. She asked her kids to replace a light in her living room on the ceiling. They turned off the power or so they thought. Someone noticed the light was glowing. Turns out it had other live wiring to it on another breaker and it was wired in to a bedroom ceiling light. Luckily no one was shocked and nothing burned down.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

GraceD wrote:BB49 Wow, you were lucky it didn't burn down. At least our attic hatch is in the hallway. My mom in law's house had weird wiring. She asked her kids to replace a light in her living room on the ceiling. They turned off the power or so they thought. Someone noticed the light was glowing. Turns out it had other live wiring to it on another breaker and it was wired in to a bedroom ceiling light. Luckily no one was shocked and nothing burned down.

^ Obviously the work was done by amateurs.

When buying a used house, I would strongly urge buyers to bring in a qualified electrician and have that person go over the entire house and updating everything in it.

I am still livid about what was found in our house, along with various other renos that were done by amateurs. So often I run into people that brag about doing their own electrical work. Are you kidding me?
And don't ask about the gyprocing and the plumbing botch jobs I've found. At least those issues don't usually burn down a house.

I have no qualms about hiring professionals.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)

Return to “Grab Bag”