My American Relatives including friendly *bleep* chat.

A potpourri of off-topics.
iSnack
Board Meister

Re: My American Relatives including friendly *bleep* chat.

Post by iSnack »

Glacier wrote:My dad did hitch hike all around the US after, and then made it down the Guatemala, and they took one look at his long hair, and said, "you must leave out country. Where are you from?" He said "Toronto", and got a free plane ride to a province he had never been to before.

Brilliant! [icon_lol2.gif]

They say my nephew is coming around from the virus. Isolated, but he still can't even get out of bed. The rest of his family's okay, considering.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Queen K wrote: . . . Moving to Canada any day soon? . . .

Seriously thinking about going back now . . ..

"He wrote a book about being homesick for Kentucky. Now he’s going to read it in every county"

http://www.the-messenger.com/arts_and_e ... a765d.html

That's it, we're out of here :cry:

He talks about writing in Kentucky. I wrote an unpublished novel in our screen ad-a-room to our cabin on Lake Barkley. It was tobacco curing season, and the scent of the wood smoke was drifting through . . ..

Gonna sell the house so we can afford the health insurance.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:Glacier, did he ever write a book about his hitchhiking adventures? :heart: (Having hitchhiked thousands of miles myself).

Nope, no book.

Today is a sad day because we lost another American draft dodger. RIP, Peter.

Peter moved up from Oregon with his common-law wife when they were 19. My parents raised me in one valley at the very end of the road, and then beyond. Over 3000m tall mountains in the next valley was another valley equally as rugged with Peter and his wife raising their kids beyond the end of the road.

We were extremely remote, so we didn't get a lot of company. You'd have to drive down a sketchy dirt road for an hour and some, and then hike down a trail to the cabin. But in the early 1980s we had some very interesting company from Germany. An airplane with rich Germans crashed in the Coast Mountains, and no one could find the wreckage, so they eventually hired some German psychics, who said that they would find the plane if they went down one of the coast mountain valleys from the east. At the very place they would find a family with the youngest child having a missing tooth. From the cabin they could hike up the side valley coming into the main valley and find the plane.

Just before that time my younger brother fell out of his high chair and knocked out a front tooth (thankfully a baby tooth). At the same time Peter and Ginger's youngest son had lost a front tooth from natural causes, but the Germans looking on behalf of the psychics didn't know that (neither did my parents at the time). Anyway, they found us in the most remote place you could be, and figured that they had found the spot. They look and looked up that valley and never found the plane.

Years later, I heard rumors that someone from Anahim Lake decided to look in the other valley and found a plane wreckage of some kind.

Anyway, back to Peter, He had chronic back pain, and did tend to self medicate with alcohol, so in the end his liver was fried. His children were not allowed in the hospital at the end because of Covid. He was quite the character and had so many unique talents that will be missed. Eg. he could hear a song once, and know how to play it on the guitar.

RIP, Peter.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:cry: oh Glace, what a lovely tribute to your friend. No words.
If Putin stopped, he'd be saving Russian lives as well. Never thought the right would have a field day but June 24/2022 it is.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Yes, how sad. May he rest in peace. Condolences to family and friends.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Today, we’ve been working on the positives and negatives on moving back to KY.

We have more immediate and extended family there than here.

Politics in Canada seem to have become similarly divisive—and dangerous.

Canada appears to have become more American over the years anyway:
Entertainment; media; consumerism; gun culture and violence; corporate control and takeover (for instance, even in the private sector of our National Parks) . . ..

As I mentioned, healthcare payments may be covered for years to come if we sell out here. Even at cost we feel we’ll be able to make an all-ways profit.

My Grampa died a couple of years ago and his vacant house has become available—if nobody needs it during or after this pandemic crisis.

It’s in a Vernon sized town with similar amenities—twenty-three years old, newly renovated in and out, solid and termite resistant, three bedrooms with two full baths and a two car garage on a passive creek--worth about 150,000 Canadian on today’s market.

So there is room for the Canada kids to visit—they’re still dithering on starting a family.

. . .

Good riddance?
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

My Kentucky nephew is on the recovered list.

A few shortages in the grocery stores—mostly meat.

Some worries about a neighbour who has an arsenal and anxiety issues, but Kentucky is among states that are in the best shape to re-open and everybody has either partially gone, or is ready to go back work.

Workplace plans are being made for social distancing, masks, temperature checks, and more testing.

So it looks like things might lighten up--of course, until the predicted second wave hits.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Oh, and I almost forgot, one of my American 'migrant' friend's kids is in this CBC story.

"Fly over a melting Haig glacier to see how it could change the Alberta-B.C. border"

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1736842819874
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Go Wildcats!

"Details of the hazing, alcohol, and nudity in UK Cheerleading investigation"

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/main/det ... ic-nudity/
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

How are things back home, you ask?

"Confederate groups claim they own memorial"

http://www.the-messenger.com/news/local ... 968aa.html

:panic: :laugh:

And them carpetbaggers absconded with the money they got for theirs.

“There are three sides to every story: yours, mine and the truth.” :up:
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

Starting tomorrow, immediate family may enter Canada, says Trudeau, but must self isolate for14 days.
iSnack
Board Meister

Post by iSnack »

"Canadians can still travel to the U.S. during the COVID-19 pandemic — just not by car"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/u-s-tra ... -1.5607741

Return to “Grab Bag”